Interested in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Rock2uf

Hey all,

Anyone with pics of Hot Springs, Arkansas, please post 'em. I haven't been there in about eight years. From what I remember, it was beautiful. Also, general comments about Hot Springs will be appreciated. Is it a decent place to raise a family?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lake_hamilton_l.jpgI grew up in Little Rock and my family had a condo in Hot Springs where we went in the summers.

It's a gorgeous, historical place with terrific amenities for a city of its small size. Excellent restaurants, decent shopping, art galleries, an amusement park and water park, 8000 seat arena, good horse-racing track, and lakes for boating, swimming, and fishing. They have some nice botanical gardens and a decent science museum. Little Rock is one hour away and has a decent airport and msot things you can't get in Hot Springs.

Hot Springs Lakeside and Lake Hamilton school districts are very good, Hot Springs school district proper is not though nearly all nice areas are in the former two districts. It's a nice place to grow up and I would move there if the right opportunity came along. Real estate prices there, as in most of Arkansas, are terribly affordable compared to most places. Hot Springs offers rare opportunities if you're interested in historic buildings.

hotsprings_001_l.jpg

hs_rebtw.jpg

hotsprings_048_m.jpg

sa_main_photo.jpg

hs_wallpaper_800_lakeham.jpg

hotsprings_030_l.jpg

hotsprings_021_l.jpg

lakeouachita_037_l.jpg

Thanks for the info. Excellent pics, also. That place is gorgeous. I remember as a kid going to a lookout observatory on top of a hill/mountain. Are you familiar with this site? It seems like it was almost in town. Oh, sweet! I see it in the pictures. Man, as a kid, I thought that was awesome.

Do you have more pics of downtown?

There's only one bath house operating at this time. But I visiting Hot Springs a few months ago and apparently the government is restoring the other bath houses. I didn't see any details on what exactly they were going to do with them though. I would guess lease out the space, but that wouldn't mean they would reopen at bath houses though. I had visited several times in the 80's and the downtown/bath house row area was pretty run down. But it was nice to see the area looking very nice on my last visit. It does have interesting architecture. People from all over the nation came to Hot Springs back in the 20's, presidents and the rich and famous. Even baseball teams were going there before they started going to Florida and Arizona. Al Capone and gangsters also came and helped establish underground gambling. When the governor and the Arkansas Natl Guard finally got rid of the underground gmabling in the 60's they reappeared in some place called Las Vegas. Nowadays Hot Springs still has a unique feel to it. I had always wondered why it had attracted a number of Italians. But the hills, the climate and the fountains does make you feel it does have a slight Italian feel to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I kept out of this discussion pretty long. Especially considering I'm from the place.

Anyhoo, various pictures, courtesty of the Arkansas Department of Tourism (sorry if repeats):

crystalfalls_004_l.jpg

hotsprings_001_l.jpg

hotsprings_030_l.jpg

ho...ntion_001_l.jpg

ho...ntion_003_l.jpg

ho...arden_001_l.jpg

ho...lpark_003_l.jpg

hotsprings_trolley_001_l.jpglakecatherine_018_l.jpgoaklawn_003_l.jpgtrloflights_hotsprings_002_l.jpgcrystalsprings_001_l.jpgmagicsprings_003_l.jpghotsprings_045_l.jpghotsprings_garvangarden_008_l.jpghotsprings_garvangarden_009_l.jpglakehamilton_004_l.jpghotsprings_048_l.jpgoaklawn_012_l.jpglake_hamilton_l.jpghotsprings_arlington_004_l.jpghotsprings_arlington_008_l.jpghotsprings_050_l.jpghotsprings_051_l.jpghotsprings_cc_001_l.jpghotsprings_natlpark_006_l.jpg

Hot Springs is a nice place. It is a pretty good place to raise a family, depending on where you go. I'm in high school still, and I'm very opinionated about the different schools. The schools around here are definitlely good for Arkansas standards, and decent for national standards. I'm still in high school, so I have my issues with some of the individual schools, like the lack of technology courses. The Arkansas School for Math, Science, and Art is here too, which I presently attend. If you have a son or daughter heading into the 11th or 12th grade, this is the place you would want to send them. It's a residential public school for academically gifted students, and students are accepted based on their application. It was ranked one of the top twenty schools in the nation based on ACT/SAT scores, and there are a host of programs and classes for students to compete with the best around the nation (how's that for a plug?). My parents prefer Hot Springs to New Orleans, our previous home. I think it's a little small for my liking, but I too like it more than LA in general because of the natural scenery and it just feels cleaner.

Since I know we have someone from Hot Springs around. What's the city population and metro population of Hot Springs? Just trying to get an idea of how it compares to other Arkansas cities. I know Jonesboro has passed up Pine Bluff. I think it's also passed it up in metro also, just curious where Hot Springs stands.

It was a long time ago but do they still have that aquarium on Hot Springs? I remember seeing a mention of it while I was there in town and surprised I hadn't heard anything about it before. The other tipoff I guess should have been the price. It was pretty cheap. It certainly wasn't anything like what you see in a lot of the big cities. After being a little disappointed after getting inside it wasn't too bad. It's more than any other city in Arkansas has got as far as I know.

There's still a tiny little aquarium in an ofshoot of the Arlington Hotel and Spa in downtown Hot Springs.

Now, if my memory serves me correctly, Hot Springs has not been growing for quite a while (I think it's remained in the mid-30,000s for a while) as it is a slightly different city than others. While it is not quite a normal city, it is also not completely a tourist town. These factors, I believe, combine to form a city with a stable population.

Now, I'd also like to tell you all a little story about ASMSA. Never in the history of mankind has there been anything better than the Arkansas School for Mathematics, Sciences, and the Arts! The collective wonder of everything in the Universe is merely a molecule in the Ocean of greatness that is ASMSA! Okay, maybe that was a little too emphatic. But seriously, it's a really good school.

Also, I went to school with young johnnydr87 at ASMSA. He was the great individual that directed me to this website. Round of applause, everyone!

And let me add, Khashbaatar Tsagaanbaatar (or "Chase" as we like to say---crazy middle eastern folk!) was possibly one of the nicest ladies I've ever met in my entire life---no joke! The spirit of the savior truly eminated from her southern ladylike aura of daintyness!

I kid....

I've noticed on maps that there's been a section of 270 (I think) being built on the east side of the city. I know that maps aren't always very up to date. How is that project coming along? Looks like Hot Springs is getting close to having an expressway circling the city.

• 2 weeks later...

This might fit in another topic but it also does nicely here and helps bring back this topic. Especially since we do have one rather active person in this area. I've never heard much about very much hispanic growth in Hot Springs. Although being in western Arkansas would make it more probable. When I visited Hot Springs earlier this year I do seem to recall hearing some Spanish spoken. But I also believe I heard something else and I have heard there there is a small group of Italians that have also migrated into the area. Could anyone fill us in on of any of the immigration trends going on in Hot Springs? Is there really much of an Italian community developing? Is the are seeing very much growth in hispanics as compared to some other areas of the state?

There has been a huge Hispanic influx here over the past few years. I've definitely noticed it. Hispanic stores are popping up everywhere. However, I'm not sure if it any more than any other place in the state. I'm guessing it's just part of the normal trend.

I have no idea about the Italian population.

The Asian population is a lot larger now...and growing very fast. Hot Springs almost looks like a completely different place ethnically than it did 10 years ago. It used to be a rare occasion to see another asian....but it seems whenever I head out to a major market like the mall, I always see a few.

There has been a huge Hispanic influx here over the past few years.  I've definitely noticed it.  Hispanic stores are popping up everywhere.  However, I'm not sure if it any more than any other place in the state.  I'm guessing it's just part of the normal trend. 

I have no idea about the Italian population.

The Asian population is a lot larger now...and growing very fast.  Hot Springs almost looks like a completely different place ethnically than it did 10 years ago.  It used to be a rare occasion to see another asian....but it seems whenever I head out to a major market like the mall, I always see a few.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why do you think there is such a sudden trend in ethnic diversity? Do you think it has a lot to do with it being a tourist city? I take it there must not be that much of an Italian community there. I believe I've heard there was also a small group of Italian artists that had also migrated there. I'm pretty sure I've even seen one of the artist's work up here before. I believe his name was Bellini.

Being a tourist city probably helps. Maybe people traveling here find out they like it...and move here. Maybe because we're a tourist city we automatically have more ethnic restaurants, stores, etc.....so it attracts even more ethnicities....

I wouldn't be surprised about the Italians...hot springs is a very artsy town.

I think an Amish community moved somewhere in the county too...

Being a tourist city probably helps.  Maybe people traveling here find out they like it...and move here.  Maybe because we're a tourist city we automatically have more ethnic restaurants, stores, etc.....so it attracts even more ethnicities....

I wouldn't be surprised about the Italians...hot springs is a very artsy town.

I think an Amish community moved somewhere in the county too...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hadn't heard anything about the Amish being there, that seems a little odd. Until I visited again recently I never really thought much about any Italians in Hot Springs. But I must admit if you look around bathhouse row it almost has a bit of an 'Italian' feel to it. Maybe it's due a little to the architecture and also because of the fountains. Supposedly the reason why some of the Italian artists had moved there because it reminded them of Italy.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum. I just bought one lot of land in Hot Springs. The location is very near to The School of Math and Science in Hot Springs. In fact, it is at the the corner of Ozark Street and Gold Street, and bordered to the National Park. I live in California and I haven't had a chance to visit it yet. Does anyone live in that area? Do you have some picture of that location? I try to look on the internet, but most of the picture doesn't cover that area since it is hidden in the West Mountain.

Please post some pic if you have, Thanks

Hi all,

I am new to this forum.  I just bought one lot of land in Hot Springs.  The location is very near to The School of Math and Science in Hot Springs.  In fact, it is at the the corner of Ozark Street and Gold Street, and bordered to the National Park.  I live in California and I haven't had a chance to visit it yet.  Does anyone live in that area? Do you have some picture of that location? I try to look on the internet, but most of the picture doesn't cover that area since it is hidden in the West Mountain.

Please post some pic if you have, Thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't live in Hot Springs but johnnydr87 is from Hot Springs. Luckily he shows up pretty often. He should have some sort of response for you soon. Welcome to the board by the way. If you don't mind me asking what brings you to Arkansas? We have quite a few Californians living in Fayetteville where I live.

Archived