Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

22 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

There's so many useless 4 lane roads in Greenville that need to be "road dieted" down to 2 as soon as possible. I'm hoping the Augusta Street "trial" results in good information to start pulling the trigger.  As we saw there, the city can make this sort of change overnight if they wanted to in order to test traffic patterns.

Pendleton Street and Cleveland St by the YMCA are the most egregious, in my opinion. 

Way back in the day--say, roughly pre-1973-ish, when their campus near the sewage plant off Mauldin Rd. was completed--the Y hosted CCES's upper school. I'm not sure how long that relationship lasted, but that's the only  thing I can think of to account for that 4-lane stretch of Cleveland, which has puzzled me, too. It may be a relic of a 50-years-defunct state of affairs.

1 hour ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

Traffic backup exceeding three blocks turning left unto 123 from Pendleton St now.What's going to happen in the future with hopefully some new retail businesses?

There are remedies traffic back-ups. For one, the traffic signal's timing can be adjusted  to allow for adequate flow. Look at the bright side, all of those folks sitting outside of your property get a chance to study your building and its associated business. Free advertising. ;)

1 hour ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

Traffic backup exceeding three blocks turning left unto 123 from Pendleton St now.What's going to happen in the future with hopefully some new retail businesses?

I think when people suggest going to 1 lane each direction, we are talking about travel lanes.  The traffic you show is for left turns which is a different issue dependent on signal timing and turn lane queueing.  You can still have a nice good turn lane at the Academy intersection, but dieting the rest of Pendleton down to 1 lane each direction (especially as you're showing in your pictures... there's basically no travel traffic) will  help make this be a more pleasurable experience for pedestrians, cyclists, and even driving local business-goers.  I'm not sure what your motivations are, but a road diet should substantially increase the likelihood of good businesses entering the area along with walking traffic to existing establishments.

Edited by NewlyUpstate

39 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

I think when people suggest going to 1 lane each direction, we are talking about travel lanes.  The traffic you show is for left turns which is a different issue dependent on signal timing and turn lane queueing.  You can still have a nice good turn lane at the Academy intersection, but dieting the rest of Pendleton down to 1 lane each direction (especially as you're showing in your pictures... there's basically no travel traffic) will  help make this be a more pleasurable experience for pedestrians, cyclists, and even driving local business-goers.  I'm not sure what your motivations are, but a road diet should substantially increase the likelihood of good businesses entering the area along with walking traffic to existing establishments.

What constitutes a good business and a bad business? And how does that apply to RDV and the proposed road diet?

13 minutes ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

What constitutes a good business and a bad business? And how does that apply to RDV and the proposed road diet?

My general philosophy about city building is that a downtown area should have something "accessible" on all ground floors within commercial districts.  This can include things like retail, restaurants, bars, hotels, entertainment, services (haircuts, salons, etc), city services (libraries, courts, administration), office buildings with public lobbies, etc.  Above ground floor should be residential or office space.  Once you get off the main commercial street, I'm more open to residential on ground floors - things like townhomes and walk out apartments would fit here.

Those are "good businesses" to me.  Bad businesses in commercial areas are those inaccessible to the public - things like manufacturing, industrial, warehouses, personal storage, office buildings that are totally locked down, etc.

The proposed road diet will make the pedestrian experience better.  Adding landscaping, better lighting, and improved infrastructure will improve that. Then you hit the vicious cycle of more public friendly businesses leads to more pedestrians and vice versa and it all takes off from there.  From my understanding, RDV is supposed to help the city go after these kind of opportunities in areas they are trying to target for redevelopment.

Edited by NewlyUpstate
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NewlyUpstate said:

My general philosophy about city building is that a downtown area should have something "accessible" on all ground floors within commercial districts.  This can include things like retail, restaurants, bars, hotels, entertainment, services (haircuts, salons, etc), city services (libraries, courts, administration), office buildings with public lobbies, etc.  Above ground floor should be residential or office space.  Once you get off the main commercial street, I'm more open to residential on ground floors - things like townhomes and walk out apartments would fit here.

Those are "good businesses" to me.  Bad businesses in commercial areas are those inaccessible to the public - things like manufacturing, industrial, warehouses, personal storage, office buildings that are totally locked down, etc.

The proposed road diet will make the pedestrian experience better.  Adding landscaping, better lighting, and improved infrastructure will improve that. Then you hit the vicious cycle of more public friendly businesses leads to more pedestrians and vice versa and it all takes off from there.  From my understanding, RDV is supposed to help the city go after these kind of opportunities in areas they are trying to target for redevelopment.

Is a business with a drive thru a bad business?

56 minutes ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

Found her,ironically her husband used to own Gringos Cantina until his special exemption was taken away during the Covid dining room closures 

Nope. Had NOTHING to do with Covid or a grandfather clause. He failed to meet the requirements of his special exception 

Gringo’s after-hours alcohol fight spills into 13th Circuit Court

On 8/23/2022 at 12:44 PM, vicupstate said:

Nope. Had NOTHING to do with Covid or a grandfather clause. He failed to meet the requirements of his special exception 

Gringo’s after-hours alcohol fight spills into 13th Circuit Court

My point is that special exceptions should not be allowed and are not worth the paper they written on.A zoning classification should be clearly worded as to what is allowed and what is not allowed.Special exceptions only help the rich and powerful who can use their wealth and influence to litigate their preferences into being.Witness the Enigma Corporation getting themselves out of RDV and the Stone Family trust getting themselves changed to RDV.

Edited by Dino C Hassiotis
Spelling

23 hours ago, Dino C Hassiotis said:

My point is that special exemptions should not be allowed and are not worth the paper they written on.A zoning classification should be clearly worded as to what is allowed and what is not allowed.Special exemptions only help the rich and powerful who can use their wealth and influence to litigate their preferences into being.Witness the Enigma Corporation getting themselves out of RDV and the Stone Family trust getting themselves changed to RDV.

Special Exceptions (not exemptions) are allowed uses that require approval. These ADD to what can be done with a piece of property, not reduce the number of uses. Regardless, neither Sphinx nor Stone Family used one.  As has already been explained to you, Sphinx was allowed to keep the zoning they already had based  on the fact that all of the other three corners of the intersection had the same zoning, and the property fronted not only Pendleton but the much higher trafficked Academy St (US 123).        

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Demolition on the bungalow at 9 Mallard Street is now underway. This is part of the footprint of the project at Pendleton and Mallard .

What is this project exactly? I could be totally making it up, but I feel I have a distant memory of a small hotel proposed on or near this site. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...