Atlanta Photo of the Day

Atlanta may need more foot traffic on its streets, but not to the level of NYC. I wouldn't want hundreds of thousands of people stepping on the back of my heels when I'm trying to take my own time getting where I'm going.

Also, I've haven't been to DC yet, but I really need to go in order to see the street activity that so many people speak of. DC is never really shown beyond the capitol on television.

Atlanta may need more foot traffic on its streets, but not to the level of NYC. I wouldn't want hundreds of thousands of people stepping on the back of my heels when I'm trying to take my own time getting where I'm going.

Hammett, I don't think we're in danger of that anytime soon.

IC, I'm not rushing to call downtown a dismal situation. I love downtown dearly -- to me it will always be the emotional heart of our city. I'm probably just comparing it to the way things were 25 or 30 years ago. Hopefully some of that pizzazz will come back.

Here are some of my latest:

Terminus and Realm in Buckhead:

100_3814.jpg

100_3813.jpg

100_3816.jpg

100_3815.jpg

I can't believe how fast Terminus is going up!

Sembler's Lindbergh development:

100_3819.jpg

100_3822.jpg

Here is the lot for the Townhomes that will face Piedmont

100_3818.jpg

While the design is NOT proper urbanism, at least it is better than what was there before. Look! They even are putting retail on the back side of the Home Depot:

100_3823.jpg

100_3824.jpg

Lindbergh Center:

100_3820.jpg

100_3827.jpg

Are they going to fill up all of the lots facing Piedmont? If they continue past the Longhorn and Chilli's,this could look OK.

100_3829.jpg

100_3828.jpg

This corridor still needs a lot of work though.

100_3830.jpg

This one seems to be unusually popular in my Flickr (see my sig for a link to it). It's a picture of the Downtown Connector from the Varsity parking lot (we eat there usually when we are in Atlanta, so that's why a lot of my pics are from the areas around the Varsity).

The Downtown Connector on a Sunday Afternoon

105019600_5667ed54a9_b.jpg

Edited by ironchapman

Does anyone have any pictures of the freeways in Atlanta? When I visit I always notice how wide the freeways are. I remember 285 having 14 lanes and still being clogged. How does Atlanta have such bad traffic and such wide freeways? Even cities that are comprable in size dont have nearly the congestion.

Anyways, I think the wide freeways are cool when they are moving and I would like to see more pictures of them.

I was going to make a photo thread about this, but I don't have time to for now. I'll be in Nashville for the next few days (yes, I'll be taking pics there. Keep a look out for them ;) ).

Anyways, here's my entry for today:

Centennial Olympic Park's Fountains Set Against the Skyline

122069383_16b9ca2af2_b.jpg

Edited by ironchapman

Here's my addition for today:

Columns from Atlanta's Original Equitable Building:

Nice, Irony! You know my affinity for the Equitable.

I'm really not positive but I think the original Equitable Building was on the other side of Woodruff Park, where the SunTrust Tower is now. It seems like they used to have some columns from the original building out front as well. The present Equitable Building, I think, sits where something called the Piedmont Hotel used to be.

But this was all before my time, if you can believe that! :lol:

It does, but the freeways usually dont have as many main lanes. I was amazed at how many cars there were in so many lanes.

Houston's freeways are actually the same size if not bigger than Atlanta's. Houston just separates its HOV lanes from the freeway, and also has feeder roads. And unlike Atlanta with just 285, Houston has 610 & beltway 8.

Here is an old picture of a Houston freeway:

59_chimney_rock.jpg

And in this old photo of a Houston freeway you can see that the HOV lanes are separate and the infamus Texas feeder roads on the side of the freeway.

59s_at_westpark_sb_from_hov_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

Houston's freeways are actually the same size if not bigger than Atlanta's. Houston just separates its HOV lanes from the freeway, and also has feeder roads. And unlike Atlanta with just 285, Houston has 610 & beltway 8.

Here is an old picture of a Houston freeway:

59_chimney_rock.jpg

And in this old photo of a Houston freeway you can see that the HOV lanes are separate and the infamus Texas feeder roads on the side of the freeway.

59s_at_westpark_sb_from_hov_8-sept-2001_lres.jpg

It's nothing to be proud of but I dont think Houston has bigger freeways:

atl8lanes1gd.jpg

Wow. Terminus is just a total monster of a building. Great pics, Eric! Thanks for sharing.

I hate the shopping center in Buckhead with The Container Store. It's such an ugly suburban center on such a prominent corner. I'd like to see a new urban development there. The Container Store is a great place, I just hate the center!