Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

7 hours ago, titanhog said:

^^What's that huge warehouse across Rosa Parks from the Farmer's Market?

That's the Dip "Fak-treh"
U.S. Tobacco (Copenhagen, Skoal, Bruton, Rooster Dry, et.al...).  It runs on both sides of Harrison Street.

Edited by rookzie

Anybody have any knowledge of US Tobacco's long-term plans there?  Gotta think with the price it'll eventually command, they'll be looking to sell in the next few years, especially once the back section of Capitol View is under construction and basically abutting their property.  Lot of potential there.

7 minutes ago, titanhog said:

If they made cigarettes too...they could call the place "Snuff and Puff."  ;)

..and during the early 1950's (when I came along and it was called "Model Tobacco" [giant red animated neon sign read "Smoke Model Tobacco", prior to being rebuild as "Bruton Snuff"]), it would have been riding "Ye Ol' Huff-n-Puff past the "Snuff-n-Puff" (steam passenger train past the pipe-tobacco plant)

Model tobacco.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don't think they are going anywhere as they are doing improvements now to the buildings. I really do not think they will move or go out of business till there is no longer a demand for smokeless tobacco.

Everyone has a price. Once the land is valuable enough it will be gone. I imagine as Germantown fills up and Capitol View finishes up you could start to see some movement here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I don't think they are going anywhere as they are doing improvements now to the buildings. I really do not think they will move or go out of business till there is no longer a demand for smokeless tobacco.

14 hours ago, samsonh said:

Everyone has a price. Once the land is valuable enough it will be gone. I imagine as Germantown fills up and Capitol View finishes up you could start to see some movement here.

Yes, everything has a potential of "going somewhere" eventually, even if we're all gone by then.  I definitely would presume that the gigantic flat bordering the north side of Harrison Street, between 10th and 8th (Rosa Parks), would be dispensable, but I would hope that the original plant on the south side would be spared for adaptive re-use, rather than be razed.  Each of those freestanding older structures was built during different periods.  I believe that sufficient real estate potential exists in the region to justify not converting these structures to pure residential, and I would hope that these, along with the octagonal-cross-section masonry smoke-stack capped off years ago, would be transformed into some focal-point development similar to that of the ongoing plans of the former Sears Crosstown distribution center in Memphis, by Crosstown, LLC.   While they do not comprise the footprint size and enclosed volume as that of the Crosstown property, they are nonetheless interesting.

• Like 3

I kind of like the old tobacco plant, it helps that part of town retain at least a reminder of its active industrial past. Keeps it interesting. Anyway, to justify the cost of moving production from what is a rather ideal location (transportation access, worker pool, etc), it would have to be a massive offer. Remember, they'd have to completely shut down production at one of their major plants for months just to move equipment and get a new facility set up. I just don't see that happening with all of the available land in the area, at least not for another 20 years. Odds are there will be outside forces (increased restrictions on the production of tobacco products) that remove the factory from downtown before market forces do.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Drove by this site yesterday. With the steel up you get a better sense of how imposing this building is going to be, certainly made a bigger impression than I had envisioned. Wish it paid a little more attention to the Rosa Parks/Jefferson corner but either way this is an awesome development for the area.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure it'll be a great facility and a valuable resource for knowledge that the city can be proud of for decades to come.  It looks like a lot of thought and planning went into it.  I just wish it looked more like a museum on the outside and less like a distribution warehouse, but in the grand scheme of things, I guess it is on the inside that counts.