Atlanta Photo of the Day

They're probably there because Woodruff Park is a huge food source for them. Many of the surrounding buildings have installed anti-pigeon devices such as spike strips on window ledges. As a result, the Flatiron building becomes the place for them the hangout between meals down at the park.

^Very nice, Martinman! I think that's one of those views you could use for an Atlanta "now and then" picture comparison. I wonder what that view looked like 30 years ago, compared to now.

It actually might not be all that different. BOA, the SunTrust Tower and 191 Peachtree are the three major addditions, and they go back approximately 15 years. Other than that, most of what you see on the downtown skyline is from the 1970's.

I'm not so sure about that going back 30 years would get rid of a lot of those buildings in that view. Here are a few dates.

The Omni - 2003

BOA - 1992

Suntrust - 1992

191 - 1990

Marquis II (Peachtree Center) - 1989

Marriott Marquis - 1985

Marquis I (Peachtree center) - 1985

GA Pacific - 1981

Bellsouth - 1980

Coca-Cola Plaza - 1980

I'd say that's a big chunk of that view. Actually 30 years ago the Westin was just being finished... a lot has changed since then.

From that picture, I can tell you what I thinks gonna happen to Homepark: INFILL HOUSING, McMansions. Not bad mind you, but its coming.

There are already some McMansions built in the neighborhood where bungalows have been razed. Given the condition that a lot of those houses are in from being student rentals for so long, there will probably be more to come, unfortunately.

I've seen a number of mcmansions - though not overwhelmingly huge - in Home Park. Fortunately the city makes it very difficult to impossible for anyone to merge two parcels into one - so any home has to conform to the parcel boundary. In Home Park's case, all the parcels are rather small...

But in all honesty - there aren't many bungalows worth salvaging in Home Park, they were mostly built quickly & cheaply to house the steel mill workers - not built to last. Besides, as mentioned - GA Tech students have had their way with many of them...

Edited by teshadoh

....or their landords. We tried buying a house in Home Park, but many houses were so devalued by "modifications": additions put on with regard to cramming in bodies rather than aesthetics, bricked up fireplaces, exterior exits put on all bedrooms, etc. The sellers were obviously banking on the presence of Atlantic Station to jack up the prices, even though Atlantic Station is not particularly easily accessible from the neighborhood.

^ You're right - I've seen those too, there are a lot of frankensteined houses in Home Park.

Home Park is in the same boat as Old Fourth Ward (north of Freedom Pkwy) now probably - neighborhoods that are sketchy or not that great. But the land value is astronomical, prohibiting most people from buying anything.

But in all honesty - there aren't many bungalows worth salvaging in Home Park, they were mostly built quickly & cheaply to house the steel mill workers - not built to last. Besides, as mentioned - GA Tech students have had their way with many of them...

Yeah I've been to a few parties in Homepark ans thr students have done a bit of redecorating, if you will.

^Very nice, Martinman! I think that's one of those views you could use for an Atlanta "now and then" picture comparison. I wonder what that view looked like 30 years ago, compared to now.

Well lets take a look

JFSATLBLDR posted these on another forum a while back

0011973.jpg

03-24-06004.jpg

Edited by Martinman

Far out - labtec is now posting here. Thanks for bringing up JFSATLBLDR's work.

And I hate bringing up a tired old arguement - but if Midtown had not been already developed 80+ years prior to 1973, I would have sworn it was an edge city. 30+ years shows an incredible transformation.

And I hate bringing up a tired old arguement - but if Midtown had not been already developed 80+ years prior to 1973, I would have sworn it was an edge city. 30+ years shows an incredible transformation.

I think the vast majority of the change has been even more recent than that -- like maybe 20 years or less. Other than Colony Square, the first major office building in Midtown was One Atlantic Center, and that came along around 1987-88.

I think the vast majority of the change has been even more recent than that -- like maybe 20 years or less. Other than Colony Square, the first major office building in Midtown was One Atlantic Center, and that came along around 1987-88.

No doubt...

Here are some cell phone pictures, not every day you get to attend a wedding in a cemetary, no less a lesbian wedding. These are from Oakland Cemetary, across the street from the now-wedded, Ria's diner on Memorial Dr:

05_07_06_1556.jpg

05_07_06_1557.jpg

The 'Selmonaires' providing wedding music...

05_07_06_1558.jpg

The 'groom' & the 'reverend'...

05_07_06_1605.jpg

And the bride...

05_07_06_1607.jpg

Edited by teshadoh

Jim is hardly a preacher in the theological sense, he was in the 90's band LaBrea Stompers & has since been in a variety of acts such as Greasepaint. But lately he's been featured in a few videos by the local & internationally touring metal band Mastadon - who were to perform at Ria's party but had a paying gig at the last minute. Otherwise - get a beer at the Star Bar & you might see him, he owns the place.

Otherwise - get a beer at the Star Bar & you might see him, he owns the place.

Ah, I knew I'd seen him around town. The Star Bar is one of my favorite places. I had a friend visiting from New Zealand back about 1995 and I took him over there one night, and to this day he asks if the Elvis shrine is still intact.

:lol:

Edited by Andrea