Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

News on approvals coming along with government leaders for the $162 million, 130,000 sq. ft. Tennessee State Museum to be relocated from TPAC Building to SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St. (which is the NW corner of the Bicentennial Mall).  Proposed initial rendering included:

From Knoxville News Sentinel:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/politics/conceptual-design-for-new-state-museum-unveiled-ashe-continues-spat-with-director-29157ca6-998a-6b1a-364925371.html

From Nashville Post:
http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postpolitics/2016/1/12/state_releases_new_image_for_proposed_state_museum

Tennessee State Museum, Jan. 2016.JPG

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

This is probably my favorite proposal for the city right now. The State Museum has some very good collections, and they're in a horrendous location at the moment. Getting them in to a proper museum in a focal location like that will be a huge boost.

And it'll be a great compliment to the payday lender on the opposite corner. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

This is my best guess as to the massing in this area. It will be very impressive having these two stately buildings lining the park.

CAP%20MALL_zps7g3ftbdx.jpg

And I'm quite alright with the post modern look to the Museum.

This would be a good site for the proposed proposed Suffragettes monument if use of the downtown plaza site is forbidden.

Suffragette_zpsfnsy4xol.jpg

• Like 3

^ ^ ^ In the new rendering with the curved front entrance, it appears that it is glassed-in behind the pillars and that there is some sort of courtyard behind.  I'm thinking the design is going to be more of a block (with one curved corner) and an open area within.  That will be very cool.  

Also, it is hard to tell the orientation of the rendering.  Perhaps this is facing outward toward the Rosa Parks/Jefferson corner, and there might be a more pillars/facade to compliment the State Library on the 7th Avenue side.  

Am also curious if there will be several levels of parking underneath.  Same goes for the State Library/Archives structure.

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ In the new rendering with the curved front entrance, it appears that it is glassed-in behind the pillars and that there is some sort of courtyard behind.  I'm thinking the design is going to be more of a block (with one curved corner) and an open area within.  That will be very cool.  

Also, it is hard to tell the orientation of the rendering.  Perhaps this is facing outward toward the Rosa Parks/Jefferson corner, and there might be a more pillars/facade to compliment the State Library on the 7th Avenue side.  

Am also curious if there will be several levels of parking underneath.  Same goes for the State Library/Archives structure.

I see that now. I scanned over the RFP PDF for the Museum design and it did call for a large gathering and meeting place in the lobby.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2016 at 1:20 PM, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ There is no official rendering of the layout yet. PHofKS put something together for us on his own from his wonderful imagination.  We still don't know which way the "front entrance" will be situated currently.  Perhaps there will even be more than one entrance (?)

That's true, but it really only makes sense to have it face the park. And I'm almost certain I read something in the past about it doing just that...or it could just be my raging early onset senility...:ph34r:

Why do we need surface parking lots there at all?  Can we, for once, be a grown up city and act like the metropolis of two million people that we are instead of sticking our heads in the sand and pretending we're Hattiesburg or something?  Look at Independence Avenue in Washington DC.  All the museums that line that street, including the Smithsonian institutions, each one a far larger draw than the Tennessee State Museum is ever likely to be, and not a single surface parking lot in sight.  All parking is underground or in garages.  Yet in Nashville, we can't manage for some reason without each of our museums having their own sprawling surface parking lot.  I get it at institutions like the Cumberland Science Museum that are separated from the urban fabric and not a part of any existing park system, but in a spot like this on the mall, or in Centennial Park, a giant surface lot really creates a scar on the landscape where something beautiful that the city could be proud of could otherwise exist and flourish.  Like titanhog said, it seems to be one step forward and two steps back with this city sometimes.  I just don't get it.

(BTW, just wanted to clarify this was not directed at you donNDonelson)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

The loss of those sheds isn't concerning. The loss of the sheds to surface parking....well...is. I mean, hell....at least dig a couple stories down and turn the surface area into more park.

The state freaking loves its surface parking.

Nothing like a good surface parking lot to break the monotony. All they need is a huge, tall sign sitting in a nice grassy buffer at the edge of the lot. That would be a great touch.

Edited by Philip