Bank of America Plaza Renovation

CLTProductions

Retrofitting retail back in to these buildings or carving out retail from what was oversized lobbies in the 80s/90s is the way forward. 

Bingo!  You cannot build retail too far from the worker pool.  Too far south on Tryon and ou lose BOA and Hearst for an easy lunch hour shopping, Too far north and you lose Wells, Duke etc.  Get rid of the services shops on Tryon and replace with impulse retail

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On January 30, 2016 at 2:07 PM, dubone said:

The railroad land was and likely still is a very long term blocker.

I had heard that NCRR was in the process of selling off nonessential land. Clearly this is no longer essential to the operations of the Rail Road, so I'd think we would see them unload this land in the next 5-10 years.

The NCRR half-block could be blessed with rainbows and everlasting sunshine, and Brevard will still not be a retail street.   

Realistically if that block were developed with retail it would probably make every effort to orient itself toward Tryon and Epicenter and not Brevard.  

I took a run down Brevard the other day, and the city doesn't even use their window boxes in Nascar HOF in any type of engaging way.   They simply put sticker billboards up on them and called it a day.   There are plenty of better streets to turn to, even Trade itself.   But Brevard has gone nowhere fast since that plan was put on the books.  

Only relevant to this topic insomuch as I believe Tryon to be the real corridor for street retail growth and not the ill-conceived Brevard Plan. 

But here is a recent NCRR that disproves the theory that the downtown property is going to be sold.  

This document from a few years ago assesses various property holdings away from the core railroad corridors.  It references the parcels in Uptown (they hold several parcels beyond the most well known half-block at 3rd and Brevard).  They also own the parking lot that uptown Avis uses, the quarter block next to the Charlotte Plaza deck, and some other slivers of land in that vicinity).   The combined property tax values of those parcels is $32.6M and they apparently make (only) $81k in revenue from it.   But they have a lease for the land through 2067 to Norfolk Southern who then subleased them out to the commercial operators of the parking lots.  

So on NCRR's own report that talks about the desire to sell of land holdings throughout the state, they have listed these parcels as ones to retain because they are generating income, and presumably the lease and sublease would not make them ideal for sale. 

http://www.ncleg.net/PED/Reports/documents/NCRR/NCRR_Report.pdf

BUT, they have said that as the lease with Norfolk-Southern increases rent in 2019, they may reassess the situation and see if they could make the land sale, but the lease would continue through 2067, so then it would be up to Norfolk Southern to participate with a land buyer to make a commercial development happen, so NCRR's sale of the land is a bit moot.    I'm sure there is more to that complex situation, but overall neither NCRR nor N-S would be paying much attention to trying to contributing to a retail corridor. 

My original point seems to be true after this research that the Railroad land will be a long term blocker for any pipe dream of a Brevard retail corridor, even if the city could fix its 4 behemoths CTC, CCC, NHoF, TWC Arena) that are even worse.   Tryon FTW!

4 hours ago, dubone said:

My original point seems to be true after this research that the Railroad land will be a long term blocker for any pipe dream of a Brevard retail corridor, even if the city could fix its 4 behemoths CTC, CCC, NHoF, TWC Arena) that are even worse.   Tryon FTW!

Friggen railroads....but yeah I agree there's literally no hope for Brevard (good luck Embassy Hotel retail tenants) and Tryon, Stonewall, Church and College are definitely the focus. Also, CTC, GO AWAY

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

They have a new website and it shows some new renderings of the lighting I don't think I have seen anywhere. Check it out. Also the link the retail leasing says it is all leased but is that for the existing Overstreet Mall section (Walgreens, Chick-fil-a etc) or is that for the new retail spaces at the base of the office tower?  http://www.boa-plaza.com/

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

They have a new website and it shows some new renderings of the lighting I don't think I have seen anywhere. Check it out. Also the link the retail leasing says it is all leased but is that for the existing Overstreet Mall section (Walgreens, Chick-fil-a etc) or is that for the new retail spaces at the base of the office tower?  http://www.boa-plaza.com/

That refers to the overstreet mall part. However there is a ton of interest in the new spaces. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are renderings for the Omni Renovation. Definitely way more approachable. Though doesn't look like much difference as far as retail goes. Blank Wall is definiltely almost gone :-) 

Screen_Shot_2016-08-22_at_10.47.28_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-08-22_at_10.47.32_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2016-08-22_at_10.47.36_AM.png

"Situated in the heart of Charlotte’s Financial District, located on the corner of Trade & Tryon adjacent to the Epicenter and part of Bank of America Plaza, The Omni Charlotte is positioned in downtown’s premiere location. C+TC created a more iconic and inviting street presence more suited to its locale and to better welcome guests in to the 374-room hotel. The design is informed by some of the angular aspects of the existing plaza buildings, with a focus on varying use of materiality and reflectivity to generate hierarchy of design within the facade, and introducing use of natural materials to create warmth and a better relationship to the interior design. Combining a full renovation of the existing pool deck with a 4500 square foot pool deck expansion and pool bar, along with an addition of large format high-definition digital screens, we are creating the city’s outdoor living room with great visibility from the surrounding high-rises and mixed-use developments. The pool deck expansion also providing another outlet for event space in the hotel, and an additional revenue stream. The significant reconceptualization of the entry experience and the pool deck, to accompany the renovation and revitalization of the Hotel Lobby, Lobby bar, and Guestrooms and Suites, helps to reposition the hotel to the premiere lodging destination among its nearby competitors in the market."

For the street level it is definitely an aesthetic improvement but functionally nothing really changes. The Trade St facade looks to be vastly improved from what is currently there...however I suspect not much at all will change on the College St side. I really wish that retail rendering from a couple years back could have happened. That would have been 10 times better than this proposal. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived