The Locks at 321

varunner

Good.  Hopefully this development falls apart and then we can get something better.  Sorry for being a sinister, but I despise this highrise.  This site needs more and something visually appealing.

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Shakman said:

Good.  Hopefully this development falls apart and then we can get something better.  Sorry for being a sinister, but I despise this highrise.  This site needs more and something visually appealing.

Oooo, we could use a parking lot down there!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jbjust said:

There is a lot of work going on at this site today.  Two excavators digging big holes...

Great update!  Thanks for passing on the word.  I guess they've begun too soon to hope for a taller, maybe even a different design.  Oh well, I'll just be happy with what we'll get.

• 5 weeks later...

Wow!  Thanks for the photo update (wasn't expecting that)!  From what I can see in the photo, I'm not sure those square footings are for a tower crane...just because there appears to be 4 of them in a row (at least from what I can see).  Usually a tower crane based will kind of be by itself.  There still may be one hidden by the trees or somewhere else I can't see in this photo, but it looks like they are at the point where they would install a crane.  I think it's just a matter of days or maybe a week or two (depending on how fast they work).  Thanks again, you are awesome!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like that crane has tracks...if so, that is not a crane that assembles tower cranes (from a distance it looked like it was).  I’m starting to believe that this project may not get a tower crane after all.  I’ll be bummed if not.  Hopefully, I’m wrong.  :(

Yes, it has tracks and a wooden platform to roll around on.  I'll post a picture if I see anything looking like a tower crane being assembled.  I had assumed those red pieces were going to be for the tower crane since they were a different color from the crane.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, jbjust said:

Yes, it has tracks and a wooden platform to roll around on.  I'll post a picture if I see anything looking like a tower crane being assembled.  I had assumed those red pieces were going to be for the tower crane since they were a different color from the crane.  

Yeah, I can see where you would think that a tower crane was on its way with the different color crane parts, but it really doesn't sound good for a tower crane at this point when this crane has tracks and a wooden platform to roll on.  I would have never thought there would be enough room on this lot to have anything but a tower crane.  Maybe this crane is just temporary until a point at which a tower crane would be necessary (I'm hoping anyway).  I would have never guessed that the Gladding Residence Tower that VCU built wouldn't require a tower crane either, but it didn't.  I guess stranger things have happened.  Look forward to any photo update you can get.  Maybe with a newer photo I can identify a tower crane pad/base.  I couldn't see everything very well in the last photo you posted.

Excellent!  Okay, what I see is that this crane is placed exactly where the residential portion of this development will go.  My assessment is that this crane is temporary.  It may only be used to work the back portion (side closest to the river), which I believe is going to be a parking structure.  At some point a tower crane has to be brought in and either they have not poured a footer for it yet or the taller trees are blocking my view of it.  This may be a cost-saving measure - it could be that the crane here is cheaper to rent than a tower crane and will use this one until a tower crane is absolutely necessary (which it will be...because there's just no room for a crane that size on this lot at full build out.  Just look at how much space that thing takes up!).  If this is not a cost-saving measure, I'd like to know why they are having to use this crane for now (my hunch is that it's for cost saving - it's usually all about the money).

Thanks for the updated photo!  Keep a good eye on the place and let us know if you see any other crane parts being delivered.  It may be a while as I think they will be working the back part of this development first. 

• Like 1

Yeah I gave the down vote for the proposal; especially the rendering.  No offense intended towards your post.  

...I may need psychiatric help in order to get over this proposal.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 2