Atlanta Photo of the Day

Two shots from my trip to Atlanta during the last weekend. I did quite a bit of walking that day,I walked all the way from Underground Atlanta to Midtown and stopped at the varsity and then took MARTA back to my hotel in Buckhead. I didn't think the walkability of Atlanta was that bad, but maybe I'm just dumb. :)

post-1768-1123726706_thumb.jpg

I found this esclator in a MARTA station to be rather impressive, it was kind of freaky looking down from the top of this beast. I would hate to ride it down.

post-1768-1123726731_thumb.jpg

A nice little skyline shot of Midtown from a somewhat close angle. I was not taking the pictures so I really didn't come out with any great shots, but oh well.

Edited by moonshield

The walkability of Atlanta is very easy. You should have walked to Atlantic Station as well. I know it was probably too hot though. I hope your visit to Atlanta was pleasurable. Come back again and again. We are glad to have had you amongst us.

As far as that escalator....it is in the Peachtree Center Marta station. That is the deepest underground Marta Station. I've gone down it but I usually look to the side. The incline makes my head swoon.

Whick marta station did you get off on in Buckhead? How did you find the walkability of Buckhead?

Two shots from my trip to Atlanta during the last weekend. I did quite a bit of walking that day,I walked all the way from Underground Atlanta to Midtown and stopped at the varsity and then took MARTA back to my hotel in Buckhead. I didn't think the walkability of Atlanta was that bad, but maybe I'm just dumb. :)

post-1768-1123726706_thumb.jpg

I found this esclator in a MARTA station to be rather impressive, it was kind of freaky looking down from the top of this beast. I would hate to ride it down.

post-1768-1123726731_thumb.jpg

A nice little skyline shot of Midtown from a somewhat close angle. I was not taking the pictures so I really didn't come out with any great shots, but oh well.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some nice pics. Peachtree Center Station's escalator is scary if you're not used ot it.

I've always found that walking through the city is much easier than driving through it.

What did you think of your trip? Were you impressed, disappointed, what?

Edited by ironchapman

I actually found Buckhead to be reasonably walkable, more so then I would have thought by hearing about it on these boards. The traffic was not that bad (I was not fearing for my life when crossing the roads) but that could have just been the days I was there. I found the traffic to be much worse when I got home on South Blvd, then on Peachtree. :)

The station I got off at in Buckhead was the Buckhead station. I thought MARTA was quite impressive and efficient for the tourist like myself, if I lived in Atlanta in one of the more urban areas I would surely not need an automobile.

In regards to Atlantic Station, I actually looked for Atlantic Station but was looking on the wrong side of the 17th street :) and I was getting somewhat tired.

My only issue with Atlanta was the graffiti that was spread along some of the walls and buildings on the sides of the MARTA tracks, but I am sure that is the case in any major city (I very rarely see large scale graffiti in Charlotte), there was also a good deal of decay in an area that seemed like a China town, but I am sure some people like that.

This was my first time visiting Atlanta and overall I was quite impressed, I will surely visit again.

Edited by moonshield

The station I got off at in Buckhead was the Buckhead station. I thought MARTA was quite impressive and efficient for the tourist like myself, if I lived in Atlanta in one of the more urban areas I would surely not need an automobile.

I've always found that the system served the city limits fairly well. :)

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Atlanta. (I'm linking it because at 1400x1050 it's pretty enormous for dial-upers like myself.) I took it from the Highland Ave. overpass over Freedom Parkway. It's one of the best vantage points for the downtown skyline, IMO. I also liked that one with the big AJC watermark looking down Peachtree, though, so maybe y'all will hate this. :P

Pardon the ill-advised sepia but unfortunately I don't have the original one anymore. :(

I think you're standing on Marietta...the street running left to right in the pic, but that is definately not Marietta that you're looking at in the pic.  I'll see if I can find a pic of Marietta St downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok, I checked out a map. You're right. It was from Marietta St at Cone St.

you are correct ironchapman. The only other bldg that rivals these two is the one in Houston in the Galleria area. It is occupied by VanKampen. It is the Williams tower. One of the main tenents in Councourse towers is Paine Webber.

B)

A2

(I actually stay in this area every time I frequent Hotlanta for biz)

On a side note---Houston's tower is over 900 feet and would be considered the tallest, but it is inside the Houston City Limits. If not, it would easilty be the tallest "suburban" tower.

Here is a nice pic of it. I am envious.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=231634

:rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is sometime call the King Kong Building. It was build when I live down in Texas in the 70s & early 80s

• 3 weeks later...

^^Great Shots!

The Aquarium looks nice, it looks similar to the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans.

I think the top of the BOA Plaza is beautiful, hell the whole building looks great IMO.

Here's a picture I really like, I love the sprawl of Atlanta's skyline(this may have been posted before in this thread)

atlanta3dr.jpg

Here's a cool site I found showing ATL's sprawl

^^this looks great if you have a good graphics card on your computer!

Edited by NCB