Atlanta Photo of the Day

I'm posting these on a slightly different note. Yes, it's exciting to see fabulous new buildings popping up all over town.

But I don't think we can ignore the fact that only blocks away the city is suffering from severe problems. We can't close our eyes or pretend these conditions don't exist. They're part of the urban fabric, too. A city is a collective entity, and all of its parts are interdependent. Just like the human body, an illness or disease in one part affects the entire being. Until ALL of our city is healthy, we cannot pronounce our community healthy, thriving or sustainable.

Urban%20Decay.jpg

Abandoned%20School.jpg

Evicted.jpg

bummer

Yep. One of the main reasons the Atlanta area is dominated by its suburbs rather than the City of Atlanta is the fact that the burbs do a much better job of avoiding these gross economic and social disparities. Unless that's rectified the suburbs will probably continue to hold the upper hand.

^Indeed it must be.

I'm posting these on a slightly different note. Yes, it's exciting to see fabulous new buildings popping up all over town.

But I don't think we can ignore the fact that only blocks away the city is suffering from severe problems. We can't close our eyes or pretend these conditions don't exist. They're part of the urban fabric, too. A city is a collective entity, and all of its parts are interdependent. Just like the human body, an illness or disease in one part affects the entire being.

You know, in some sort of twisted way, I like pics of urban decay. It's just so fascinating to me. Great work.

Until ALL of our city is healthy, we cannot pronounce our community healthy, thriving or sustainable.

That'll be a while.

Oh you bet, but I imagine the view from one of those things is amazing! :D

^^True! Can you imagine being up there in the middle of one of those big thunderstorms we've been having lately? :w00t:

^IC, thanks for the kind words. I snapped those while walking around in Mechanicsville one morning. While there's a way to go, there are actually many good things going on there, too. Check their website for a lot of great history http://www.mechanicsville.org/

Edited by Andrea

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, admit it, Hybrid, you were on your way to Atlantic Station to party.

By the way, I was looking at those aerial shots Martinman posted up above, and I was struck by what a terrific development parcel those parking lots out in front of Lenox Square are. That would be perfect for a midrise mixed use development.

Lenox.jpg

Okay, admit it, Hybrid, you were on your way to Atlantic Station to party.

By the way, I was looking at those aerial shots Martinman posted up above, and I was struck by what a terrific development parcel those parking lots out in front of Lenox Square are. That would be perfect for a midrise mixed use development.

Andrea great minds think alike. :D

I had the same thought when I saw those pics. But the way things are in Buckhead these days, its unlikely they would be midrise.

Edited by Martinman

Andrea great minds think alike. :D

I had the same thought when I saw those pics. But the way things are in Buckhead these days, its unlikely they would be midrise.

MM, you're probably right. I'm partial to midrise buildings but I don't know enough about the real estate business to know whether they'd be feasible there. It would sure add to the connectivity of the area if there was new street right in front of the mall, and a new street off of Peachtree where the front driveway is now.

Lizella, that is very interesting! It looks like there's a big creek in that gulch running though the middle of town. I wonder if there are any remnants of the bridge over that stream?

Funny you should ask Andrea. Here is a project that GT is implementing in parts all through out campus. The creek was made part of the ATL sewer system. Well in a few years it'll be a nature preserve on campus with the creek running through again. On GT's west campus, you can still see where the creek runs because when it rains it creates a steady torrent of water that follows the original creek path.

Eco_commons

Heres another link about the Eco-Commons that explains the topology of old Atlanta and new Atlanta and how it will make the Eco-Commons.

Transforming campus.

Hybrid, the Connector would be right about where the paragraph on 'The Flats' is. The street directly in front of Tech Tower is North Avenue. The diagonal running street on the left side of the map is Hemphill, which still runs through today. It looks like they started carving a new part of the city grid just above North Avenue, it looks to be the approximate location of 5th street today.

• 2 weeks later...

Good work, Hybrid! I like the one you did of Kennesaw Mountain.

GT1892aerial.gif

Heres a very interesting perspective of Atlanta circa 1892. It would be weird to look out my dorm room right now and see a farm behind it.

I always find these historical maps like this especially intersting. It's so hard to imagine a farm anywhere near Tech, much less a forested, almost suburban residential area like you'd fidn in the early 1900's!

Thanks for posting it!

When I get those shots of the GA State Capital uploaded onto my computer, I'll have to post them for you guys!

Edited by ironchapman