The Locks at 321

varunner

11 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

Man, what a debate. Personally while I do think something of that magnitude would stick out, it's the only way we can encourage the slow growth upwards. If people think it sticks out, then the only solution would be to begin building (equally) taller towers. OKC likely will want to do that if they really hate the sore thumb look of Devon. 

Question is, how long will it take to get buildings as tall as the tower we've envisioned?

Just now, blopp1234 said:

Question is, how long will it take to get buildings as tall as the tower we've envisioned?

As long as this [rather half-hearted] bull market holds up. If only the market held up before 08, we would have seen some pretty sizeable projects completed.

I would argue we are still in the very late stages of recovery, so the market is much more guarded against such megaprojects. A project of this magnitude would definitely not have gathered steam if Dominion or any major corporation weren't looking into it. I'm glad though that SunTrust has agreed to anchor 321, that gives incentive to this really aggressive timeline. The mixed use component also helps, the market is much more receptive to residential right now than office.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cltbwimob said:

This building affects the old unused warehouse along 10th street only, correct? It isn't going to require the demolition of the two apartment buildings along 11th St. that are part of the Locks complex is it?

You are correct. The apartment buildings have been renovated and turned into loft apartments called The Locks.  As you said, this tower will only replace the old unused warehouse at 10th and Canal. 

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

You are correct. The apartment buildings have been renovated and turned into loft apartments called The Locks.  As you said, this tower will only replace the old unused warehouse at 10th and Canal. 

Ok.  I wanted to make sure those two buildings weren't going to become casualties of the new tower.  I thought about moving to the Locks when I moved here.  Even though I didn't, I still think those buildings are beautiful and didn't want to see them lost in the name of "progress". 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, eandslee said:

Anyone heard when groundbreaking will be?  It's Spring so to me, it's time to get to work!

I drove by the site last weekend and saw no demolition of the previous warehouse and no construction equipment. Hopefully they get started soon or else they won't meet their due date.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

I drove by the site last weekend and saw no demolition of the previous warehouse and no construction equipment. Hopefully they get started soon or else they won't meet their due date.

And oddly enough, I've heard nothing but crickets regarding this tower since it was first announced. Even the architect was supposed to have more renderings released a long time ago (according to their Facebook page), but never happened.  I'm starting to wonder if this project is running into trouble. I think it is time for Richmondbizsense or who ever else to do some investigating and provide an update.  Like you said, they will never make their projected completion date if they don't get started pronto!

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, drayrichmond said:

I've been hunting around for an answer on this for the last week or so and I haven't been able to find anything, if it is delayed I certainly hope it's for a good reason (maybe adding in more floors?).

I like where you're going with this. Let's hope you're right!  As soon as you find out something, let us know and I'll do the same!

Originally, this was announced as a 21-story tower, but at the Downtown Development Forum the developer said that it would be 23 stories. Perhaps the delay is due to the increased height and additional floors.  Just an idea, nothing confirmed.  I've queried the architect to find out what the holdup is. I'll let you know if they respond. 

• Like 1

All,

I contacted the architect for this project, JDavis Architects, and this is how they responded to my question regarding the status of this project:

"Hi!  We are in fact actively working on this project and we have no other details to provide at this time. Thank you for your continued interest!"

Due to non-disclosure agreements, I'm assuming, is why they didn't elaborate, but it is good news that the project isn't dead yet (which was beginning to worry me).  So, I guess we just sit tight and wait for something to happen. Unless someone wants to try and contact the developer.  Maybe they might be more forthright on this project's current status.

I heard June start for demo, but then I also heard it has been pushed back a year.  I'm not sure which one is accurate (maybe neither), but it is behind schedule and it seems like it would be really hard to deliver the office portion of the building by the end of '17, but what do I know? I haven't heard anything that makes me think the project is at risk so don't get too concerned. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the update Coupe!  A delay of a year would be a bit painful, but maybe that won't be such a bad thing if the design is improved and/or height increased. I've contacted Dominion Realty Partners to see if they would provide an update via email, so we'll see what happens.  I also advocated that the RTD do an update story.  Maybe we can find out what's really going on.  Don't want to know all the gory details, but just want to know when to expect a groundbreaking (although the details as to why it may be delayed would be nice to know).

On 5/21/2016 at 11:12 AM, eandslee said:

Thanks for the update Coupe!  A delay of a year would be a bit painful, but maybe that won't be such a bad thing if the design is improved and/or height increased. I've contacted Dominion Realty Partners to see if they would provide an update via email, so we'll see what happens.  I also advocated that the RTD do an update story.  Maybe we can find out what's really going on.  Don't want to know all the gory details, but just want to know when to expect a groundbreaking (although the details as to why it may be delayed would be nice to know).

Is that your comment requesting updates on the BizSense article?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

Is that your comment requesting updates on the BizSense article?

Yep, that's me.  I was kind of hoping that Richmond Biz Sense would do some investigating and do a follow up on their findings. Hence, the reason for my post. We'll see what happens. 

Edited by eandslee

4 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yep, that's me.  I was kind of hoping the Richmond Biz Sense would do some investigating and do a follow up on their findings. Hence, the reason for my post. We'll see what happens. 

Heh, I was about to respond with your findings then the name jumped out.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Heh, I was about to respond with your findings then the name jumped out.

It's kind of strange that my post made the cut because every other time I've tried to post a comment on that site, it never gets posted. This has renewed my desire to make comments there from time to time. I guess they will publish your post if it's not too controversial. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, TBurban said:

It looks like this project could finally move forward. The brochures say that it will be 23 stories which is taller than we originally thought.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

It looks like this project could finally move forward. The brochures say that it will be 23 stories which is taller than we originally thought.

I wonder if some of the parking levels end up being underground, which will not contribute to the overall height, just the number of levels - could this be the reason for the mixed signals?  Then again, maybe not if it is built the same way Gateway was built (nothing below ground). It just all depends on the buildings foundation and design.  What was encouraging the most to me was to read that groundbreaking will be this year. I certainly hope it starts this summer. Any movement on demo that anyone knows of?