The Coffee House Thread About Actual Coffee Houses (in the CBD)

Coffee shops!

So, lately we have been looking for places that are "sit down with a laptop and work for a few hours" friendly and have felt that this is a little lacking in downtown during the day, and borderline non-existent after 5PM. Do any of my fellow UrbanPlanet members have a favorite spot to sit down and work? Here's the list I have compiled for downtown, vaguely ordered by distance from the CBD:

1. Starbucks @ Grand Bohemian -- nice place, limited seating and often no seats available. Not really an inviting place.
  2. Barney's @ Orange & Pine -- very small. No WiFi. They don't really want people hanging out and taking up their limited space. Closes very early.
  3. Canvs @ Church Street Exchange -- great work environment if you can afford a monthly membership. Very quiet. Not a coffee shop but an actual coworking space. It belongs on this list because I think it serves most of the needs I'm looking for.
  4. Starbucks on Summerlin in Thornton Park -- pretty much what we're looking for. Relaxed environment, plenty of seating, laptop friendly. Open in the evenings. Main issue is that it's quite a haul walking from the CBD if you're going to do it frequently. It could use a little more ... chill space?
  5. Drunken Monkey -- Haven't checked this out personally but it sounds like a good choice. Coming from the CBD, this is a drive or taking the 13 bus which is about a 20 minute ride ... not bad. But this part of town doesn't feel very ... pedestrian friendly or actually walkable.

What else is worth checking out? I'm determined to find all these places!

A little farther out, but the CREDO at Florida Hospital is nice and has some space upstairs to sit and work. Usually pretty quiet.  Propagation on Mills is nice too - I think I had to connect to a Bright House wifi signal in the neighborhood, but they have never had an issue with me sitting there and working. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smileguy said:

A little farther out, but the CREDO at Florida Hospital is nice and has some space upstairs to sit and work. Usually pretty quiet.  Propagation on Mills is nice too - I think I had to connect to a Bright House wifi signal in the neighborhood, but they have never had an issue with me sitting there and working. 

We've tried Credo at FH. It's an awesome location because of SunRail access from downtown and a good amount of seating.

The only thing I'll say about that space is that it feels incredibly sterile. Metal and concrete everywhere and giant glass exterior walls. When we were in there it was very quiet (a lack of white noise or general bustle), and the metal chairs on the loft area make enormous noise any time you move them. Imagine the sound of aluminum sliding along concrete and put that inside an echo chamber. It wasn't dead in there, either; it was just quiet. I really felt like a jerk making all that noise anytime I had to adjust my chair or go to the counter to buy something.

Anyway, great recommendations. I hadn't heard about propagation before. 

9 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

East End Market in Audobon Park is also a great space for lounging.

We have been meaning to check out the East End Market. Maybe this is the excuse we needed ... 

Edited by castorvx

• 2 weeks later...

When I take SunRail I basically catch an earlier train so that I get 30 minutes to spend at Credo FH.  I don't tap off/on at the Florida Hospital station so it's the same cost as one trip into town.

Another spot, actually in the CBD, is Java Lava on Robinson between Magnolia and Orange.

Since you mentioned transit options a I'd suggest LYMMO to Coffee Culture (get off on Marks just around corner) and to Starbucks in Thornton Park (get off at Central and Summerlin).   For that matter you can take it to Magnolia and Robinson for Java Lava.

Id probably opt to use Juice bike share to get to Drunken Monkey.

image.png

Edited by Jernigan
  • Like 3

When I take SunRail I basically catch an earlier train so that I get 30 minutes to spend at Credo FH.  I don't tap off/on at the Florida Hospital station so it's the same cost as one trip into town.

Another spot, actually in the CBD, is Java Lava on Robinson between Magnolia and Orange.

I love Java Lava! Great food and really nice people. Ironically enough, I've never had their Java.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen a lot of people working on their laptops at the Panera Bread at Orange & Michigan. Mostly on the little outdoor tables along the side, but that seems like it wouldn't be very comfortable in the summertime, not to mention people squeezing past on their way to other stores. I think I've seen people using their computers inside the place too, which would obviously be nicer, but I don't know how long they'll let you stay in there.

Then there's the Starbucks a little farther up Orange Ave, and what about Sodo....?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
6 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Where is this location? I don't remember a Hagen Daas downtown.

I did not know about there ever being a Hagen Daas either. But the location is the BankUnited, that suburban-style bank building smack in the heart of Downtown, on the corner of Central and Court.

I'm going to get a bit off topic here, but BankUnited is such a wasted use of a prime location, I wish to see this building torn down and a more appropriately urban building take its place. For its location near the Orange County Regional History Center and the library, this site my opinion would have been the perfect site for some sort of cultural institution, perhaps a new home for the museum of art, but it's too small unless they are willing to build a 5 story building or something.

• Like 1