The Locks at 321

varunner

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen any movement yet on this 12-story Locks residential “tower?”  It seemed to me that when they announced it that they would begin construction, pretty much right away.  I haven’t heard or seen anything since. Could there be another delay?  If we’re lucky, maybe a business approached the developer about adding some office space and therefore would need a redesign (fingers crossed).  Has anyone been down there lately to know if they have noticed anything different?  Just curious.  

8 hours ago, eandslee said:

Has anyone seen any movement yet on this 12-story Locks residential “tower?”  It seemed to me that when they announced it that they would begin construction, pretty much right away.  I haven’t heard or seen anything since. Could there be another delay?  If we’re lucky, maybe a business approached the developer about adding some office space and therefore would need a redesign (fingers crossed).  Has anyone been down there lately to know if they have noticed anything different?  Just curious.  

I was down there this weekend and nothing has changed.... no demo has started yet. I was disappointed since the last reported info indicated that demo was supposed to start around the beginning of December. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, georgeglass said:

I was down there this weekend and nothing has changed.... no demo has started yet. I was disappointed since the last reported info indicated that demo was supposed to start around the beginning of December. 

That’s what I thought.  I have a feeling that something is afoot...not sure what, but something just isn’t right (or at least going as they planned).  Really, I hope their design changes and a taller structure is in the works.  That’s my hope, but we’ll see what actually happens. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Demo has started. Noticed from a meeting yesterday. They have start d the demo on the eastern side of the site and are moving west. The barriers and fencing have also been installed. 

Well, I guess my feeling was wrong. Thanks for the update Coupe!

• 2 weeks later...

Tell you the truth, the more I look at this tower, the more it grows upon me. This tower is gonna really boost street presence in downtown. It has a lot of residences and has great street presence, plus it’s gonna add to the canal walk. It may not be the best looking building, but I think it could really impact downtown.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Tell you the truth, the more I look at this tower, the more it grows upon me. This tower is gonna really boost street presence in downtown. It has a lot of residences and has great street presence, plus it’s gonna add to the canal walk. It may not be the best looking building, but I think it could really impact downtown.

Totally agree.  It's not perfect, but it is a quantum leap over a derelict industrial facility.  It will increase pedestrian traffic, especially on the Canal Walk, while helping to bridge the chasm between the riverfront and downtown.  If a project on this scale works, it will demonstrate that the CBD can support high density residential buildings.  The next step would be a high rise residential building in the district.

• Like 4

Okay, not that I’m easily persuaded, but after physically going down there and walking the area I will agree with you guys on your points above. The one thing I kept thinking while walking downtown yesterday was, it would be awesome if there were more people living right smack downtown in the CBD!  The area is super nice, it’s becoming so much more walkable, there are nice ships and storefronts, it close to work for those who would work downtown...it’s just the perfect place and has so much potential!  There were people walking around downtown already, but with more residents living there, downtown will be thriving (not that it’s not doing very well now). Yes, the building design is atrocious, but having all the new residents downtown will make a huge difference. Here’s to hoping this lends way to something more grandiose!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, eandslee said:

Has anyone been down to this site lately?  I was last there 3 weeks ago and posted the pictures above, but surely there has been more progress since then.  Can anyone provide a walk/driveby update?

It's just dirt and a porta-potty at the moment.  

• Like 1

I’m hoping the developer puts one up soon. The only thing is they usually don’t advertise them, so we have to go hunting for them.  Collectively, we are pretty good at finding them though. There might even already be one up, we just don’t know it yet. 

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Brent114 said:

There’s really nothing to photograph yet.  

They are either drilling or driving piles.  Lots of activity  during the day but nothing to see when all of the trucks go away in the evening. 

Ah, now that makes more sense.  Sorry, I was just feeling anxious. If they are just drilling holes for the foundation, that can be a long and boring process to watch.  So, I copy and will stand down.  I trust you all will have your eyes peeled for anything significant at the site when it happens.  Thanks for the update!

Edited by eandslee

Wow!  Thanks for posting!  I can’t believe that nothing is happening there.  Seems like things have just stopped.  Hopefully, the designers are going back to the drawing board, or even better, going back to the drawing board because someone else wants to be a part of the development which will drive a taller structure and a better design!

Such a waste for a such a prime piece of real estate.  I can dream can’t I? 

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 1