Interested in Hot Springs, Arkansas

Rock2uf

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very nice pics of Hot Springs. Looks like it has alot of nice old architecture and a few old taller structures. First pics I've ever seen of Hot Springs.

Anybody heard of Hot Springs Village. I keep seeing "Ponch" from "ChiPs" trying to sell the area on TV. I figure it must be fishy. LOL

Just curious if anyone had any idea what that area was like.

Some very nice pics of Hot Springs. Looks like it has alot of nice old architecture and a few old taller structures. First pics I've ever seen of Hot Springs.

Anybody heard of Hot Springs Village. I keep seeing "Ponch" from "ChiPs" trying to sell the area on TV. I figure it must be fishy. LOL

Just curious if anyone had any idea what that area was like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I've seen it too. But there are many different areas they do too. That company apparently owns a lot of lots or houses in a number of different 'retirement' cities all over the southeast. I can't say I know much about Hot Springs Village. I always figured it was just mainly housing subdivisions and you'd have to go to Hot Springs itself to do anything.

Hot Springs Village is probably the biggest retirement community in Arkansas. Or a close second to Bella Vista. A large amount of Garland County's growth is actually from all the elderly people moving in to retire. It's situated on the mountains and is very pretty. They have a few shopping centers, but they travel a lot to Hot Springs or Little Rock to shop.

Hot Springs Village is probably the biggest retirement community in Arkansas.  Or a close second to Bella Vista.  A large amount of Garland County's growth is actually from all the elderly people moving in to retire.  It's situated on the mountains and is very pretty.  They have a  few shopping centers, but they travel a lot to Hot Springs or Little Rock to shop.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I always got the impression that Hot Springs Village and Bella Vista are the two biggest. But I'm not sure how big Hot Springs Village is. That and Bella Vista has taken on a different feel. It's not just a retirement community anymore. It's funny because when I first moved to northwest Arkansas Bella Vista was one of the nicest and more expensive places to live up here. But with all the growth now it's become one of the cheaper places to live. So you've had people who aren't retirees move in. There are things to do there but I do think many travel to some of the other northwest Arkansas cities to do stuff. I know you're in school now Johnny and won't have many chances to get on. But when you do have a chance any ideas how big Hot Springs Village is? Bella Vista is still unincorporated area. But there has been a lot of talk of offically of incorporating it. Estimates have it around 17,000, so its probably around 15,000 to 20,000 depending on how you look at it.

On another note I saw a very interesting show on AETN about Hot Springs. It had a lot of history about the city. Hey Johnny I saw a Wendy Richter on there, you wouldn't be related to her would you?

I forgot to mention this earlier, in that program I learned something I didn't know. Hot Springs lays claim to Arkansas' first skyscraper. Of course it isn't huge by today's standard but I thought they said it was around 17 stories and build back in the 30's.

From Wikipedia:

"Hot Springs Village is a census-designated place located in Garland and Saline counties in Arkansas. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 8,397."

No, I'm not related to Wendy Richter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Granted those are 2000 figures, but I guess I thought it would be a bit larger than that and closer to Bella Vista. But as I said before Bella Vista has the added benefit in being in such a fast growing area. That and as other areas have outgrew it and real estate has outpaced it now it is being looked at by many people as a place to go for cheaper houses and real estate.

From Wikipedia:

"Hot Springs Village is a census-designated place located in Garland and Saline counties in Arkansas. As of the 2000 census, the CDP had a total population of 8,397."

No, I'm not related to Wendy Richter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the pictures gave some idea of the area. It seems like a lot of nice architecture and easy-going pace. Sadly, no sandy beaches or the gulf nearby. The lakes look great!!

I posted a question in the general southern forum regarding places I think I would like to retire. No one knew too much about Hot Springs. Anyhow, here goes. Please give me pro's and con's. Thanks!

I have lived in the Dayton/Kettering, Ohio area all my life. :( It is so-so. I love art and would like to put some of my stuff in a show someday :whistling:

I would like a safe area (hey, anything's got to be better than Dayton, Ohio -- ok,, maybe not Detroit, Mich, but anyway..) I really like the beach, but if I can get away to nice parks (scenery, safe, green, ) and go to a lake and swim, jetski, etc. I'm all set.

Oh, cost of living would be a good consideration. The humidity in Kettering is not too bad most of the year, but I hate the mesquitoes in the summer (yeah, yeah use OFF) and there just isn't all that much to see/do without having to drive 20 miles .

Are there many coffee shops in Hot Springs? It seems like just my sort of town, plenty of nature to enjoy. Waterfalls. Art galleries. Crime is not so bad (especially if you look at Dayton, Ohio)

Places I'm considering for retirement in about 5-10 years are:

Jacksonville, FL

Chattanooga, TN

Hot Springs, AR -- any problems with snapping turtles/snakes while your swimming in the lakes and streams?

Gulf Shores, AL

Gainsesville, or Ocala, FL

Greenville, SC

Savannah, GA

Hickory, NC

Any help with input/advice would be appreciated.

Basically, what do you like about the city/cities. What don't you like?

Would you live there or go some place else?

OH yeah.. one more thing: are there many libraries in Hot Springs? Good ones??

Believe it or not, the libraries in Kettering are excellent and something that I had taken for granted until I started considering things that I like...

Thanks again! :D

the pictures gave some idea of the area.  It seems like a lot of nice architecture and easy-going pace.  Sadly, no sandy beaches or the gulf nearby.  The lakes look great!!

I posted a question in the general southern forum regarding places I think I would like to retire.  No one knew too much about Hot Springs.  Anyhow, here goes.  Please give me pro's and con's.  Thanks!

I have lived in the Dayton/Kettering, Ohio area all my life.  :(    It is so-so.  I love art and would like to put some of my stuff in a show someday  :whistling:

I would like a safe area (hey, anything's got to be better than Dayton, Ohio -- ok,, maybe not Detroit, Mich, but anyway..) I really like the beach, but if I can get away to nice parks (scenery, safe, green, ) and go to a lake and swim, jetski, etc. I'm all set.

Oh, cost of living would be a good consideration.  The humidity in Kettering is not too bad most of the year, but I hate the mesquitoes in the summer (yeah, yeah use OFF) and there just isn't all that much to see/do without having to drive 20 miles .

Are there many coffee shops in Hot Springs?  It seems like just my sort of town, plenty of nature to enjoy.  Waterfalls.  Art galleries. Crime is not so bad (especially if you look at Dayton, Ohio)

Places I'm considering for retirement in about 5-10 years are:

Jacksonville, FL

Chattanooga, TN

Hot Springs, AR -- any problems with snapping turtles/snakes while your swimming in the lakes and streams?

Gulf Shores, AL

Gainsesville, or Ocala, FL

Greenville, SC

Savannah, GA

Hickory, NC

Any help with input/advice would be appreciated.

Basically, what do you like about the city/cities.  What don't you like?

Would you live there or go some place else?

OH yeah.. one more thing:  are there many libraries in Hot Springs?  Good ones??

Believe it or not, the libraries in Kettering are excellent and something that I had taken for granted until I started considering things that I like...

Thanks again! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Might take a little while to get a response from Johnny. He's in school now and has rather limited internet access. He'd be the best person to ask since he's actually from there. Not to try to steer you away from Hot Springs. But some of your questions do make me think of northwest Arkansas. Nice selection of coffee shops. Although many people are disappointed there isn't much of a Starbuck's presence here. But we have some pretty nice local coffee shops. Fayetteville's library recently won top library in the nation by the Library Journal. We beat out Seattle, San Jose, Las Vegas and so on. Not as many lakes as there are around Hot Springs but Beaver Lake is a big draw to the east of Rogers. Like I said not trying to steer you away from Hot Springs, it's a nice choice. But I was just curious if you had considered the Ozarks or northwest Arkansas.

Might take a little while to get a response from Johnny.  He's in school now and has rather limited internet access.  He'd be the best person to ask since he's actually from there.  Not to try to steer you away from Hot Springs.  But some of your questions do make me think of northwest Arkansas.  Nice selection of coffee shops.  Although many people are disappointed there isn't much of a Starbuck's presence here.  But we have some pretty nice local coffee shops.  Fayetteville's library recently won top library in the nation by the Library Journal.  We beat out Seattle, San Jose, Las Vegas and so on.  Not as many lakes as there are around Hot Springs but Beaver Lake is a big draw to the east of Rogers.  Like I said not trying to steer you away from Hot Springs, it's a nice choice.  But I was just curious if you had considered the Ozarks or northwest Arkansas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have read a little about Fayetteville, but from what I have read, there is more to see/do in Hot Springs vs Fayetteville. Not that I'm looking to do something at all hours, but Hot Springs just seemed to have "more". Am I wrong?

I have read a little about Fayetteville, but from what I have read, there is more to see/do in Hot Springs vs Fayetteville.  Not that I'm looking to do something at all hours, but Hot Springs just seemed to have "more".  Am I wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it just matters in what you are looking for. Fayetteville is bigger than Hot Springs and the metro here in northwest Arkansas is growing very quickly. One of the biggest differences is probably the fact that Fayetteville is a college town. But there's quite a bit to do around this area also. Eureka Springs isn't too far away from the metro area up here and I have heard it descibed as a smaller version of Hot Springs, a rather big tourist spot.

• 2 months later...

Hey Johnny, did you hear that Hot Springs will host the 2010 convention of the international women's organization Associated Country Women of the World?

Hot Springs beat Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Louisville, Kentucky, to win the convention.

Over 1,000 women are expected to attend.

Hey Johnny, did you hear that Hot Springs will host the 2010 convention of the international women's organization Associated Country Women of the World?

Hot Springs beat Grand Rapids, Michigan, and Louisville, Kentucky, to win the convention.

Over 1,000 women are expected to attend.

That's news to me also. Any idea what this women's organization is?

I have read a little about Fayetteville, but from what I have read, there is more to see/do in Hot Springs vs Fayetteville. Not that I'm looking to do something at all hours, but Hot Springs just seemed to have "more". Am I wrong?

It all depends on what you want to do. For pure entertainment purposes if you're not into college sports, I think Hot Springs probably wins. The lakes and racetrack keep a nearly year round tourist crowd, winter aside.

It all depends on what you want to do. For pure entertainment purposes if you're not into college sports, I think Hot Springs probably wins. The lakes and racetrack keep a nearly year round tourist crowd, winter aside.

Oops a little late, I think Scoundrel has already moved and hasn't been on for a while now. But still interesting for other people to see. While I'm obviously biased to Fayetteville, I admit Hot Springs would easily be one of my favorites for places to live if I couldn't live here in Fayetteville. It's a great town and it has a lot of potential for more in the future.

The group is the largest organization of rural women and homemakers, with more than 376 country women's clubs and societies in 64 countries. It is headquartered in London, England.

Wow, that's interesting. It's great that Hot Springs was able to draw in a convention like that. But I do believe Hot Springs does a pretty good job for conventions and such. I would imagine the only thing holding them back is size. They wouldn't be able to hold a huge convention.

Wow, that's interesting. It's great that Hot Springs was able to draw in a convention like that. But I do believe Hot Springs does a pretty good job for conventions and such. I would imagine the only thing holding them back is size. They wouldn't be able to hold a huge convention.

I believe Hot Springs does have the largest convention center in the state, correct me if I'm wrong.

hscc.jpg

Archived