Bank of America Plaza Renovation

CLTProductions

That's not bad at all. I think the final materials would have to get approval from the city, so it could be softened up a little - but overall I like it.

While there's a good chance this will be high end or chain retail - at this point ANY retail activity on the street is good and should result in more foot traffic on Tryon, and thus more retail conversions in the future. I don't know if BofA Plaza and BofA Corporate are both owned by BofA - but if so, I hope the success of this corner will encourage them to do something with the lobby of the other tower.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Examining it further, the front side facing Tryon actually does look nice. The renderings don't show the Tryon side too well.

I thought the same thing. They don't have a straight on view which makes the Tryon side look like smokers alley and the The Square facing side look like Tryon

19 minutes ago, Spartan said:

That's not bad at all. I think the final materials would have to get approval from the city, so it could be softened up a little - but overall I like it.

While there's a good chance this will be high end or chain retail - at this point ANY retail activity on the street is good and should result in more foot traffic on Tryon, and thus more retail conversions in the future. I don't know if BofA Plaza and BofA Corporate are both owned by BofA - but if so, I hope the success of this corner will encourage them to do something with the lobby of the other tower.

Agree, any retail activity on this stretch will be a big improvement and the portion along Tryon looks good. The square-facing portion is so-so IMO with the columns. 

As an FYI, BofA Plaza is owned by TIER REIT. BofA is a major tenant in the building, leasing Floors 3-23. Corporate Center is owned by BofA and I wouldn't hold out hope they plan on adding street-facing retail along Tryon. It isn't their core business and they would probably prefer the lobby to be grand as the corporate HQ.

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

As an FYI, BofA Plaza is owned by TIER REIT. BofA is a major tenant in the building, leasing Floors 3-23. Corporate Center is owned by BofA and I wouldn't hold out hope they plan on adding street-facing retail along Tryon. It isn't their core business and they would probably prefer the lobby to be grand as the corporate HQ.

Plus, they basically already led this trend with turning Founders Hall around to have street-facing retail.  They already clearly made their compromises that Founders Hall is the retail and the tower base is the grand lobby. 

iframe>I don't mind the design.  It beats the heck out of a barrier of shrubbery along a mirrored glass wall. I hope the lighting stays permanently blue instead of being more cheesy color changing LED's.

On a side note, checking out this angle on Google Street View reminds me of how fun people watching can be in Uptown.

Ok. 4 Spots + Essex. It would be odd for there to be 5 high end food joints all right there, so there is really good hope at least one will be retail. I just wonder what type of retailer would go here.

On another off topic note, Wonder how much interest the two retail spaces at Independence Center are getting?

31 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Ok. 4 Spots + Essex. It would be odd for there to be 5 high end food joints all right there, so there is really good hope at least one will be retail. I just wonder what type of retailer would go here.

On another off topic note, Wonder how much interest the two retail spaces at Independence Center are getting?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starbucks in the connector lobby area between BofA Plaza and the Omni moved into one of the spaces. As an Uptown resident, I'd love to see an ABC store (or a nice wine/bottle shop open past 7). Or how about a 24-hour 7-Eleven or fast food restaurant? The only problem with all those options is that they all would probably attract even more homeless people to that section of Tryon which is already overrun with them most nights. Maybe a service-oriented business like Massage Envy? Unfortunately I think the rent is going to be prohibitively expensive for non-chain businesses other than upscale restaurants, but I also hope we at least get some diversity.

Mattress Firm doesnt have another location within at least a few blocks of here, so they'd probably be a contender for a potential non-restaurant user. Sadly, that's probably true, but I think if CAC doesn't have an exclusive on fitness, there's the possibility of one of the trendy specialty fitness concepts like corepower yoga or flywheel, although the parking may be a deal killer for them. If we are stuck with restaurants, I hope one of them is at least a Shake Shack. 

Pretttttty sure that any national soft goods or merchant retailers that are looking at Charlotte already have a place in mind, so I'd be surprised to see them at Trade and Tryon. 

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

3 hours ago, jednc said:

Then why mention it at all?

To put to rest the hopes of Banana Republic at the square. Lot of chatter about retailers, holding out for a big project on the horizon. South Tryon, and Stonewall are the future. It's going to start to show its muscle and in 5 years time the perceived gap between southend and uptown will be a thing that people reminisce about.

On 1/27/2016 at 10:55 PM, cltcane said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Starbucks in the connector lobby area between BofA Plaza and the Omni moved into one of the spaces. As an Uptown resident, I'd love to see an ABC store (or a nice wine/bottle shop open past 7). Or how about a 24-hour 7-Eleven or fast food restaurant? The only problem with all those options is that they all would probably attract even more homeless people to that section of Tryon which is already overrun with them most nights. Maybe a service-oriented business like Massage Envy? Unfortunately I think the rent is going to be prohibitively expensive for non-chain businesses other than upscale restaurants, but I also hope we at least get some diversity.

1) You aren't s true city unless you have a Starbucks diagonally across from another Starbucks. So, I'll take one of those please.

2) They tried to open an ABC store on Trade St a few years back but it was shot down because the old people in Fourth Ward were scared of the possibility of more homeless people hanging around. IMO, a liquor store won't change anything too much and the pros of having one in uptown outweigh any cons because it's part of the live/work/play quality of life equation. If we were in South Carolina, or most any other state we would have multiple liquor stores uptown, but because of the ridiculously antiquated controls of the ABC system in this state we don't/can't.

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

To put to rest the hopes of Banana Republic at the square. Lot of chatter about retailers, holding out for a big project on the horizon. South Tryon, and Stonewall are the future. It's going to start to show its muscle and in 5 years time the perceived gap between southend and uptown will be a thing that people reminisce about.

So should we give up on Brevard St or do you think it will eventually spill around the corner to there too?

I get that Stonewall has a lot of available space... but the convention center and the back side of the HOF really create a big gap in the potential retailification of Stonewell...

7 minutes ago, Spartan said:

So should we give up on Brevard St or do you think it will eventually spill around the corner to there too?

I get that Stonewall has a lot of available space... but the convention center and the back side of the HOF really create a big gap in the potential retailification of Stonewell...

Brevard never had the chance of becoming a retail corridor. The city created the Brevard Street plan and then killed it by building the HOF essentially blocking it off.

The rail trail has a better chance of having more retail than Brevard. 

On 1/28/2016 at 0:19 PM, dcharlotte said:

Brevard never had the chance of becoming a retail corridor. The city created the Brevard Street plan and then killed it by building the HOF essentially blocking it off.

The rail trail has a better chance of having more retail than Brevard. 

Exactly, and there was not even a seed to begin the process.   The convention center was already a dead wall.  The railroad land was and likely still is a very long term blocker.  The transit center is a not a good demographic for retail markets.  

Tryon is where the retail was once, and where it could be again and always has some baseline of wealth and pedestrian traffic.  It already has the wide sidewalk infrastructure to be a  (smaller city version of) 5th Avenue.  

Retrofitting retail back in to these buildings or carving out retail from what was oversized lobbies in the 80s/90s is the way forward. 

Archived