Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

While we're happy to see the new addition to the neighborhood,let me remind you that the Trehel /Cargo building is rated C3.It was a simple matter of going to get a pemit.Doesn't that seem unfair to the Family Legacy building on the same block which is still unoccupied on the ground level and has to conform to RDV zoning restrictions?

23 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

While we're happy to see the new addition to the neighborhood,let me remind you that the Trehel /Cargo building is rated C3.It was a simple matter of going to get a pemit.Doesn't that seem unfair to the Family Legacy building on the same block which is still unoccupied on the ground level and has to conform to RDV zoning restrictions?

Did Family Legacy fight the rezoning? I don't remember it if they did. 

3 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Traffic backup on Pendleton St turning on to 123 at 4pm.Where is all this  traffic going to back up to if the proposed Road Diet is adopted?

20220103_160115.jpg

20220103_160122.jpg

20220103_160225.jpg

20220103_160231.jpg

That doesn’t look that bad tbh. But imagine if these folks could safely ride their bikes, not in competition with the cars, they would take up 2% of the space. That’s what the road diet will move towards. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

This is the traffic now with the road front nearly vacant. What about the future with hopefully some new retail,service and residential growth.Trafic would back up to Main St.and beyond.

Good. Slowing down traffic will increase foot traffic and, consequently, business patronage on the street.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMoxley said:

Good. Slowing down traffic will increase foot traffic and, consequently, business patronage on the street.

Downtown depends on business not only from local residents.People coming from out of town will be likely be driving not riding a bicycle or walking.Access into the city would be restricted for visitors and emergency services/vehicles alike as well.

10 minutes ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

Does that account for physical improvement/expenditure to the structure or is that pure profit on an unimproved flip?

No building permits are listed for 2020 or 2021 at that address, the 2019 list is no longer online since it just rolled off with the new year.   

23 hours ago, gman430 said:

I like this guy. I just might have to eat at OJ’s Diner tomorrow. :D We should even have a UP meet up there for lunch sometime. 

We've come to a new lease agreement with Greg and Jordan at OJ'S until the end of 2025 after extending our prior terms for a year due to the hardships that restaurants have had to endure  with Covid.It would be a pleasure for me to attend an UP meet up and discuss our differences on the vision for Pendleton St without the thumb of the city involved in the say.

Edited by Dino Hassiotis
Clarity

18 hours ago, Dino Hassiotis said:

We've come to a new lease agreement with Greg and Jordan at OJ'S until the end of 2025 after extending our prior terms for a year due to the hardships that restaurants have had to endure  with Covid.It would be a pleasure for me to attend an UP meet up and discuss our differences on the vision for Pendleton St without the thumb of the city involved in the say.

Have you ever approached the owner of the vacant lot next to your property about selling?  Having both properties would increase the value of both very significantly.  Just wondering if you ever pursued that. 

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

Have you ever approached the owner of the vacant lot next to your property about selling?  Having both properties would increase the value of both very significantly.  Just wondering if you ever pursued that. 

We tried to buy it in 1991,the owner was not interested in selling it at that time.Our father bought one lot in 1967 with a boarding house on it that later caught fire and was torn down.After the city took our former property in the plaza Bergamo he wanted to stay downtown to serve our customers,so we bought another lot on the opposite side. During the construction he had a stroke.Thats how we came to be on Pendleton St. 

Edited by Dino Hassiotis
Addition

On 12/30/2021 at 8:59 AM, vicupstate said:

Thanks. I missed that somehow.  As big as the WOW location on Washington is, I can see it costing that much to do the upfit. Seems like the name would need to change to WOP though. 

They are purposely branding to simply "WOW" moving away from W.O.W. and what it used to imply.  If they ever wanted to expand to more than one location, it makes sense to not be tied to a street let alone one they are not on :-)  I hope they do well at the new location.  It seems to have the potential to be  an anchor tenant drawing more people and spurring more investment on Pendleton.   The street itself is overdue for a makeover so it doesn't look so commercial IMHO.  This is becoming more integrated into downtown and needs to be more walkable soon.

Edited by gvegascple

On 1/3/2022 at 4:42 PM, Dino Hassiotis said:

Traffic backup on Pendleton St turning on to 123 at 4pm.Where is all this  traffic going to back up to if the proposed Road Diet is adopted?

20220103_160115.jpg

20220103_160231.jpg

When I see traffic backed up like this right next to an inviting cafe/coffee shop, I pull over to check it out.  Is this backup typical? it seems construction/accident/rubber necking related.   

I understand the hesitation with change, because it involves the unknown, but being against improvements to this area related to its pedestrian and residential growth just seems futile.  My guess is if the rent is raised on OJs you will need to have either more customers, customers that are willing to pay more for food, or add longer hours and alcohol sales (or buy out the owner.)  I have a business on King St so I completely understand that concern as it is one I personally have.  I also know that resistance to what I like to call "what is" only leads to stress and pain.  Eventually, rent increases will only allow for certain businesses to profit and one day that will exclude. mine.  I am planning my next move so that I can flow with progress and not get run over by it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1