Atlanta Photo of the Day

^I really like that last shot.

Me too. Did you take those yourself, Hotlanta?

As for me, here is my contribution.

Pigeons' Delight:

Atlanta's very own Flatiron

81851865_493cd5d7d7_b.jpg

If I ever post my Fairlie-Poplar pics thread, it'll be in there, too. :)

Edited by ironchapman

Actually I did take some of those. The one with the old highway sign, the one with haze in the background, and the first pic are ones I did not take. The rest I did take (including the one most of you like). By the way I like your new avatar and the pic you took, IC.......it looks so San Francisco! The last one ever posted by me was actually taken by my old Palm handheld before I switched to a regular digital camera and camera phone.

Edited by Hotlanta

Eric, love your construction photos! I really like footings, columns and drains set. They are what makes everything else happen.

Hotlanta, cool freeway pictures, too. I am personally no fan Atlanta's freeways, but they are one of the city's defining features and you have certainly captured them.

IC, your shot of the birds hanging out on the cornices of the Flatiron is terrific. They probably figure that building was built expressly for their convenience.

A tip of the tiara to our excellent photographers!

IC, your shot of the birds hanging out on the cornices of the Flatiron is terrific. They probably figure that building was built expressly for their convenience.

I know. They practically covered the top of the building. I wonder if a lot of people feed them in Woodruff Park or something.

BTW: Great pics, Newnan Eric! It's great to see progress is being made on the condos.

@Hotlanta: I figured it was time for an avatar change, especially with the Thrashers doing so great in the NHL (finally a sport for me to watch with football over where Atlanta doesn't get trampled.)

Edited by ironchapman

Nice shots, Andrea and IC! :thumbsup:

Now that I think about it, is there a city anywhere in the country that doesn't have a street named "broad"? :lol:

^Probably not, NCB. ;) Usually, Broad Street got its name because it was a main thoroughfare through the city, so it would be wider than most...hence the name "Broad".

It's kind of like how they say each state has Greenville. At least one of these cities (SC's) has actualy become somewhat famous.

An oldie but still a handsome building, in my opinion.

gp3.jpg

I have always admired the facade of the GP building. How did they get the granite, window mullions, and glazing so flush. I mean the whole side of the bulding gleams as though it was a polished smooth surface. It is truly impressive. (And I speak from experience.)

I have always admired the facade of the GP building. How did they get the granite, window mullions, and glazing so flush. I mean the whole side of the bulding gleams as though it was a polished smooth surface. It is truly impressive. (And I speak from experience.)

It really is striking, Eric. I happen to know someone whose family was involved with the stonework on this building and it was a huge project, with many skilled craftsmen involved. Just to get a feel for the scope of this thing, it's roughly twice the size of the 1180 Peachtree building. Quite a monumental structure.

IC, I used Majestic Shoe back in the 1970's -- it's probably one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in the downtown area. Right around the corner on Forsyth was Royal Tobacco, which I believe dated back to the 1890's. My boss used to send me down there to pick up tobacco for him. (If I'm not mistaken the sign is still hanging there, although pretty severely rusted out).

There's an interesting article by John Schaffner of The Story on what downtown used to be like in the 1970's and 80's, and you've probably heard me express many of the same sentiments. Like him, I believe there are still possibilities.