New Minnesota United FC Soccer Stadium

Twin Citian

The Minnesota United FC has announced their plans to build a new MLS soccer stadium in St. Paul’s Midway neighborhood.  The neighborhood gets its name for being located between the downtowns of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Stadium Details:

* The MN United FC will privately finance the $120 million stadium* The stadium will have a capacity 20,000

* Design of the stadium will be led by Kansas City-based Populous

* Minneapolis-based Mortenson Construction, has been chosen as the construction manager 

Site Details:

The 10-acre site is at the northeast corner of Snelling Ave. and I-94.  It was most recently used for transit vehicle storage and was a bus depot at one point.

The site is part of a larger 34.5-acre “super block” that includes the Midway Shopping Center and is bound by University Ave., Snelling Ave., Pascal St., and I-94. 

The owner of the Midway Shopping center, New York-based RD Management, has already enlisted United Properties to explore redevelopment of the remaining 25 acres.  RD Management and United Properties representative have stated they are anticipating high-density redevelopment.

Other:

* The Snelling Avenue light rail station (Green Line) is 2 blocks from the site.  This will be the 10th major stadium / arena either on or within a short walking distance of light-rail transit.  The others include Target Field, Target Center, US Bank Stadium, TCF Bank Stadium, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Ridder Arena, CHS Field, and Xcel Energy Center.

* There are roughly 80,000 residents within 2 miles of the stadium and almost 400,000 within 5 miles.

* Team ownership is hoping for a May or June 2016 ground breaking and a 2018 completion.

76507a11fc5dbf90a354155fe6d38d80.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Members of the St. Paul's Snelling-Midway Community Advisory Council recently met with the owner of the MN United FC, Bill McGuire, and Rick Rirdoff, owner of RK Midway to present their vision of what the 34.5 acre bus barn site and Midway Center will look like.

Highlights:

- McGuire and RK Midway has chosen S9 Architecture to help design the area surrounding the new stadium.  S9 worked on the redevelopment of the area around the Ottawa Fury's stadium (see below).

- The area will look more like an urban village when the project is completed. The 35 acre Midway Center along with the bus barn site is equivalent to 12 square city blocks.

- Regarding the stadium - McGuire stated he wants a roof that covers most of the seating (see below)

- More specifics and visuals will be unveiled sometime 

Stadium Location

397074b5491a29be403995ec4393dee5.jpg

Landsdowne Park in Ottawa 

JTYYmmF.jpg

A potential profile of the stadium overlapped with Target Field

ccs-12-0-45409900-1452272839_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

The MN United FC unveiled designs for its new stadium and its rebuilt surroundings today.  They also released additional information about the project.

* $150+ million

* 23,500 capacity plus standing room and option for future expansions

* 2018 completion date

* 5 to 10 year build-out plan that will be in phases

* Phase 1 will include the corner development of Snelling and University

* A number of buildings ranging from 6 to 20-stories are planned.

* Mixed-use of residential, office, retail, hotel, movie theater, and health club

* United Properties has been named the office developer

* No permanent surface parking.

* Bike network will be integrated

* LED lighting will depend on time of day

CcAdEkKUAAAUem0.jpg:medium

CcAdETmUkAAm7Z7.jpg:medium

Looking SE

CcAeZ_aUEAE2FN7.jpg:medium

Looking SE

bOKoEYd.jpg

Looking West:

CcAdY55UcAAQ-b_.jpg?fit=620%2C350px

Looking South:

3krwlsP.jpg

sW0IQ90.jpg

Looking NW (looks like some serious landscape upgrades along the freeway)

hzAbEE5.jpg

lHqG1LQ.jpg

• 9 months later...
4 hours ago, Twin Citian said:

The MN United FC will be holding a groundbreaking ceremony for their St. Paul stadium tomorrow (Monday).

Is it unchanged from the renderings in your February post?  That's a really decent looking stadium.  I lived up your way for 8 years, and spent a lot of weekends in the cities.  Minneapolis-St. Paul is my favorite northern city (Metro) just edging out Chicago IMO. 

13 hours ago, The ATX said:

Is it unchanged from the renderings in your February post?  That's a really decent looking stadium.  I lived up your way for 8 years, and spent a lot of weekends in the cities.  Minneapolis-St. Paul is my favorite northern city (Metro) just edging out Chicago IMO. 

There haven't been any changes to the renderings so it will be interesting to see how the stadium fits with the neighborhood.  I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Midway area, but it's been going through a lot of changes since the Green Line light-rail line opened.  

BTW, I like your Daniel Johnston profile photo.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2016 at 9:08 PM, The ATX said:

If you knew that before doing a Google. I'm impressed. :)  Most people just know it as one of the cool pieces of Austin wall art that tourists take pictures in front of.

Thanks.  I've been a fan of his since the early 90s.  

Regarding the stadium: the capacity will be 19,916, with a future capacity of 24,474.  Also, the pitch size will be 120 yards by 75 yards.

New(er) Rendering: CzgLPedVEAA1tXo.jpg

• 2 months later...

Allianz has announced that it will have naming rights to the new MN United FC's stadium.  In addition to Allianz Field in St. Paul, the company has naming rights to Bayern Munich's stadium, Allianz Arena.

Allianz to Sponsor Minnesota United's Stadium

"...German insurance company Allianz, which has its U.S.-based operations headquartered in Minnesota (Twin Cities area), has secured naming rights for Minnesota United’s future stadium..."

Confirmed: New Minnesota United Stadium to be Sponsored by Allianz

"...the name for the new facility is all but finalized. What we now refer to as “the Midway site” will soon be known as Allianz Field.

Archived