Is Greenville Ready For A New Tallest?

motonenterprises

DC has a very extensive urban fabric, which is aided by the imposed height limitations -- this is definitely true during its rough years of decay. But, it is fair to be noted that DC also faces very serious problems as a result of those same limitations (affordability, gentrification, sprawl, quality of space-- i.e. sunlight penetrating interior of these large format floor plates and low ceilings).

Greenville is building out the way that it needs to. We've seen a lot of midrises over the past decade that have really aided in adding to the "shoulders" of the urban fabric. Greenville is in a good spot, and IF the City will actively expand its urban boundaries and DRB influence as the city grows, then I think we are in a good spot to see Greenville handle its growth and continue as a great example of a thriving downtown. 

I don’t disagree. Great reply. And again I was not as much advocating against height but merely pointing out that cities can still be wonderful without. All in all I think everyone wants a balance and not have Greenville lose the charm of the low density downtown and the original structures. Greenville should be it’s own unique brand and not aspire to be a clone of another city. 

5 minutes ago, LBT said:

I don’t disagree. Great reply. And again I was not as much advocating against height but merely pointing out that cities can still be wonderful without. All in all I think everyone wants a balance and not have Greenville lose the charm of the low density downtown and the original structures. Greenville should be it’s own unique brand and not aspire to be a clone of another city. 

100%. Greenville has created a showpiece, and not by accident. At the same time, that really needs to be protected.

2 hours ago, LBT said:

Every time I hear someone say charm, I think of a really small town. Greenville is growing at a healthy clip and is already a metro of 900k+ people. Some things are going to change. It ain't Mayberry.

• Thanks 1