Atlanta Photo of the Day

I've seen the light! I finally was downtown long enough to see 1180's fins lit but my camera decided to fail me again and not power on :angry: (it's getting returned tomorrow). I did have my cellphone handy...

227c0hk.jpg227b8rz.jpg

227d3hc.jpg227a2qn.jpg

227e3ts.jpg227h7tg.jpg

Aha! So the fins finally decide to show themselves! Thanks for posting the pics, Hybrid! The fins look great at night.

Speaking of Georgia Tech, why is Georgia State's housing pretty much on Tech's campus when State is all the way on the other side of town? I heard those buildings were used to house the '96 Olympic atheletes? I guess State just worked out some kind of sweet deal on the buildings? I was checking out these two schools last week (starting to think about grad school) and thought this was kind of strange. I guess State students get a free MARTA pass?

dscf35979vi.jpg

dscf35528kc.jpg

I lived a short while in the GSU dorm in '96 & yes, GSU got a sweet deal. Since GSU never had dorms, this was their first foray into student housing. Wasn't the best place I've lived, bad layout but I did get a MARTA card & was also a short bike ride to GSU.

GSU has been trying to ditch them, but Georgia Tech nor anyone else wants them.

State has been trying to sell these to Tech for a while now but the foundations these buildings rest upon are awful and deteriorating (from what I hear), so naturally Tech doesn't want anything to do with it.

Yeah thats what I hear. The buildings are apparently slowly sinking into the ground and Tech doesn't want to have to deal with the millions of dollars in repairs its going to cost to fix the foundation. They were actually offered to Tech right after the Olympic games but at the time Tech had plenty of on campus housing and didn't need all that extra space. Now Tech could use the space but i think they'd rather just spend the money and build their own new dorms with no foundation problems.

Edited by GaTechGuy

Exactly. I think a perfect spot for some new housing would be the entire northeast block of tech square at Spring and 5th st. Tech actually owns the block, at least that's what the midtown alliance told me, so I think it would be great if they made a mid-rise about 10 stories or so for the management kids. Not only would it add a ton to tech square in general, but it would allieve a lot of the overcrowded trolley rides from atlantic drive to tech square. Plus, just think if they put a best buy on the first two floors or something to add more street retail. God that would be awesome.

If you put all of us MGT kids on one side of 75/85, there would be ZERO girls too look at for the rest of you. :D

Tech really doesnt have a shortage of housing now. I got waitlisted for the fall last year and had hosuing before school started. There were 300 people on the wait list and everyone got it.