Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I think later on this year. I know the WW II portion is underway and that will be a large part of the exhibit at the new museum.  I may have jumped the gun on the rest of the military exhibits, but if they are going to open the WW II portion then the rest of the Military portion would be moved I would think.

The Military Branch of the Tennessee State Museum

A branch of the Tennessee State Museum, the Military Branch Museum is located in the historic War Memorial Building. Exhibitions explore America’s overseas conflicts, beginning with the Spanish-American War in 1898 and ending with Vietnam War.

There is no admission charge to the Military Branch Museum’s permanent and temporary exhibitions.

military_branch_07142016_060_hi.jpg

Hours: 
The Military Branch galleries are open Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.

The Military Branch Museum is closed on the following holidays: Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day and Easter.

301 6th Ave. North, in downtown Nashville, inside the historic War Memorial Building on Legislative Plaza. The entrance is on the left side of the building near the Vietnam War Memorial. The handicap entrance is located off of Union Street on the south end of Legislative Plaza.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I actually visited the new museum this past Saturday before the Preds game.  1 year and 1 week earlier I visited the old location one last time.  so I have both in my recent memory for comparison.

they absolutely have not moved everything.  if you go to a show at TPAC soon, you can look down into the museum and see some of the displays still completely intact with artifacts untouched. you can also see a bunch of packed crates ready to move.  

my review:   

the old location suffered from artifact overload and context deficit.    the new location offers plenty of context but lacks artifacts.    example.   the old location had case after case of arrow heads.   the new location might have 6 on display.   the new location is much more audio visual enhanced than the old one.  every room has video screens, touch screens and projections on every wall.   you can hear different audio every few feet.

as far as the building goes.  I hope it is not complete!  there are very obvious panels missing or cut incorrectly starting from the door, continuing up the stairs, and into the exhibits.   one of the main doors didn't even have a frame around it!

the exhibits do flow better than the old location, but can get confusing.  the special exhibit rooms are only accessible from the permanent displays, but if you go in those, you will end up completely out of order with the permanent.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2