Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nashvylle

MLB in Nashville

7 posts in this topic

Over Christmas I drove around First Tennessee Park and really liked the developments around the ballpark, similar to a junior Wrigley.

I know that MLB teams do not "add-on" to a minor league park, but assuming we break the lease with The Sounds, tear down the stadium, do you think if utilized 4th (or 5th? not sure) Ave for ballpark space, there is enough room to build a major league stadium?

I feel like Nashville is several years away from this prospect being a possibility, but is the footprint, with all the apartment buildings, large enough?

Good question. I had always hoped First Tennessee Park would be built with a possible MLB expansion in mind. It looks really small from the outside though.

Hmmm....That's hard to say. I don't know the lot well enough to make an educated guess, but just off the cuff, I would say that it is probably not possible. I'm trying to visualize the major league parks I've been to and they all seem too large for the space. Maybe something very small like Wrigley would fit, but they don't really build them that way anymore. 

What you really should ask yourself is if you would even want one there. Consider the height of an MLB ballpark. They are tall, imposing structures. It would completely alter the look and feel of the Mall/G-town area. One of the beautiful features of the current Sounds park is that it is nearly hidden away in the middle of the area. An MLB park would tower over everything and cast huge shadows.

Besides, it would take a series of extremely unlikely events to happen in order to even worry about it  

edit; Perhaps someone more  skilled than I could give us a visual mock-up, just for shiggles. 

Edited by nashvillwill

The prospect of us getting an MLB team is far enough away where I think we'd be fine ditching the current stadium and building from scratch.

1 person likes this

The only way I see us getting an MLB within 20 years is if the Titans were to move. I just don't see enough support for three professional sports teams. I also don't see the MLB as being in expansion mode, so it would likely be a relocation team that would come.  

It's hard to project really far in advance, but I think the environment may be such that if an MLB team were to locate here 20 years from now the Sounds stadium could be used with some additions and MAJOR upgrades. Attendance for sports has been falling for years across all categories thanks to HDTV, big screens, and attendance costs.  I have a feeling that these 65-80,000 people NFL stadiums and 40-50,000 may feel fairly empty in 20 years.  The MLB stadiums in 20 years may very well seat 25,000, and that would be possible on the current site.  The bigger problem would be how updated the stadium will be.  Priorities in stadiums change over time, and the Sounds stadium may be so antiquated at that time that a new one has to be built.

Edited by Hey_Hey

Nashville has been mentioned a few times as possible spot for the Rays if they ever left Tampa. Seems more like leverage than anything. I can't see three pro franchises working here. Not to mention the lease with the Titans will have to be discussed in the next decade, right?