Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

Good luck , as this is the State, and Metro has no authority over them or the Federal Government. They can build what they want where they want.

That's a known, for certain.  While it does not compare to tearing down Cordell-Hulls, it still could spur public awareness, not so much for a challenge, but just for the bad publicity.  That's what I mean. -==-

Here is the layout of the current rendering of the new museum.  Indeed, it does look like there are two entrances. I think the park on the north side, facing the Jefferson st. and Rosa Parks intersection might actually look nice, depending on the facade on the structure on that side. Centering the eastern edge on the 7th Ave. Roundabout will look nice as it faces across the Carillon and to the Tenn. State Archives building which will be centered on the 6th Ave. Roundabout.

Tenn. State Museum diagram, Jan. 2016.png

Here is an internal view of the curved lobby area looking southward.

Tenn. State Museum inner rendering Jan. 2016.jpg

Edited by markhollin
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, markhollin said:

Here is the layout of the current rendering of the new museum.  Indeed, it does look like there are two entrances. I think the park on the north side, facing the Jefferson st. and Rosa Parks intersection might actually look nice, depending on the facade on the structure on that side. Centering the eastern edge on the 7th Ave. Roundabout will look nice as it faces across the Carillon and to the Tenn. State Archives building which will be centered on the 6th Ave. Roundabout.

Tenn. State Museum diagram, Jan. 2016.png

Much better than the elevations seemed to indicate. Still, the two sheds!!

More encouraging, but I want to see the elevations from the Rosa Parks/Jefferson St sides.   The little paved area on the north side looks like a possible loading dock use and my concern is the museum will present its ass end toward the intersection.    Not that there's anything remotely significant bordering the intersection today, but the museum design should consider future development along Jefferson.   

The loony part to me after seeing the aerial layout posted above, is that with some minor reconfiguration of how the museum is situated on the lot, they could very likely fit a surface parking lot that would more or less equal the size of the parking lot they're likely to build where the sheds sit now.  But I guess it's easier just to plop the museum randomly down into the middle of the lot for no real reason and then proceed to bulldoze and pave over half of a beloved Nashville institution instead of putting any real thought into it.  Whatever group of people in the state government that is making these decisions has such a collective archaic mindset about these sorts of things!  Very frustrating. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

The loony part to me after seeing the aerial layout posted above, is that with some minor reconfiguration of how the museum is situated on the lot, they could very likely fit a surface parking lot that would more or less equal the size of the parking lot they're likely to build where the sheds sit now.  But I guess it's easier just to plop the museum randomly down into the middle of the lot for no real reason and then proceed to bulldoze and pave over half of a beloved Nashville institution instead of putting any real thought into it.  Whatever group of people in the state government that is making these decisions has such a collective archaic mindset about these sorts of things!  Very frustrating. 

Agree it certainly seems like the museum could have easily been designed to fit within the existing empty corner parcel.    The current sheds lot already facilitates a significant amount of parking and there would be room to create more to handle school buses, etc.     In other words, why not leave the sheds and share the parking that already exists.    

And where, pray tell, will the NashTrash Tours have to relocate to?   ^_^

Museum

I honestly don't have a problem with the green space around the museum. It doesn't have to be built to super urban standards. It's not downtown, and it's part of a larger park campus.

My beef is with turning the sheds (which do have their own surface parking, to be fair) into more surface parking. In the end, it may be a net neutral for surface parking....I would just like to see a commitment from the state to promote green space on their lots rather than surface parking. We could have a really beautiful North Capitol region if the state would rededicate their parking to underground garage/green space. Imagine Capitol Hill with no asphalt. The state property (including structures) represents ~100 acres of land...if you consolidated a lot of that state parking, you could probably double the park area of the Bicentennial Mall.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

I honestly don't have a problem with the green space around the museum. It doesn't have to be built to super urban standards. It's not downtown, and it's part of a larger park campus.

My beef is with turning the sheds (which do have their own surface parking, to be fair) into more surface parking. In the end, it may be a net neutral for surface parking....I would just like to see a commitment from the state to promote green space on their lots rather than surface parking. We could have a really beautiful North Capitol region if the state would rededicate their parking to underground garage/green space. Imagine Capitol Hill with no asphalt. The state property (including structures) represents ~100 acres of land...if you consolidated a lot of that state parking, you could probably double the park area of the Bicentennial Mall.

I don't have a problem with the green space around the museum at all aside from the fact that if they eliminated it they could likely have their surface parking (if they insist on having it) without demolishing existing structures.

Edited by BnaBreaker

23 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I don't have a problem with the green space around the museum at all aside from the fact that if they eliminated it they could likely have their surface parking (if they insist on having it) without demolishing existing structures.

The structures we're talking about are open air sheds...not exactly architecturally significant buildings. 

I just feel that if the state decides to raze those buildings in favor of parking, that surface parking will be there a long, long time from now.

59 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

The structures we're talking about are open air sheds...not exactly architecturally significant buildings. 

I realize that the structures in question aren't landmarks, but the architectural significance of the structures has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make.  I just think it's lazy, irresponsible, and backwards to just plow over whatever stands in the way of their pursuit for more parking, in this case part of a beloved civic institution, instead of putting that parking underground or making an attempt to fit adequate parking onto the museum lot itself. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I realize that the structures in question aren't landmarks, but the architectural significance of the structures has nothing to do with the point I'm trying to make.  I just think it's lazy, irresponsible, and backwards to just plow over whatever stands in the way of their pursuit for more parking, in this case part of a beloved civic institution, instead of putting that parking underground or making an attempt to fit adequate parking onto the museum lot itself. 

Would you be in favor of demolishing the sheds for a below grade parking garage with park or plaza space on top?

• Like 1

Just now, Philip said:

I enjoy seeing the area around it becoming more urban, and think it would be nice if the state participated. I love when buildings front the street, like what's happening throughout Germantown. I'm kind of weird about it.

Agreed!  I don't think it's weird at all.  I mean, buildings fronting the street and opening out to it, creating a solid street wall and a 'friendly face' etc. etc...those are the qualities that make urban neighborhoods great.  They're essential, in my book.  It isn't enough just to have an 'urban style' building that is near the street, but not next to it, that is closed off to the street with the entrance in the rear offering nothing more than blank walls to passers by...when this happens you get neighborhoods like West End Park that have density to a certain extent, but are just a complete unorganized mess that still feel wholly suburban. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Agreed!  I don't think it's weird at all.  I mean, buildings fronting the street and opening out to it, creating a solid street wall and a 'friendly face' etc. etc...those are the qualities that make urban neighborhoods great.  They're essential, in my book.  It isn't enough just to have an 'urban style' building that is near the street, but not next to it, that is closed off to the street with the entrance in the rear offering nothing more than blank walls to passers by...when this happens you get neighborhoods like West End Park that have density to a certain extent, but are just a complete unorganized mess that still feel wholly suburban. 

That's why it's so nice to walk up and down 2nd Ave.

That bit about West End Park may change at some point. Opus 31 and 29 are side by side and across the street from some other pretty good buildings, and houses are being bought up and developed gradually, but it still has a long way to go.

• Like 1

The sheds on that side of the market have been somewhat under utilized, however it was being used for a number of special events. Metro will be compensated for the loss of the sheds to about 6 million if I remember right from the article to do upgrades at the Farmers Market.

Even though the sheds are not great, they have a lot of potential. I know we are talking about money here and tax dollars at that, but I think the area could use a parking garage and the remainder of the surface parking could be used as expansion of the market at some point.

• Like 1

I recall taking my kids to the Farmers Market a couple of years ago in late April... on a weekday... early afternoon... and parking was horrendous.  I recall going in on that side of the market, and there were only a few trucks set up. All the action was on the south side of the main building. I didn't know if it was like that all the time. Anyway, if it is, then perhaps the tradeoff is more parking in exchange for giving up an underutilized section.  I just was not familiar with your F.M. 

^ ^ ^ Those two northern sheds are usually only busy on Saturdays and Sundays, primarily with flea market kind of stuff.  Kinda tacky actually.  Not to say there isn't a place for things of that nature…but for the most part, if that is ALL that is going to be there for 2/7ths of a given week, then it's time to look for better uses.  Granted, a parking lot isn't very zesty, but there is, indeed, a need for more parking along that side of Becentennial Mall. Not only could a larger lot there serve the Market and the Museum, but would most likely be quite popular for Sounds games as well.  Perhaps they could at least line the medians with trees, and well as some nice foliage along Rosa Parks Blvd. to help it blend with the State Park environs. 

I agree with others that and underground lot would be the best---but I guess that sort of excavation and added construction is not in the state budget for the Museum.  

Currently, the two sheds on the northern side of the Farmer's Market do nothing to contribute to the mission of the Farmer's Market. I don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but this might be intentional to 1) remove this noncontributing element and 2) give some much needed money to the Farmer's Market. While the loss will be lamented, it is very difficult to see a need for them anytime in the next 20-30 years. Hopefully, 20 years from now, There will be a proposal to extend the Farmer's Market back onto this lot - DUE TO DEMAND.

Other cities have a big centralized Farmer's Market, but metro Nashville has spoken clearly that it has no interest in such. Franklin, East Nashville, etc. all want a local Farmer's Market and when you talk with the people at these local farmer's markets, almost all of them have never visited (or only visited 1-2x) the Nashville Farmer's Market - and over 50% of them will never visit the Nashville FM due to A) the distance and B) perception that their local market is better. People here will not drive 20-30+ minutes to buy corn for $4/dozen, but they will if it is Whole Foods - very frustrating ...

The forced removal of Gulf Pride Seafood was probably the most stupid move by the NFM in the history of the market and resulted in a severe drop in business/visitors. Ending the 3rd party resellers to return it to a 'traditional' farmer's market, was one of the best decisions in the in history of NFM.

Regarding the parking - and putting aside the obvious need for a small amount of parking near the museum for handicapped parking, event staging, loading dock access, etc.

The majority of personal automobile-driving visitors to this museum will likely be coming on weekends.  Why not use the state garage that was recently built for a lot of this parking?  It's all of a 0.4 mile walk, and would force people to traverse the very cool and under-utilized Centennial Mall that tells the story of Tennessee's history. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RonCamp said:

The majority of personal automobile-driving visitors to this museum will likely be coming on weekends.  Why not use the state garage that was recently built for a lot of this parking?  It's all of a 0.4 mile walk, and would force people to traverse the very cool and under-utilized Centennial Mall that tells the story of Tennessee's history.

Or better yet, move the stupid data center across the street from the garage and build the museum there, as was originally planned.

• Like 1