Atlanta Photo of the Day

Nice shot, IC, welcome back!!! :thumbsup: You may want to resize your photos slightly (I think your camera is set to capture images at 1024 x 768) so they will fit the page a little better.

That's actually the site I host them on that gives me the option to change the size. That one is the standard size (1024 x 768 pixels) for that size of picture (the camera I took it with is 4 megapixels total). I'll go change it.

That's actually the site I host them on that gives me the option to change the size. That one is the standard size (1024 x 768 pixels) for that size of picture (the camera I took it with is 4 megapixels total). I'll go change it.
I'm not complaining, of course, I think it's just the left hand border where our names are that keeps full size images from fitting. I've been experimenting a little and have found that a width of about 550 pixels works pretty well.

I'm not complaining, of course, I think it's just the left hand border where our names are that keeps full size images from fitting. I've been experimenting a little and have found that a width of about 550 pixels works pretty well.

I didn't think you were complaining, but I figured I would change it anyway. It's now 500 x 375. That's the "Medium" size.

Cool avatar, BTW. That's a cute cat!

I didn't think you were complaining, but I figured I would change it anyway. It's now 500 x 375. That's the "Medium" size.

Cool avatar, BTW. That's a cute cat!

What kind of camera did you get? I've got a Canon S2IS, which is 5 megapixels, and it has one hell of a zoom on it! I went to a Georgia tech game back in September when they were playing North Carolina (yeah!), anway I was taking pictures and I zoomed up on the Coca-Cola building and could count the bricks and look into people's windows and see some items of theirs! Really impressive! Like the one you took of the new ATL slogan.

^Nice pictures everyone!

I have been gone for a few days so I missed the pictures.

Glad you are liking your camera, IC. That last picture of yours looked great!

I managed to take around 150 pictures on my trip up to SW Arkansas, and I am really starting to get comforatable with the Canon S2IS. Though I still dont know how to get good night shots. The lights just become big blurs, even if I have a fast shutter speed and am standing completely still. :wacko:

I managed to take around 150 pictures on my trip up to SW Arkansas, and I am really starting to get comforatable with the Canon S2IS. Though I still dont know how to get good night shots. The lights just become big blurs, even if I have a fast shutter speed and am standing completely still. :wacko:

Have you bought a tripod yet, NCB? I bought one before I went to Savannah. Believe me, it helped tremendously. :)

^^^I'm not an expert, but I always thought for night shots that a slower shutter speed makes for a quality picture.

Depends on how much light is in the picture. If there is very little light in the picture, slow shutter speeds are by all means recommended for the best possible picture. If you are taking a night shot that has a lot of light in it (say a city skyline), then slow shutter speeds (like that used for the pics with little light) are not necessarily as useful and may lead to the blurring of light sources and/or overexposure of the shot.

Nope.

I haven't been able to purchase one. :(

I guess I really need to look into a tripod.

You really should :)

Cheap tripods start at about $15. A really good tripod for amateurs will run you $60+. Personally, I'd look to be spending about $30-35 ($30 is how much mine cost) for a quality one that does its job.

Try anywhere from photography stores like Ritz Camera and Wolf Camera to department stores like Wal-marts (:o) and Targets. (I bought mine at Target)

Hope that helps :)

Edited by ironchapman

So exactly what are the preferred settings for the average night-time skyline shot?

Depends on how much light there is. If it's very well lit (like, say NY or Chicago on a good night), you don't need long exposure, the daytime setting will work fine. I can't really give you the precise amount of seconds or anything for long exposure because I don't really know. I'm just lucky enough to have a camera that automatically adjusts to open the shutter long enough to get each exposure just right. About a second usually is how long my camera is open.

Be sure to check out the GA forum for my Savannah Pics! :)

Edited by ironchapman

Thanks both of you. I had a little fun in Atlanta yesterday. Coming back from Michigan, I stopped over and visited with some family on the way back home. One thing I liked most about this picture was the little piece of road I was able to capture with the skyline. It all goes very well together. Atlanta is well put together, the city looks great.