Tennessee State Museum, SE corner of Rosa Parks Blvd. and Jefferson St.

markhollin

• 2 weeks later...

The new Tennessee State Museum is scheduled to open to the public on Thursday, Oct. 4.

The Museum hosted its final event in its former location in the James K. Polk building in early May. Throughout the summer, artifacts and exhibitions have been installed in the new location.

The museum will continue to offer free admission.

More at behind theNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/odds-ends/article/21019365/of-note-24-august-2018

Screen Shot 2018-08-23 at 6.06.17 PM.png

• Like 2

They always had a donation box in the entry area of the previous location. I would expect that to be a continued practice. They are also selling commemorative  pavers to be engraved (for a sizable contribution) and installed in the entry plaza area outside the new facility.

Edited by donNdonelson2
correcting a word that auto-correct amended incorrectly
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, AronG said:

In all honesty, the intent of museums are not to activate the exterior, but rather the interior. Having the doors face the capital almost forces someone to walk through the landscaped area between Jefferson and the Museum and experience going around the building to enter it. Presuming the landscaping is executed well and is welcoming to all, this would be the desired activation for museums.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who had no idea this was ready to open? I mean, I've been out of town for a while but gosh. That said, museum looks great from what I can see. I remember taking a field trip to the original one as a kid and being bored out of my mind so this looks like a great improvement. 

• Like 2