Interested in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Rock2uf

Arkansas has a lot to offer. I like Hot Springs the best because the setting of the city is quite unique. The city is embraced by Mountains and reserved its natural state by the Federal National Park. Not to mention that the unique feature of the natural hot spring water. In addition, Hot Springs has things for everyone: hiking, boating, swimming .... Hot Springs has the best of both world urbanization but still have country setting. Education is not bad at all in Arkansas. And much more !!!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not, I go to the Arkansas School for Math, Science, and Art! I'm moving in again for my senior year August 4th.

In fact, I'm kind of suspicious who this is, because I know a few Nguyens. They're Vietnamese, and attend ASMSA with me :P . Haha, could you just be pulling my leg?

So, I decided to do a quick lookup of where you live to get a better idea:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ozark+Street...46803&t=k&hl=en

That's quite a spot! You are wedged inside the valley with good ole' ASMSA.

Are you serious about not having even visited the place yet? That is quite risky.

Ok Ok. About Hot Springs. (Unfortunately, I'm in Memphis right now with my sister, so I can't head over there and snap a few shots.)

I guess I will tell you my experience with the area, since I lived (the Math, Science, and Art school is residential) there for the better part of a school year. First off, the scenery is amazing in the valley. Honestly, you probably won't get to see the scenic vistas without doing a bit of hiking up the mountains. And with your proximity, it will basically be your back yard. When I first saw the view from the 5th floor of the school, I was pretty amazed. Granted, the Ouachitas are not as big on the eastern edge of the Ouachitas (which is where Hot Springs is). But they are still awsome. The green of the trees and plants are overwhelming, and you can see 3-5 quaint churches in the valley. In the autumn and winter months, they are sometimes wrapped in low clouds which make it more spectacular. This is one of the things I like more about Arkansas than California (I have family in San Diego and Orange County): the wetter climate and the green it produces.

The neighborhood you live in is historic, but possibly run down in some areas. It's a mixed population, maybe around 40% black and 60% white. I haven't seen any Asians. (I was assuming for a moment you're Vietnamese.) You're near whittington park, which is a nice place to walk with the family amongst the valley and big Magnolia trees. I already mentioned you're near hiking paths. ASMSA students use it fairly often to go jogging. (You probably know most of the information since you've probably been sightseeing in Hot Springs.)

Your location is very near downtown. That's definitely a plus, because there are so many interesting things downtown. For ASMSA, downtown is literally across the street. For you, it may be a block or two before what I consider "downtown." Very unique and interesting and definitely one of my favorite aspects of living at ASMSA. The mountains overlook downtown, and the streets have lots of little stores and events at the convention center. There are rock shows at Maxines every now and then. Mostly alternative rock, emo, screamo type stuff. There are all kinds of events at Arlington park or the convention center. You should check out some of the other threads like the one about festivals. The Hot Springs Music Festival and Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival are my favorites. The music festival gathers some of the best musicians from around the world to play classical music. The documentary film festival features many documentaries and is popular because often the directors will come to the shows. In fact, I think they are one of the preliminary judges for the Cannes film festival (or some other indie festival) this coming year.

I could go on and on, but I have some questions...

Are you Vietnamese?

Do you have a family (because then I can answer questions about the local schools)?

You have visited Hot Springs before, right?

Do you have some family here already? I know a Huynh, but not a Nguyen living in Hot Springs. (Both are pronounced the same way, for the clueless: "Hwin.")

What brings you here? Or was it just a compulsive move?

If you have any questions for me about anything Hot Springs, feel free to ask.

Yeah I have family near Albuquerque, they don't make it over to Arkansas very often. They visited just a few weeks ago and remarked how 'green' it was. I will mention one thing, if you haven't ever been to Arkansas one thing you should know is that unlike the summer heat out west the humid summers here are a totally different thing. It's probably worst in July and August. Just make sure you don't push yourself too hard. But you will eventually get used to it. There are several lakes around Hot Springs. You also have the Ouachita Mtns, they don't get as much recognition as the Ozarks but they're pretty nice. Little Rock isn't too far away either, if you're looking for a few amenities that a city the size of Hot Springs doesn't have. But Hot Springs does actually offer quite a bit despite not being a very big. If you have any more questions about Hot Springs or Arkansas feel free to ask.

Thanks both of you for providing helpful information of Hot Springs. Yes, Johnnydr87, I am a Vietnamese. I have never been in Arkansas yet. I get much information on the internet. Most of my family member are in or graduated from college in CA. If you have a chance when you get back to Hot Springs, let me know I will email you the detail information of the lot. Could you please do an inspection of the lot for me since I am too far away.

Thanks

I'll be heading back this afternoon. Around 8 PM I'll be back in Hot Springs.

Sunday I'm flying to Philadelphia for a summer research program.

So, I *might* be able to check out the lot tomorrow.

The Asian population in Hot Springs is pretty small right now, but growing fast. I'm half Asian myself (filipino). The last Asian food store that I knew of closed down due to lack of business, but who knows, there might still be one somewhere (hardly anyone knew about the last one). The nearest Asian food store is Little Rock, if that matters. Of course there are Asian restaurants scattered around the city.

I'll be heading back this afternoon.  Around 8 PM I'll be back in Hot Springs. 

Sunday I'm flying to Philadelphia for a summer research program. 

So, I *might* be able to check out the lot tomorrow.

The Asian population in Hot Springs is pretty small right now, but growing fast.  I'm half Asian myself (filipino).  The last Asian food store that I knew of closed down due to lack of business, but who knows, there might still be one somewhere (hardly anyone knew about the last one).  The nearest Asian food store is Little Rock, if that matters.  Of course there are Asian restaurants scattered around the city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just out of curiousity how long will you be in Philadephia?

Well Johnny just in case I don't get a chance to see you around later. Enjoy your time in Philadelphia. Hopefully there will be at least a little for you to read when you get back. Or maybe I should say hopefully there will be more than just my posts for you to read when I get back. Maybe I can guilt our moderator into making a few post. You know ol Spartan actually puts up a few posts as moderator in the Oklahoma board. Well Johnny if I'm banned when you get back then you'll know my guilt trip didn't work. :D

Yeah right.  :rolleyes:

Why do I get the feeling I'll be talking to myself?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hopefully some other Arkansas forumers will pick up the slack and give you dialogue on the boards. I think this board is actually doing quite well as far as interest and forumers go. A lot of those forumers are just reading at the moment, but I think that will change as time goes on and people get accustomed to the dialogue and format of these boards, esp. if this is completely new to them.

Hopefully some other Arkansas forumers will pick up the slack and give you dialogue on the boards. I think this board is actually doing quite well as far as interest and forumers go. A lot of those forumers are just reading at the moment, but I think that will change as time goes on and people get accustomed to the dialogue and format of these boards, esp. if this is completely new to them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I can't complain too much, as new as this forum is it is doing pretty well. Here lately it seems to be mainly Johnny and me. Although we have had some people putting up info on Jonesboro and such. Some of you west Tennessee guys have helped on that one. I also realize I mainly post about northwest Arkansas and I seem to be the obly one from here. So a lot of what I post doesn't mean a lot to everyone else because they're not familiar with northwest Arkansas that well. But anyway things will continue and Johnny will be back eventually.

Speak of the devil, Arkansas_Buff just showed up. :D

Departing tomorrow at 7:20 AM. Should be fun.

We'll have internet access, so maybe I'll check in every now and then :-p .

I went to downtown Hot Springs near kingNguyen's future home... But not exactly there.... got photos...but too short on time to resize everything.

Anyhoo, I might tell you an address to go to see the photos later tonight.

If not, Adios!

Departing tomorrow at 7:20 AM.  Should be fun. 

I went to downtown Hot Springs near kingNguyen's future home...  But not exactly there.... got photos...but too short on time to resize everything.

If not, Adios!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes have fun, if you do get a chance you'll have to let us know about things up there. Do they really not have world dominating companies like we do here? Do they even wear shoes? Oh those poor yankees. :D

Departing tomorrow at 7:20 AM.  Should be fun. 

I went to downtown Hot Springs near kingNguyen's future home...  But not exactly there.... got photos...but too short on time to resize everything.

If not, Adios!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks so much Johnny for your effort. I can't wait to see the photos. I hope you enjoy the trip !!!

Here in Philadelphia. They have a nice skyline. I get the view from my dorm. You can tell that the place is steeped in history with all the old buildings and old fancy stone/concrete bridges.

You can also tell that it's a bit dilapidated and past its heydey. There's lots of graffiti, run-down neighborhoods, old factory centers miles and miles in area pumping smoke out, passenger trains, etc.

It's really funny and interesting meeting with people because I'm from Arkansas. Everyone's so surprised, and often ask the differences between Philly and my home state. I then sometimes brag about Hot Springs, Little Rock, and northwest Arkansas. I also joke around with the stereotypes of our state and the Northeast. Pretty cool time so far, and I get internet access here in the Engineering computer lab.

Take care...

Here in Philadelphia.  They have a nice skyline.  I get the view from my dorm.  You can tell that the place is steeped in history with all the old buildings and old fancy stone/concrete bridges. 

You can also tell that it's a bit dilapidated and past its heydey.  There's lots of graffiti, run-down neighborhoods, old factory centers miles and miles in area pumping smoke out, passenger trains, etc.

It's really funny and interesting meeting with people because I'm from Arkansas.  Everyone's so surprised, and often ask the differences between Philly and my home state.  I then sometimes brag about Hot Springs, Little Rock, and northwest Arkansas.  I also joke around with the stereotypes of our state and the Northeast.  Pretty cool time so far, and I get internet access here in the Engineering computer lab. 

Take care...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad you can keep give us some info on the area from and Arkansas perspective. I'm sure it will be an interesting trip just to see the differences and like you said a place that's got some history to it. Although it's not too urban, I've been to Santa Fe and I was surprised. I never knew some of those areas were so old. Santa Fe was established around 1609-1611 and they actually have buildings dating back that far. There's very few instances in the US to see buildings not just from the 1600's but early 1600's. But anyway if you think you might get to post on a somewhat regular basis and want to tell us about the area maybe you could make a special topic comparing Philadelphia to Arkansas.

maybe you could make a special topic comparing Philadelphia to Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good idea. I'll definitely look into it later this month, after I've experienced the Phillies baseball, Philly Cheese Steaks, downtown tours, the Orchestra, and all this other good stuff.

Good idea. I'll definitely look into it later this month, after I've experienced the Phillies baseball, Philly Cheese Steaks, downtown tours, the Orchestra, and all this other good stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe you'll see some good examples of urban development that you think might do well also in Little Rock.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some really bad photos of downtown Hot Springs a few weeks ago that I bothered to take. The first photos are from the car, which was dirty at the time (bug splats galore). I just linked them all, even the really crappy ones, to save time :-P

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

IMG_3136.JPG

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3140.JPG

IMG_3141.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

IMG_3146.JPG