Jayvee

Bank of America Plaza Renovation

73 posts in this topic

Civil plans were approved and building permits were issued yesterday. Overall, the site plan seems rather difficult to make out, but the materials being used on the facade are fantastic and it looks like it will be a great addition. 2 outdoor patio areas and a massive human scale presence on Tryon.

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/30951/bank-of-america-plaza-renovations/

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


That is awesome. I count three retail spaces - and more importantly two of them are fronting Tryon Street. This will be a fantastic change to our signature intersection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Spartan said:

That is awesome. I count three retail spaces - and more importantly two of them are fronting Tryon Street. This will be a fantastic change to our signature intersection.

Yeah I thought it was 3 as well, but the site plan is pretty wonky, and they might be wanting to do shell space to adapt to size needs????

I love the materials they are using for the sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think its not a site plan.  I think it is a building plan.  The top faces Tryon, the left faces the alley (toward MJ) and the right side faces the disco puck.  bottom right is the plaza space at the entrance to overstreet.  the center is the elevator banks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

I don't think its not a site plan.  I think it is a building plan.  The top faces Tryon, the left faces the alley (toward MJ) and the right side faces the disco puck.  bottom right is the plaza space at the entrance to overstreet.  the center is the elevator banks

The document that image was taken from has that page labeled as "site plan" it is a site plan, just from a civil perspective, not architectural 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I'm interpreting the graphics correctly, it appears the entire base will be wrapped with retail spots? That's great.

 

I'm very curious to see the renderings to get an idea of what they have envisioned as far as the general makeup up their tenants. Very curious if the Tryon retail spaces lean more towards restaurant space or towards national retailers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If I'm interpreting the graphics correctly, it appears the entire base will be wrapped with retail spots? That's great.

 

I'm very curious to see the renderings to get an idea of what they have envisioned as far as the general makeup up their tenants. Very curious if the Tryon retail spaces lean more towards restaurant space or towards national retailers. 

 

I'm gonna guess restaurants given the patio space but who knows. We will have renderings early next year, and I think this project is going to move very fast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is magnificent. It was awful for them to not have a better street presence being at such a prime location right in the center of uptown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

If I'm interpreting the graphics correctly, it appears the entire base will be wrapped with retail spots? That's great.

 

I'm very curious to see the renderings to get an idea of what they have envisioned as far as the general makeup up their tenants. Very curious if the Tryon retail spaces lean more towards restaurant space or towards national retailers. 

 

It looks like the lobby portion that faces the plaza with the circular seating area will remain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here it is guys. $20 million, 4 retail spaces being added. Q1 2017 completion. Love it. 

Tryon_-_Night_-_Smokers_Alley.png

Tryon_-_Night_-_Smokers_Alley_-_Color.png

BofA_Plaza_Lobby.png

Smokers_Alley_side.png

Tryon_-_Day_-_Smokers_Alley.png

Edited by Jayvee
4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Here it is guys. $20 million, 48 THOUSAND SF of retail being added. Q1 2017 completion. Love it. 

Tryon_-_Night_-_Smokers_Alley.png

Tryon_-_Night_-_Smokers_Alley_-_Color.png

BofA_Plaza_Lobby.png

Smokers_Alley_side.png

Tryon_-_Day_-_Smokers_Alley.png

Its a nice high quality building that is a huge upgrade from what is there now. However, I find it vapid, lifeless and I'm disappointed in the way they are treating the seating areas. Its as corporate and charlotte as it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can they really fit 48,000 SF of retail there?  Do you think maybe some of that is lobby space?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Its a nice high quality building that is a huge upgrade from what is there now. However, I find it vapid, lifeless and I'm disappointed in the way they are treating the seating areas. Its as corporate and charlotte as it gets.

Yes, this is my complaint about the seating area as well. HOWEVER, I would venture to guess this aspect will look different than the renderings. This is probably an initial push to get it out there and make BofA smile. At the end of the day, this is the BANK OF AMERICA PLAZA building and is primarily occupied by BANK OF AMERICA. So it kind of is what it is. Essex had a hard enough time dealing with corporate Omni, I can only imagine what a pain it is to appease BofA. They have to go safe in a lot of elements unfortunately. 

 

Can they really fit 48,000 SF of retail there?  Do you think maybe some of that is lobby space?

As far as this goes, yeah that's not an accurate retail number, I need to edit that. My bad

Edited by Jayvee
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The seating seems like an afterthought, but maybe that isn't the focus if it is mainly non-restaurant retail. Much better than the current interaction with the street, but perhaps the seating can be modified if an actual restaurant tenant occupies the space. 

What happens to the Disc? I don't see it in the renderings... will it be moved?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, CLT2014 said:

The seating seems like an afterthought, but maybe that isn't the focus if it is mainly non-restaurant retail. Much better than the current interaction with the street, but perhaps the seating can be modified if an actual restaurant tenant occupies the space. 

What happens to the Disc? I don't see it in the renderings... will it be moved?

Disc is staying, like the seating, I don't think that was the point they are trying to get across with this initial presentation. I think it's more along the lines of, hey the building will look better. I am finding out more on this sitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small but nice touch is the opening up of the lobby to the corner of Trade/Tryon. Maybe not an entrance but looks like at least there is some light coming in from open windows. For those that know the building, this would be once you enter the current lobby and look to the right. Currently I recall there is a security desk/office there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. It's better than what is there now! 

Edit- Talking about the disc, I remember when i was younger, back in the 80's, you could actually turn it. I thought it was pretty cool!

Edited by Piedmont767

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

Disc is staying, like the seating, I don't think that was the point they are trying to get across with this initial presentation. I think it's more along the lines of, hey the building will look better. I am finding out more on this sitch

OK cool. The renderings make it look like there will be more space between the disc and the seating. In reality I think it will be a bit tighter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just won't be as open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

OK cool. The renderings make it look like there will be more space between the disc and the seating. In reality I think it will be a bit tighter, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just won't be as open.

Yeah it's going to be tight, I am actually not sure how that will work out specially. I think the biggest challenge this project will have for finding unique tenants and quirky outdoor design is the fact BofA is the primary tenant. They need safe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing the asking rent for the retail spots will filter out most independent / quirky tenants anyhow. Hello franchise fast casual. It would be awesome that we could get a place uniquely Charlotte, like a Paper Skyscraper, to open their doors at this prominent intersection. Would be good for tourists. 

Edited by CLT2014
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My initial thought is once again..... It's better than nothing. I have to say I'm disappointed slightly. It looks slightly uninviting. I'm viewing it on an iPhone so maybe my phone doesn't do It justice. Hopefully whe tenants are announced, it will look more inviting. (And for the folks who get their panties twisted because I would've liked to see something a little different, bite me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I'm guessing the asking rent for the retail spots will filter out most independent / quirky tenants anyhow. Hello franchise fast casual. It would be awesome that we could get a place uniquely Charlotte, like a Paper Skyscraper, to open their doors at this prominent intersection. Would be good for tourists. 

Rent will be prohibitive yes, but probably no more than Essex, so there is still hope for upscale restaurants haha. I am hoping for goods and services here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated retail SF number: 20k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Examining it further, the front side facing Tryon actually does look nice. The renderings don't show the Tryon side too well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.