Deck Parks

all2neat

In Dallas there has been a big push for deck parks. Basically the idea is to sink the freeway and build a park on top of the freeway. We have one downtown that has led to a complete revitalization of the area and has become a destination within the city.

There is a push in Dallas to add a new deck park in the Oak Cliff neighborhood which the closest comparison to BR would be North Baton Rouge. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20160116-could-a-deck-park-rejoin-and-rejuvenate-the-oak-cliff-neighborhoods-that-i-35e-tore-asunder.ece

I love the idea for BR, especially downtown along I110. I hope someone in power looks at bringing this idea to BR. It is costly but seems to be worth it if it can revitalize an area.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, all2neat said:

In Dallas there has been a big push for deck parks. Basically the idea is to sink the freeway and build a park on top of the freeway. We have one downtown that has led to a complete revitalization of the area and has become a destination within the city.

There is a push in Dallas to add a new deck park in the Oak Cliff neighborhood which the closest comparison to BR would be North Baton Rouge. 

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20160116-could-a-deck-park-rejoin-and-rejuvenate-the-oak-cliff-neighborhoods-that-i-35e-tore-asunder.ece

I love the idea for BR, especially downtown along I110. I hope someone in power looks at bringing this idea to BR. It is costly but seems to be worth it if it can revitalize an area.

I have supported this along I110 for years. Hell, Baton Rouge if it really wanted to spend the money they could easily do it...and maybe even build a subway system.

I also find that many of the big ideas here always find someway to become a reality. ;)

1 hour ago, Antrell Williams said:

Would a sunken freeway be the best idea in south Louisiana? I've always preferred a wide boulevard with a wide median and bike lanes.

It actually can be done in Baton Rouge, it's high enough above sea level. It would be a disaster in New Orleans though.

All2Neat...are you referring to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas? If so...there are so many workable components making that a success..connecting Uptown with the Arts/Theatre District

Boston's Big Dig comes to mind...where a 1.5 mile linnear-park was created cutting around the Financial District thru the heart of their downtown...there were plenty of obstacles

Phoenix has a cool one along I-10 that has a park with library & museum on top

Mid-town Atlanta has a smaller version pocket-park at Tech Square

That would be pretty cool to have the "Park Deck" in BR  along I-110 flanking east downtown...however i think they are about to invest a lot of $$  on improved /neon? lighting underneath the continual overpass for several blocks?

Actually there is a sunken stretch of  I-110 that briefly runs East/West near Memorial Stadium...but dont think it would work there

Like Antrell...i too like wide tree-line boulevards ...just not taking the place of I-110

2 hours ago, richyb83 said:

All2Neat...are you referring to Klyde Warren Park in Dallas? If so...there are so many workable components making that a success..connecting Uptown with the Arts/Theatre District

Boston's Big Dig comes to mind...where a 1.5 mile linnear-park was created cutting around the Financial District thru the heart of their downtown...there were plenty of obstacles

Phoenix has a cool one along I-10 that has a park with library & museum on top

Mid-town Atlanta has a smaller version pocket-park at Tech Square

That would be pretty cool to have the "Park Deck" in BR  along I-110 flanking east downtown...however i think they are about to invest a lot of $$  on improved /neon? lighting underneath the continual overpass for several blocks?

Actually there is a sunken stretch of  I-110 that briefly runs East/West near Memorial Stadium...but dont think it would work there

Like Antrell...i too like wide tree-line boulevards ...just not taking the place of I-110

I actually think it could work very well along that breif sunken stretch, but I like those views...especially when driving home from the airport after a long trip. 

On 1/20/2016 at 8:45 AM, dan326 said:

I have to agree with Richy. I'm not quite sure those ideas would work for I110. The only place I could see that working would be between the hotels at I10/College Dr.

12 hours ago, all2neat said:

I think I10 around college is a good choice. I also like I110 downtown. I think it could revitalize the other size of the freeway from downtown.

Actually...wait...can we please...can we seriously please have this. Make College and Accadian go over it too? That would be freaking awesome. What would be really cool is if they could sink I10 from Ward Creek all the way up to EWashington. That would be amazing and open up tons of land 

On 1/18/2016 at 1:41 PM, mr. bernham said:

It actually can be done in Baton Rouge, it's high enough above sea level. It would be a disaster in New Orleans though.

Have you ever driven around the Gov Mansion or along Acadia during a heavy rain shower? 

On 1/23/2016 at 11:20 PM, ehyfield said:

Also, think about commercial trucks carrying hazmat, explosives specifically. They normally aren't allowed through extended tunnels and they would have no easy alternate route since we have no "loop." I'm talking about the College/Acadian idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another reason for a "loop"

Archived