Pendleton Street [between West End and West Greenville]

vicupstate

4 minutes ago, gvegascple said:

Are they going on either side of the building thats currently there?  I am really curious now.  It looks like they are building on top of what is there.  Would love to see an elevation of the project

Yes. One is on the East side at the front and the other is on the West side in the back.

34 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

Yes. One is on the East side at the front and the other is on the West side in the back.

I thought they would be saving the barrel-roof of the building for the restaurant but now it looks like the new building will be on top of that.  I doubt it will be cantilevered over the old structure.  Or will it?  This one has my curiosity peaked.

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

It MAY be that the new building is wrapping around the existing building in an L-shape or it may build 'over' the existing building.  If it is the later, I would  expect some sort of support on the front west side is required. 

I think I remember seeing the stairwell structure having doorway openings that open into the space above the old building, could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, apaladin said:

Thanks for all the great pics gman430. Glad you are working from home. :rofl:Where is the first picture and what will it be? thanks

Pshhh...staying home is for the birds especially when it’s 70 and sunny outside. 

The first picture is across Academy Street from the new Burger King right there where it intersects with Pendleton Street. It’s gonna be Trehel Corp’s new headquarters. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

This building is going to make a big presence at Pendleton and Academy. Hopefully a destination restaurant tenant ends up here as it would do huge things for the neighborhood. The short walk from my house ain't bad either :)

Trehel.JPG

Interesting. What's the significance of the building they're preserving?

I'm devastated. The last major piece of green space in the West End, "The Grassy Knoll" at the corner of St. Francis Dr. and Arlington Ave. is now slated as construction laydown space and parking for ~200 contractors... for the next 3-4 YEARS, as the hospital constructs a new Emergency Department and refaces the St. Francis Downtown hospital tower. 

I awoke yesterday to the sound of front loaders and rollers just outside my home. We got in contact with a VP at Bon Secours St. Francis who informed the neighborhood of the plans as the work was starting.

The hospital has promised that once construction is complete, that "The Grassy Knoll" will be returned to its former state. I relish the day and am doubtful it comes. I am also doubtful the old oaks will make it with the constant and heavy traffic around their root beds. There are 3 hawks that have nested in these trees for the past 2 years, I should probably say goodbye to them as well.

The contractor, Vannoy, was actually very gracious and was willing to work with the neighborhood when they realized we had not been informed about the plans for the knoll. The original entrance had the crews and delivery vehicles entering the field along Arlington between two large oaks. The neighborhood was able to push back and have the entrance moved to the old ENT property parking lot at the corner of Arlington and Sumner, hopefully we helped save the trees for a bit longer. They have since recovered the area between the trees and seeded it, as seen in one of the pics below. They've also agreed to put up or leave down construction fencing around their Conex trailers, depending on the neighborhood's wishes, which I thought was a nice concession. 

I wish there was more we could do as a community, but unfortunately, this is Bon Secours property and they are entitled to the highest and best use of the space. At this point, that seems to be parking and staging. This oak dotted knoll was a place many would walk thru throughout the week, garnering a sense of peace. Now it will just be another dusty inventory area. This is just tragic, both for our neighborhood and the city as a whole. :(

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0200.JPG

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

• Like 2

UPDATE: Bon Secours and Vannoy have agreed to do no more grading on "The Grassy Knoll" after conversations with many individuals in the neighborhood. They have revised their plans to use the parking lot at the old ENT building at the corner of Arlington and Sumner for placing Conex trailers. The currently graded area will be finished and filled with gravel for contractor parking, but no more grading will be done further down the site, so the majority of the knoll will be saved!

I want to give a big shoutout to Karen Schwartz from Bon Secours St. Francis and the contractor team from Vannoy Construction  for coming out to meet with neighbors in person and being will to make changes to their plan based on feedback from the community. This gives me a lot of hope for the future of the parcel and a lot of confidence in the direction at St. Francis. Amazing how a few hours and some civil discussion can change things in the world of development.

THIS is why Greenville is a great place to live!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/6902?fileID=33545

I remember when the Overlay District was created and then when Pendleton was rezoned to RDV, but not sure I fully understand the benefits/drawbacks of being inside one of these combos (overlay + RDV). Looks like 17 acres, including the new Trehel project are being rezoned to be outside of the West Greenville Neighborhood Revitalization Overlay District at the next City Council meeting. Most of the properties listed are staying RDV, but the Trehel project and the rest of the Gateway 10, LLC (aka Spinx) properties are being converted back to C3. Anyone have any insight on what this really means? Thanks in advance!

Edit: the Gateway 10 props were apparently not converted to RDV, similar to the Burger King lot across the street. The only change is removing the West Greenville NRO. What's the point?

Edited by Joey_Blackdogg

1 hour ago, vicupstate said:

A couple of recent sales in the area:

Pendleton Street Baptist  purchased the vacant lot at 119 Arlington on 4/21/20 for $200k.  PSBC recently purchased the adjoining lot/building at Arlington and Anderson.

13 Mallard St sold on 4/28 for $210k.  

Interesting. Do you think the church will relocate to sell its current land?

The last I heard the church was still figuring out the ultimate mission/purpose of their new Arlington Ave. property.  Whether it was just to provide space for certain programs or be their full home was not disclosed/decided.  They don't have a lot of members though, so they could probably do either. 

As for their Main St/Markley property they are getting a decent stream of income from parking and seem to be content with that for now. They do get LOTS of calls on that property though.  My hope would be the city buys it for parking , with the money they get from county square to build a West End garage.   Ideally the city would build at least two smaller garages rather than one big one.  

5 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The last I heard the church was still figuring out the ultimate mission/purpose of their new Arlington Ave. property.  Whether it was just to provide space for certain programs or be their full home was not disclosed/decided.  They don't have a lot of members though, so they could probably do either. 

As for their Main St/Markley property they are getting a decent stream of income from parking and seem to be content with that for now. They do get LOTS of calls on that property though.  My hope would be the city buys it for parking , with the money they get from county square to build a West End garage.   Ideally the city would build at least two smaller garages rather than one big one.  

That's a good thought. Maybe if they could get ahold of the Citgo property to make a really nice bookend for Main Street. That location for a parking garage makes total sense though. Just wrap it in apartments/condos and retail/offices and I'd be happy.

My preference would be to build garages on the GTA site and either PSBC or the CAP/Allen Temple property across Main from the PSBC property. 

As for Citgo, the plans in the works are for a residential project there, assuming that hasn't changed.  I suspect it will have an internal garage for itself.      

On 4/30/2020 at 6:08 PM, vicupstate said:

My preference would be to build garages on the GTA site and either PSBC or the CAP/Allen Temple property across Main from the PSBC property. 

As for Citgo, the plans in the works are for a residential project there, assuming that hasn't changed.  I suspect it will have an internal garage for itself.      

Wherever the city puts the garage, I hope it's not just a garage and is wrapped with retail and offices/residential. Standalone garages create such dead space. 

• Like 1