Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

Lots of steel going up on the museum.

Looking south from intersection of 7th Ave. North and Jefferson Street:

Tenn State Museum 1, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking north along Rosa Parks Blvd at intersection with Locklayer St:

Tenn State Museum 2, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking SE from intersection of Rosa L. Parks Blvd. and Jefferson Street:

Tenn State Museum 3, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking south from 7th Ave. North:

Tenn State Museum 4, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

Looking NW from 7th Ave. North near Farmer's Market:

Tenn State Museum 5, Mar 12, 2017.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Nashville Post:

The team behind the Tennessee State Museum under construction at the Bicentennial Mall has landed a major permit, valued at $79 million.

Overseen by the Tennessee Department of General Services, the North Capitol project carries an approximately $162 million price tag. The building will sit at the southeast corner of the intersection of Jefferson Street and Rosa Parks Boulevard. A fall 2018 opening is eyed.

Nashville-based EOA Architects and Hammel, Green and Abrahamson, which is based in Minneapolis, are designing the limestone-bathed structure. The Nashville office of Turner Construction Co. is serving as general contractor.

The facility will be served by a surface parking lot that visitors to the adjacent Farmer's Market also can use. With the market next door, the museum will not offer an eatery.

• Like 1

I think TPAC has been wanting to renovate that area (museum) for many years. Its awkward space and very dated. Opened up and done right, it could be really nice. TPAC has suffered since it opened as being very underwhelming, even after the last renovations.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looking north along Rosa Parks Blvd. from near intersection with Locklayer St:

Tenn State Museum 1, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Tenn State Museum 2, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Looking SE from intersection with Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St:

Tenn State Museum 3, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Looking south from intersection of Jefferson St. and 7th Ave. North:

Tenn State Museum 4, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Looking SW from 7th Ave. North near Carillon Roundabout:

Tenn State Museum 5, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Tenn State Museum 6, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Tenn State Museum 7, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

Looking NW from  7th Ave. North:

Tenn State Museum 8, Sept 10, 2017.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SoundScan said:

Pictures don't really do it justice; it seems fairly imposing up close. I think the finished product will be nice though I wish the designers had paid more attention to it's surroundings, specifically Rosa L Parks Blvd and Jefferson street frontages.

I don't think think there's much in the way of "frontages" where they're building this. It's mainly new apartments and parking lots, with a gas station across the street. Honestly paying more attention to the surroundings would have had the developers making the museum look like a refurbished Piggly Wiggly. 

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2017 at 10:15 AM, Pdt2f said:

I don't think think there's much in the way of "frontages" where they're building this. It's mainly new apartments and parking lots, with a gas station across the street. Honestly paying more attention to the surroundings would have had the developers making the museum look like a refurbished Piggly Wiggly. 

front·age
ˈfrən(t)ij/
noun

1. the facade of a building.
    • a strip or extent of land abutting on a street or water.

My point is that the designers of this museum have essentially fronted a major intersection and gateway to Germantown with what amounts to the blank backside of a warehouse.  That the other structures that currently exist along the streets adjacent to this building are also sub-par is irrelevant--in 10 years it's likely most of them won't exist given the pace of redevelopment. My hope was that the designers would try to raise the bar. That you believe this would result in a museum that looks like an old grocery store is pretty odd.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoundScan said:
front·age
ˈfrən(t)ij/
noun

1. the facade of a building.
    • a strip or extent of land abutting on a street or water.

My point is that the designers of this museum have essentially fronted a major intersection and gateway to Germantown with what amounts to the blank backside of a warehouse.  That the other structures that currently exist along the streets adjacent to this building are also sub-par is irrelevant--in 10 years it's likely most of them won't exist given the pace of redevelopment. My hope was that the designers would try to raise the bar. That you believe this would result in a museum that looks like an old grocery store is pretty odd.

My apologies, I completely misunderstood what you were saying in the above post. I thought you were saying that the museum needed to fit in with the surrounding frontages, but you were making the very good point that the architects should have taken into account the frontage of this project. My bad. 

• Like 1