Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RALNATIVE

Wegmans coming to Cary

8 posts in this topic

Never been to Wegmans before. How does it differ from other grocery stores like Harris Teeter, Publix, and Whole Foods?

Biggest thing is size. Average Wegmans is 125,000 SF, comparable to Walmart or Costco. Teeter and Publix are both around 50k. 

Comparing Wegmans to these other supermarkets in the area is like comparing a Ritz Carlton to a Radisson.

Edited by RALNATIVE

The biggest differentiator is size. It's honestly a bit overwhelming -- each of the departments (deli, dairy, produce) is larger, the prepared foods area rivals a mall food court, the "natural foods" subsection is itself the size of a Trader Joe's. There's also substantially more floorspace for household goods, like kitchen gadgets. Beyond the mind-numbing selection, prices are competitive, service is pleasant, and quality/freshness are excellent.

One downside of this arrangement is that any one item could be in a few different places on the three-acre floor. It's not really conducive to a quick trip, except for produce or a hot-bar lunch. Their nearest distribution center is in central Pennsylvania, so I could also see how freshness might suffer a tiny bit if Cary remains the last point on their distribution runs.

Especially since I've never seen it done for actual food deserts. I wonder how they justify this beyond upping their "foodie" cache.