The Locks at 321

varunner

2 hours ago, Blackbird Fly said:

That's going to be between 8th and 9th and Leigh, it is the block directly southeast of the downtown campus of J. Sergeant Reynolds.  

Where BioTech One is located?  Seems like a waste to demo and I do not recall seeing that in any master plans but perhaps they are relocating their facilities into the newly acquired space left by HDL?

14 minutes ago, Icetera said:

Where BioTech One is located?  Seems like a waste to demo and I do not recall seeing that in any master plans but perhaps they are relocating their facilities into the newly acquired space left by HDL?

All of the BioTech buildings are west of 7th street. They will be demolishing a very outdated dorm to make space for the new Allied Health building. I'm not sure how much of the space they currently occupy in BioTech will be consolidated into the new building. My guess is that this building will be mostly classroom space/sim center-type facilities. 

Here are the departments within the school:

Clinical Laboratory Sciences Gerontology
Health Administration Nurse Anesthesia
Occupational Therapy Patient Counseling
Physical Therapy Radiation Sciences
Rehabilitation Counseling Virginia Center on Aging
Ph.D. Program in Health Related Sciences Dean's Office

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Blackbird Fly said:

All of the BioTech buildings are west of 7th street. They will be demolishing a very outdated dorm to make space for the new Allied Health building.

At least Cabaniss Hall will be replaced with something else with height and a great design, which is better than the previous plan of low rise student housing.  I still hate to see a high rise leveled rather than refurbished though.  With exception to BioTech One being just south of Cabaniss, all BioTech buildings are west of 7th.

Edited by Icetera

On 1/23/2016 at 9:20 AM, wrldcoupe4 said:

Not too many:

The parking lot on Grace between 6th and 7th is an awesome opportunity. 

Then there's the half block behind the carpenter center on Broad between 6th and 7th. 

Plus the parking lot on broad between 4th and 5th. 

Hopefully at at some point some of the smaller parking decks along Cary can be redeveloped. 

Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but what say you about the lot bound by Canal and the Downtown Expressway between 10th and 12th? Looks like it's two parcels owned by the RMA and James Center Parking LLC. Could be a great development opportunity. I think I remember someone mentioning a parking garage for that site for the James Center at some point down the road, but what a missed opportunity if it's not something more vertical with mixed-uses. The potential exposure that site has from the expressways are worth its weight in gold.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TBurban said:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but what say you about the lot bound by Canal and the Downtown Expressway between 10th and 12th? Looks like it's two parcels owned by the RMA and James Center Parking LLC. Could be a great development opportunity. I think I remember someone mentioning a parking garage for that site for the James Center at some point down the road, but what a missed opportunity if it's not something more vertical with mixed-uses. The potential exposure that site has from the expressways are worth its weight in gold.

This is what we were talking about earlier (the pentagon parking lot in front of James Center III).  You are correct though.  Perfect place for a high profile building!

6 minutes ago, eandslee said:

This is what we were talking about earlier (the pentagon parking lot in front of James Center III).  You are correct though.  Perfect place for a high profile building!

My apologies - I see it now. Hard to keep up with all of the conversations going on with all the activity on the boards in the last week! Not complaining whatsoever - all good news!

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, TBurban said:

My apologies - I see it now. Hard to keep up with all of the conversations going on with all the activity on the boards in the last week! Not complaining whatsoever - all good news!

I was actually about to post the same thing.  I love all the activity on the board.  I am less envious of the Carolina boards. :):) 

• Like 1

On January 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM, wrldcoupe4 said:

Not too many:

The parking lot on Grace between 6th and 7th is an awesome opportunity. 

Then there's the half block behind the carpenter center on Broad between 6th and 7th. 

Plus the parking lot on broad between 4th and 5th. 

Hopefully at at some point some of the smaller parking decks along Cary can be redeveloped. 

There are also multiple spots on canal and Cary that could house high rises.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

This may seem stupid but which block was that?

Interesting. What's more peculiar is that Thalhimer is marketing the former site (PDF) on Main between 5th and 6th as a "Historic renovation project; The Centennial Towers to include 160 new apartment units; Rare Downtown restaurant opportunity". Last updated sometime in 2015.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TBurban said:

Interesting. What's more peculiar is that Thalhimer is marketing the former site (PDF) on Main between 5th and 6th as a "Historic renovation project; The Centennial Towers to include 160 new apartment units; Rare Downtown restaurant opportunity". Last updated sometime in 2015.

Oh Centenial tower!! I know they cancelled it but could another developer resurrect the project? Would some developer resurrect the project seeing how the economy is doing well and they just announced another mixed use tower?

Edited by blopp1234
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Oh Centenial tower!! I know they cancelled it but could another developer resurrect the project?

Not to stray too far off-topic but we may be onto something. If I can remember correctly, it may have already been mentioned in a RichmondBizsense article a while back, but it looks like once the historic building at the corner of 6th and Main is reno'd and leased up (delivery Feb 2016), Goodstein Development is looking to build "A future development of 500 block between 5th and 6th Streets in the heart of downtown Richmond, VA. There will be 2 mid-rise luxury rental buildings to include on-site parking, gym & rooftop deck."

Edited by TBurban
  • Like 2

Another high rise project not mentioned is the height increase of Three James Center.

Will the actual tower be right at the corner of 10th and Byrd?  What will be the orientation of 321?  Trying to get an idea of how this development will sit in the skyline.

Edited by Shakman

19 minutes ago, Shakman said:

Another high rise project not mentioned is the height increase of Three James Center.

Will the actual tower be right at the corner of 10th and Byrd?  What will be the orientation of 321?  Trying to get an idea of how this development will sit in the skyline.

Are you going to photoshop the new tower into the current skyline?  Love it when people do this...if anyone out there can and knows how to do this, please do it and post it here!

My understanding is that the taller part of the tower will run along side of 10th and not Byrd (essentially the same direction/orientation as Riverfront Plaza).

• Like 1

Here is a quote from our "James Center Expansion" thread back in 2006: 

The dynamics of the area are changing," he said.

His plans for the James Center, which include adding 700,000 to 1 million square feet of space:

# Add 12 stories to the 14-story Three James Center.

"It was built structurally to handle that. It has elevator shafts and everything ready to go," he said.

If a tenant can be found, the addition could be done in two years.

One tenant could be MeadWestvaco Corp., the packaging and paper company that is relocating its corporate headquarters to the area this year. "We have chatted with them and we are chatting with them," Jerome said.

# Turn a surface parking lot between state Route 195 and Canal Street into a 20-story office tower with 300,000 square feet.

# Build an office building of up to a 26 stories on land where there is a pedestrian plaza at 10th and Cary streets, basically in front of 22-story Two James Center. The new building could have 400,000 square feet to 450,000 square feet.

"This is a long term project," he said of his plans. "I would say it would take three to six years to do all of the development."

The 21-story One James Center was completed in 1985. The other buildings opened in 1987.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is interesting, I have never heard of this. I am very interested to see architectural renderings of adding 12 floors to 3 James Center. 

Edited by Blackbird Fly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Blackbird Fly said:

Here is a quote from our "James Center Expansion" thread back in 2006: 

The dynamics of the area are changing," he said.

His plans for the James Center, which include adding 700,000 to 1 million square feet of space:

# Add 12 stories to the 14-story Three James Center.

"It was built structurally to handle that. It has elevator shafts and everything ready to go," he said.

If a tenant can be found, the addition could be done in two years.

One tenant could be MeadWestvaco Corp., the packaging and paper company that is relocating its corporate headquarters to the area this year. "We have chatted with them and we are chatting with them," Jerome said.

# Turn a surface parking lot between state Route 195 and Canal Street into a 20-story office tower with 300,000 square feet.

# Build an office building of up to a 26 stories on land where there is a pedestrian plaza at 10th and Cary streets, basically in front of 22-story Two James Center. The new building could have 400,000 square feet to 450,000 square feet.

"This is a long term project," he said of his plans. "I would say it would take three to six years to do all of the development."

The 21-story One James Center was completed in 1985. The other buildings opened in 1987.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is interesting, I have never heard of this. I am very interested to see architectural renderings of adding 12 floors to 3 James Center. 

Is this expansion just going to be three James Center or will it be the whole James Center Complex?

Edited by blopp1234

25 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

We at one time had a rendering on here of the expansion of three james center but that was about it. I've been trying to find the image but I think it has since long ago been deleted and done away with unfortunately. 

I have looked on the internet and still can't find any renderings, if anyone finds any, please post them.

Yeah I like I was saying whoever had the rendering made I think it has been long gone for a while now. At one time there was an online brochure with rendering done and it had cbre on it. I guess maybe cbre was gonna be the one that handled leasing space for it if it had been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think the rendering that you speak of was on Richmondcitywatch.com...on the forum that once existed there.  Ryan has since done away with the forum and now his page is just informational. He posts photos from time to time, but I wonder if he might have a copy.  Someone photoshopped it - it looked pretty good and remember it well. 

4 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

This is the best image I could find from the James Center Expansion thread. The tall building to the very right of the photo is the expanded 3 james center.

JamesCenter_.jpg

This actually isn't too bad - you get a slight idea of its potential size. 

12 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I think the rendering that you speak of was on Richmondcitywatch.com...on the forum that once existed there.  Ryan has since done away with the forum and now his page is just informational. He posts photos from time to time, but I wonder if he might have a copy.  Someone photoshopped it - it looked pretty good and remember it well. 

This actually isn't too bad - you get a slight idea of its potential size. 

Love the height!! Would this be taller than the Current suntrust building?