markhollin

Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

123 posts in this topic

News on approvals coming along with government leaders for the $162 million, 130,000 sq. ft. Tennessee State Museum to be relocated from TPAC Building to SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St. (which is the NW corner of the Bicentennial Mall).  Proposed initial rendering included:

From Knoxville News Sentinel:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/politics/conceptual-design-for-new-state-museum-unveiled-ashe-continues-spat-with-director-29157ca6-998a-6b1a-364925371.html

From Nashville Post:
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2016/1/12/state_releases_new_image_for_proposed_state_museum

Tennessee State Museum, Jan. 2016.JPG

1 person likes this

Here is a view of the site looking southeast from Rosa Parks Blvd just north of Jefferson St. interchange:

Tenn. State Museum site, Rosa Parks & Jefferson, Dec.jpg

1 person likes this

This is probably my favorite proposal for the city right now. The State Museum has some very good collections, and they're in a horrendous location at the moment. Getting them in to a proper museum in a focal location like that will be a huge boost.

3 people like this

36 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

This is probably my favorite proposal for the city right now. The State Museum has some very good collections, and they're in a horrendous location at the moment. Getting them in to a proper museum in a focal location like that will be a huge boost.

And it'll be a great compliment to the payday lender on the opposite corner. :rolleyes:

3 people like this

Has the site for this moved?     It was to go at the corner of 6th and Jefferson, in the empty lot fronting 6th.    Or so I thought.   

This is my best guess as to the massing in this area. It will be very impressive having these two stately buildings lining the park.

CAP%20MALL_zps7g3ftbdx.jpg

And I'm quite alright with the post modern look to the Museum.

This would be a good site for the proposed proposed Suffragettes monument if use of the downtown plaza site is forbidden.

Suffragette_zpsfnsy4xol.jpg

3 people like this

^ ^ ^ In the new rendering with the curved front entrance, it appears that it is glassed-in behind the pillars and that there is some sort of courtyard behind.  I'm thinking the design is going to be more of a block (with one curved corner) and an open area within.  That will be very cool.  

Also, it is hard to tell the orientation of the rendering.  Perhaps this is facing outward toward the Rosa Parks/Jefferson corner, and there might be a more pillars/facade to compliment the State Library on the 7th Avenue side.  

Am also curious if there will be several levels of parking underneath.  Same goes for the State Library/Archives structure.

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ In the new rendering with the curved front entrance, it appears that it is glassed-in behind the pillars and that there is some sort of courtyard behind.  I'm thinking the design is going to be more of a block (with one curved corner) and an open area within.  That will be very cool.  

Also, it is hard to tell the orientation of the rendering.  Perhaps this is facing outward toward the Rosa Parks/Jefferson corner, and there might be a more pillars/facade to compliment the State Library on the 7th Avenue side.  

Am also curious if there will be several levels of parking underneath.  Same goes for the State Library/Archives structure.

I see that now. I scanned over the RFP PDF for the Museum design and it did call for a large gathering and meeting place in the lobby.

1 person likes this

oh, I see now that I was thinking of the State Library and Archives on the 6th Ave side.     Makes sense that the State Museum would be in a separate building.     

On 1/12/2016 at 5:46 PM, Vrtigo said:

And it'll be a great compliment to the payday lender on the opposite corner. :rolleyes:

Eh, by my reading of the layout, won't the museum be facing the mall?

^ ^ ^ There is no official rendering of the layout yet. PHofKS put something together for us on his own from his wonderful imagination.  We still don't know which way the "front entrance" will be situated currently.  Perhaps there will even be more than one entrance (?)

On 1/15/2016 at 1:20 PM, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ There is no official rendering of the layout yet. PHofKS put something together for us on his own from his wonderful imagination.  We still don't know which way the "front entrance" will be situated currently.  Perhaps there will even be more than one entrance (?)

That's true, but it really only makes sense to have it face the park. And I'm almost certain I read something in the past about it doing just that...or it could just be my raging early onset senility...:ph34r:

Yay!!  One step forward and two steps back!! <_<

1 person likes this

I read that they were looking at demolishing the sheds on the north end of the farmers market for parking that would be shared by the market & museum. You know, the sheds where the flea market type vendors set up! I would NOT be saddened if that part of the market were eliminated.

3 people like this

Why do we need surface parking lots there at all?  Can we, for once, be a grown up city and act like the metropolis of two million people that we are instead of sticking our heads in the sand and pretending we're Hattiesburg or something?  Look at Independence Avenue in Washington DC.  All the museums that line that street, including the Smithsonian institutions, each one a far larger draw than the Tennessee State Museum is ever likely to be, and not a single surface parking lot in sight.  All parking is underground or in garages.  Yet in Nashville, we can't manage for some reason without each of our museums having their own sprawling surface parking lot.  I get it at institutions like the Cumberland Science Museum that are separated from the urban fabric and not a part of any existing park system, but in a spot like this on the mall, or in Centennial Park, a giant surface lot really creates a scar on the landscape where something beautiful that the city could be proud of could otherwise exist and flourish.  Like titanhog said, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back with this city sometimes.  I just don't get it.

(BTW, just wanted to clarify this was not directed at you donNDonelson)

Edited by BnaBreaker
3 people like this

Not only are they putting a parking lot in, the corner of Rosa Parks and Jefferson will not be activated according to the placement of the building.

1 person likes this

You have got to be kidding me... The only reason I could see that being useful would be so they could get control of land for a near term future project, but that makes no sense considering that they already have it. WTF people??

:cry:

Edited by Nathan_in_DC
2 people like this

The loss of those sheds isn't concerning. The loss of the sheds to surface parking....well...is. I mean, hell....at least dig a couple stories down and turn the surface area into more park.

The state freaking loves its surface parking.

4 people like this

3 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

The loss of those sheds isn't concerning. The loss of the sheds to surface parking....well...is. I mean, hell....at least dig a couple stories down and turn the surface area into more park.

The state freaking loves its surface parking.

Nothing like a good surface parking lot to break the monotony. All they need is a huge, tall sign sitting in a nice grassy buffer at the edge of the lot. That would be a great touch.

Edited by Philip

..I've tried to muzzle my mouth a long as possible.  I think it's time "activate" some lobbying against that part of the proposal for surface parking.