Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

On 10/5/2016 at 11:38 AM, vicupstate said:

Planning Commission approved an application from Mark Thoennes Builders LLC to develop 10 townhouses on 0.65 acres on the southwest corner of Arlington Avenue and South Leach Street. The action was subject to staff approval of site lighting, fence details and final materials and colors.

This project is internally funded, so hopefully we will see some demo work soon.   

Does anyone have any experience in this area with power line burial? The proposal from Mark Thoennes looks nice and will do a lot for the neighborhood, but the facade will only be a shell of what it could be with all these power lines hanging in the way.

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8421858,-82.4175506,3a,75y,281.01h,87.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8Y7nCIZjIIZx_efNJio3kA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg
added link

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2016 at 1:01 PM, vicupstate said:

Planning Commission approved an application from Mark Thoennes Builders LLC to develop 10 townhouses on 0.65 acres on the southwest corner of Arlington Avenue and South Leach Street. The action was subject to staff approval of site lighting, fence details and final materials and colors.

This project is internally funded, so hopefully we will see some demo work soon.   

Demolition complete, debris removal nearly finished. 

On 1/2/2017 at 8:02 AM, chuckyvt said:

The Spinx at Pendleton and Academy appears to be open!  

Something I notice more and more these days is light pollution and this new sphinx has mostly down turned lighting, its lit up well  but the light does not seem to escape very much above or beyond the plaza.  Nice work.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

The three properties at 609 Arlington, 101 Sumner an 105 Sumner are each staked off. These are adjacent to the 10 unit project at Arlington and Leach. I have no inside info., but I would love for these to be bought by that developer and they double the size of that project. The acreage is sufficient to do so.  

On 4/6/2017 at 8:00 PM, vicupstate said:

The three properties at 609 Arlington, 101 Sumner an 105 Sumner are each staked off. These are adjacent to the 10 unit project at Arlington and Leach. I have no inside info., but I would love for these to be bought by that developer and they double the size of that project. The acreage is sufficient to do so.  

I would hate to see the neighborhood lose the big white house at the corner of Sumner and Arlington. I live down the street on Arlington and can picture that being an amazing property if someone with the right mindset got their hands on it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2017 at 8:00 PM, vicupstate said:

609 Arlington and 101 Sumner (same seller) have sold to Carolina Crafted Construction.  CCC is currently building the five houses at Calhoun and Griffin. It will be interesting to see if they also buy 105 Sumner and if they plan to renovate these two houses or tear down and build four houses in place of the two there now. 

On 5/24/2017 at 8:59 AM, vicupstate said:

609 Arlington and 101 Sumner (same seller) have sold to Carolina Crafted Construction.  CCC is currently building the five houses at Calhoun and Griffin. It will be interesting to see if they also buy 105 Sumner and if they plan to renovate these two houses or tear down and build four houses in place of the two there now. 

Spoke with the builder yesterday. They plan to take down the two homes currently there. Apparently the big white house at 101 Sumner St. is structurally unsound, which is extremely disappointing. Another interesting bit of info he had was that the house was not originally built on that site. It was moved to that location at some point in the past. 

In the place of those homes, they plan to build 5 new homes, 4 facing Arlington and 1 facing Sumner St. There will be a public hearing prior to a Planning Commission meeting on the project, but dates were not confirmed.

21 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Spoke with the builder yesterday. They plan to take down the two homes currently there. Apparently the big white house at 101 Sumner St. is structurally unsound, which is extremely disappointing. Another interesting bit of info he had was that the house was not originally built on that site. It was moved to that location at some point in the past. 

In the place of those homes, they plan to build 5 new homes, 4 facing Arlington and 1 facing Sumner St. There will be a public hearing prior to a Planning Commission meeting on the project, but dates were not confirmed.

hmmmm, the old "house is unsound" bit.  How lucky for the builder since they really want multiple homes on that spot.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am hearing that 6, not 5 houses are going on the two Sumner/Arlington parcels. The house on the corner is gone now, btw.  

Also, the triplex at Perry/Rhett/Ware intersection will be torn down and replaced with either three houses or three Townhouses if approvals are obtained. The triplex just sold for $260k.  

Between tearing down for new construction, and the horrible remodeling some house flippers are doing, it's disappointing to see the historic architecture of the West End neighborhoods slowly disappearing house by house.  The city needs to have some new historic districts established before there's not much left to preserve.

This great house on Ware St was recently stripped of all it's original architectural detail and now looks pretty boring compared to what it once was.

29461263173_70b6cb4060_z.jpg

29461319473_166f7c8696_z.jpg

On 7/26/2017 at 9:56 AM, sc smitty said:

Between tearing down for new construction, and the horrible remodeling some house flippers are doing, it's disappointing to see the historic architecture of the West End neighborhoods slowly disappearing house by house.  The city needs to have some new historic districts established before there's not much left to preserve.

This great house on Ware St was recently stripped of all it's original architectural detail and now looks pretty boring compared to what it once was.

29461263173_70b6cb4060_z.jpg

29461319473_166f7c8696_z.jpg

agreed

• 3 months later...

Not sure if someone posted this yet or not, the old yellow house on the corner of Perry by the previous Zanti Yoga location has been torn down and the lot subdivided with three homes for sale squeezed in.  Running from 595K and up too.  The houses have to take up every square inch of land in order to get three to fit.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16-Perry-Ave-3_Greenville_SC_29601_M69979-83581#photo4

1 hour ago, gvegascple said:

Not sure if someone posted this yet or not, the old yellow house on the corner of Perry by the previous Zanti Yoga location has been torn down and the lot subdivided with three homes for sale squeezed in.  Running from 595K and up too.  The houses have to take up every square inch of land in order to get three to fit.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/16-Perry-Ave-3_Greenville_SC_29601_M69979-83581#photo4

Ironic that they market the property as being in the "Historic West End" at the same time as they destroy the thing that makes the area historic.

22 hours ago, sc smitty said:

Ironic that they market the property as being in the "Historic West End" at the same time as they destroy the thing that makes the area historic.

I totally agree with this and also understand the pull to sell vs maintain an older home.   Once the profits hit a tipping point, it makes a tough decision easier I imagine.  I think this location was fairly run down and already had many of its architectural features deteriorated beyond reasonable repair.  There are tax breaks the city offers for keeping/restoring older architecturally significant homes, but they only last ten years tops.  After that I would imagine selling  at a huge profit vs maintaining and paying a huge increase in property taxes pushes many out of being able to maintain.   Maybe the city could offer extensions to owners when they hit that ten year mark.  Otherwise ten years from now there will be another construction boom tearing down more of these historic homes.

On 11/6/2017 at 9:32 AM, sc smitty said:

Years and years ago I used to live on Perry Ave. Believe me there is nothing historic there or at least nothing worth preserving. 

7 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Years and years ago I used to live on Perry Ave. Believe me there is nothing historic there or at least nothing worth preserving. 

Not even close to accurate. Several very attractive homes have been renovated there in recent years, and they are excellent examples of the architectural period they came from. 

• Like 1