The Locks at 321

varunner

50 minutes ago, jbjust said:

It looks like a near clone of Gateway Plaza in some respects. 

That was my first thought when I originally saw the rendering. I really don't like the look because it looks so much like Gateway.  I wish they would redesign it so that it looked a little more unique. 

Come on Coupe, you gotta find that rendering! 

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

I heard that things should hear up this summer. 

Do you know what the issue was/is?  What is to be cleared up?  The only thing I can think of is that there has been a descrepancy on the height of the building. The original report said that it would be 21 stories, but at the Downtown Development Forum, the developer said 23 stories.  Not sure if that's the big hang up though. 

Edited by eandslee

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you guys had any doubts about this getting built, maybe this will help ease them, article about the current SunTrust tower; main take away, they are preparing for SunTrusts "pending departure" and are planning on doing improvements in the tower once they vacate. 

http://richmondbizsense.com/2016/08/02/suntrust-center-riverfront-plaza-get-a-jolt/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hikendesign said:

saw that too, kind of sighed a bit of relief.  Had looked at the architects website and see it still there so felt ok but no sign of anything at the construction site had me wonder if this one might disappear.

Maybe their trying to lease a certain amount of apartments before they decide to build. Anyway, glad to see that this tower is definantely gonna be built!

25 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

Maybe their trying to lease a certain amount of apartments before they decide to build. Anyway, glad to see that this tower is definantely gonna be built!

Maybe, but have you seen any ads anywhere for the lease of the residential units?  I haven't seen a thing. If fact, it's hard to find any information on this tower except for the announcement that it's planned to be built.  I sure hope something gets moving on the site soon!

54 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

They are not actively marketing apartments or additional commercial space at this time. Honestly, it's early to start marketing the apartments.

Buried about 2/3 of the way down this article is a line that says Fountainhead Development plans to close the sale of the 321 property to Dominion Realty Partners in September to build this high-rise.  I would have assumed that was already done, but it at least offers a little insight into the delay we're seeing and (maybe?) some insight into when it may start...

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, benstyree said:

Buried about 2/3 of the way down this article is a line that says Fountainhead Development plans to close the sale of the 321 property to Dominion Realty Partners in September to build this high-rise.  I would have assumed that was already done, but it at least offers a little insight into the delay we're seeing and (maybe?) some insight into when it may start...

yeah it sounds like it's been held up in some corporate maneuvering and negotiations; disappointed that it's been held up over this, but hopefully since this is closing they'll start on something soon!

Edited by drayrichmond
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't be too concerned with the rendering where it depicts the Locks as shorter than Riverfront Plaza. It looks like an earlier concept than the one we're familiar with. I really REALLY hope they activate the frontage along the Canal Walk. What a missed opportunity if that goes overlooked. 

1 hour ago, TBurban said:

I wouldn't be too concerned with the rendering where it depicts the Locks as shorter than Riverfront Plaza. It looks like an earlier concept than the one we're familiar with. I really REALLY hope they activate the frontage along the Canal Walk. What a missed opportunity if that goes overlooked. 

I haven't seen anything that shows any activation along the Canal. The retail brochure only markets space at 10th and Canal.

4 minutes ago, hikendesign said:

The panels being used to conceal parking above ground create huge walls along the adjacent street where these align with them.  Drive by the new Gateway plaza on 8th street, this is one way - Dominion on your right and the panels on your left to conceal the parking - an entire block that is a huge monolithic wall and not very pedestrian friendly - is this going to happen at 321 as well?

3twenty-one_Bldg.jpg

Yes, looks like it. 10th Street is and will remain lame for pedestrians.