Atlanta Photo of the Day

last pic....kind of in the middle

I think you're talking about the item circled here:

ASpond.jpg

I don't know what it is either. Early on, the developers wanted to save the smokestack from the old steel plant, but the city (or some authority) wouldn't let them. I thought it would have been a nice homage to the plant that had stood there for so many years.

Speacking of which, WABE did a feature on the steel mill last week or so. Here is the link:

Well-Known, Well-Made and Well-Liked: The Mill that Helped Build Atlanta

I think you're talking about the item circled here:

ASpond.jpg

I don't know what it is either. Early on, the developers wanted to save the smokestack from the old steel plant, but the city (or some authority) wouldn't let them. I thought it would have been a nice homage to the plant that had stood there for so many years.

Speacking of which, WABE did a feature on the steel mill last week or so. Here is the link:

Well-Known, Well-Made and Well-Liked: The Mill that Helped Build Atlanta

Whatever that thing is, it was a part of the mill. Refresh my memory, what was the objection to the smokestacks?

Cool story too!

Edited by Martinman

According to the guys over at SSP, that is indeed an old smokestack from the steel mill. It will be moved to another location within Atlantic Station when the Millenium Arch is built.

As for the "controversial" smokestack, evidently the developers wanted to build an entirely new "fake" smokestack with "Atlantic Station" written on it. The city denied it because it did not comly with their sign ordinance.

I still think it could have been nice - honoring the old mill in a way. However, it probably would have been executed poorly and looked like junk.

According to the guys over at SSP, that is indeed an old smokestack from the steel mill. It will be moved to another location within Atlantic Station when the Millenium Arch is built.

As for the "controversial" smokestack, evidently the developers wanted to build an entirely new "fake" smokestack with "Atlantic Station" written on it. The city denied it because it did not comly with their sign ordinance.

I still think it could have been nice - honoring the old mill in a way. However, it probably would have been executed poorly and looked like junk.

You're probably right, it probably would end up looking like junk, don't forget the [sarcasm]wonderful[/sarcasm] job we did on the Centennial Olympic Torch Tower:

45651067_7ee29cc079_o.jpg

^On a side note, that is one of my better pics that I've taken.

Well, you'll be seeing some more of my work soon. I just spent most of the afternoon in Atlanta at Centennial Olympic Park taking pictures. I also had brunch at the SunDial (wonderful food :D ), so I've got some more Westin Peachtree pics to share, too.

You'll be seeing these pics soon.