Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

6 hours ago, PHofKS said:

They should open branch museums in East and West Tennessee with some of that surplus. I'm sure Jackson or Memphis would love to have one and might help finance it.

Indeed, a Museum of West Tennessee in Memphis would be awesome! East Tennessee already has the East Tennessee History Museum in Knoxville, but maybe Chattanooga?

• 1 month later...

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, markhollin said:

Tenn State Museum, Oct 11, 2019, 1.png

Tenn State Museum, Oct 11, 2019, 2.png

If you have not been, be sure to go, it is so well done and very impressive.  I would suggest going in the afternoon as the mornings are filled with children, most of whom could care less and can be very annoying when trying to read or enjoy the many mini movies about various periods of time.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
7 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Weird!!! Why didn't they put this museum in the location of the new African American Music Museum and the African American Music Museum in this location close to Jefferson St.  

I'll never get to visit the African American Music Museum because of its location on Broadway. 

The state owned the land where their project sits and they needed more space. It also works better on the mall with other state buildings and the NMAAM is a private museum. The NMAAM wanted to go on the TSM site but they didnt own the land.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

Weird!!! Why didn't they put this museum in the location of the new African American Music Museum and the African American Music Museum in this location close to Jefferson St.  

I'll never get to visit the African American Music Museum because of its location on Broadway. 

image.jpeg.18f0b9511b14a3a2ef316c6044fe03e3.jpeg

• Like 1

I would imagine the NMAAM decided Lower Broad was a good initial place to be, considering foot traffic and the fact they were able to get a sweet deal from the city to be placed in that location.  I would also imagine that if they grow…bring in huge numbers of visitors…and are able to financially set aside money….they will eventually build a stand-alone museum elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

^ Sometimes, maybe. But within the sarcasm could be a legitimate concern that some people don't feel welcome, or safe, on Broadway

Safety is a concern at the TN State Museum site too at certain times. I think putting the NMAAM at 5th & Broadway, which is not only the most valuable real estate location in Nashville (and maybe Tennessee), but also among the honky tonks, speaks volumes. Nashville leadership ensured  the city is inclusive in its investments and also gives the NMAAM the best location to succeed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...