Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
motonenterprises

Is Greenville Ready For A New Tallest?

15 posts in this topic

With the multiple projects that are going on and multiple little cranes that are popping up. Is Greenville getting closer to building something taller than the Landmark building? I'm loving the density that is currently being added.

For that to happen we would have to recruit a new corporate HQ or move a suburban one into the core. 

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

For that to happen we would have to recruit a new corporate HQ or move a suburban one into the core. 

Maybe. I'm not sure who it could be. Construction has definitely picked up. The one project could've been it, but they decided to build 2 shorter towers. But like I said, the density is still nice. 

There is a lot less vacant lots today than there were even a few years ago, which is a positive.  But not sure when we'll get to the point where it makes economic sense to go higher than a mid rise.  

Another obstacle is the city itself.  The One project squeaked through DRB approval, as there were people that didn't want tall buildings.   I think that attitude is slowly changing though.  

There has been one approved at the corner of Broad and Falls before I think. It just never came to fruition. The folks complaining about the One Project never had that much effect. It was built as designed. I can't think anything else that's ever been proposed that was going to be as tall. The feel is changing and they're spreading out some across Academy and Church streets. It's interesting to watch.

I for one would like to see a signature highrise that defines Greenville.  Im tired of all the mid rises.  But for some reason there doesnt seem to be a developer that can thimk outside of the 10 story box.  

2 people like this

18 minutes ago, deltad22 said:

I for one would like to see a signature highrise that defines Greenville.  Im tired of all the mid rises.  But for some reason there doesnt seem to be a developer that can thimk outside of the 10 story box.  

I definitely would too, but I understand there has to be a need and an investor willing to do it. It'll happen in time. We just don't know when.

1 hour ago, deltad22 said:

I wonder if it has to do with developers being scared of the DRB not approving their project due to height concerns???

Edited by gman430

I think we will merely have to wait until more lots are filled before we see something taller. Maybe another 10 years, but it will come. The city has probably stopped expanding C4, so the type of land can will be able to have a high rise on it will start to minimize. As land prices rise...so will the number of stories. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

I wonder if it has to do with developers being scared of the DRB not approving their project due to height concerns???

My thought is if there was money to be made with a high rise, someone would probably figure out a way to get it approved.  Though it is a potential obstacle.  

Also, seems that I remember reading that the city is in the process of updating its design guidelines, and height restrictions in the central business district will likely removed in the process.   Don't quote me on that however.  

Edited by chuckyvt

On 1/14/2016 at 11:43 PM, motonenterprises said:

With the multiple projects that are going on and multiple little cranes that are popping up. Is Greenville getting closer to building something taller than the Landmark building? I'm loving the density that is currently being added.

I think we've had threads about this in the past. It is sort of a pet peeve of mine for Greenville, not that skylines and tall buildings are essential of course. Just that I would love to see a tall building or two. For some reason it bugs me to see all these other cities our size with these cool skylines and Greenville's is nothing but 5-10 story buildings. While I love to see the increase in density DT, I would trade a few of these small developments for one tall one; and it seems it would be cheaper to build anyway- we just have to get a developer to think vertically, but they don't seem to around here. The Tower at Fall and Broad was proposed, before the recession, at 350 ft but never built, and Rick Theones had a new tallest proposal at the Gateway site but fell through as well (now we get a four story appt building :wacko:  I am still very disappointed with the lack of height (and architecture) that will fill the GNews site, and the early proposals for the County Square site. A 10-12 story building - YAWN. Both sites had the opportunity to be be very dense game changers for DT but the vision seems to be short-sighted and uninspired. Especially the county square site - it has to be one of the most potentially laden sites of any city our size in the country, and they are talking about a couple low rise buildings with a parking garage and surface lots - sorry but it sounds like a hastily planned suburban office park that is designed to just fill the space as quickly as possible. :(  Maybe we are just too small to get a highrise (even though Cola and Mobile and NC cities can get them), or maybe our leaders don't want them, or maybe our developers and architects just don't think along those lines. Maybe in my lifetime I will get to see one but who knows.:P

17 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

I think we've had threads about this in the past. It is sort of a pet peeve of mine for Greenville, not that skylines and tall buildings are essential of course. Just that I would love to see a tall building or two. For some reason it bugs me to see all these other cities our size with these cool skylines and Greenville's is nothing but 5-10 story buildings. While I love to see the increase in density DT, I would trade a few of these small developments for one tall one; and it seems it would be cheaper to build anyway- we just have to get a developer to think vertically, but they don't seem to around here. The Tower at Fall and Broad was proposed, before the recession, at 350 ft but never built, and Rick Theones had a new tallest proposal at the Gateway site but fell through as well (now we get a four story appt building :wacko:  I am still very disappointed with the lack of height (and architecture) that will fill the GNews site, and the early proposals for the County Square site. A 10-12 story building - YAWN. Both sites had the opportunity to be be very dense game changers for DT but the vision seems to be short-sighted and uninspired. Especially the county square site - it has to be one of the most potentially laden sites of any city our size in the country, and they are talking about a couple low rise buildings with a parking garage and surface lots - sorry but it sounds like a hastily planned suburban office park that is designed to just fill the space as quickly as possible. :(  Maybe we are just too small to get a highrise (even though Cola and Mobile and NC cities can get them), or maybe our leaders don't want them, or maybe our developers and architects just don't think along those lines. Maybe in my lifetime I will get to see one but who knows.:P

I wouldn't mind seeing at least one signature tower also. I think it'll happen eventually. The 2 towers at One could've been combined to do it.

Edited by motonenterprises

I wouldn't mind seeing a one 20-story and one 40-story tower.

It's entirely based on market conditions. I'm sure that one will happen sooner or later. Obviously there is demand for office space in Greenville. All you really need is a large enough corporation to move to town and want contiguous office space - but most likely it would take a company moving in a building its own tower. 

Columbia has a different set of challenges. The last office building in town was the NBSC HQ on Main Street. They actually have less office space because after SCANA left downtown, the building they occupied was converted to residential. All if the midrise construction you see right now is student apartments, which is largely driven by USC. 

A high rise is cool for skyline purposes, but I'd rather have 4x ten storey buildings than 2x twentys. It's better for the built environment to spread out that kind of density. Greenville's downtown is a testament to spreading out density. The more things spread around, the more land values will increase, and the more people will want to be there... all of that leads to more buildings and sooner or later one will be able to compete with the Landmark tower.

1 person likes this

Yeah I'm not in a rush to be a big city. It's going to be cool to watch big buildings get built and change the skyline but I have to say what we all love about Greenville is the city feel with the small town hospitality. Sooner or later we are going to lose that and just be a big city and I think the big buildings and corporations will be what drives that change. I'm already somewhat concerned about what the people are going to be like that are moving into all of these condos and apartments downtown and what their expectations of city life is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk