Atlanta Photo of the Day

Wow, its been awhile since I visited this thread!

I really like the last few pictures you posted, bfermanich!

That's also a great skyline shot, IC! I know it's tough to get shots like that(through the windshield and moving shots) to come out clear.

Any thoughts?

Well, I know it's a matter of individual taste, but I personally like the ornate carving you see on some of these older buildings.

We used to cut through the lobby of the Candler Building to stay out of the rain, until they closed it off. :angry:

That's a very nice shot, IC.

Heres some pictures I took of the skyline from Tech's baseball stadium. Oh by the way, we are the number one team in America :D

n12804452_30330765_6611.jpg

BOA and Bellsouth

n12804452_30330766_6971.jpg

Midtown

n12804452_30330768_7584.jpg

BOA and Bellsouth again with a couple Frat and Sorority houses in the foreground.

n12804452_30330769_7894.jpg

RBC Centura building in Tech square.

Edited by LizellaJacket

Wow. GaTechGuy and I must have been out in Atlanta on the same day. Weird. Anyway, here are some pictures from a walk I took through Atlanta! By the way, photobucket screwed some of this up. Sorry about some of the weird sizes.

Here's Pickard Chilton's Symphony Tower. I hope Calatrava's Symphony Hall will work well with this - there are only so many accenting stripes that you can visually take.

post1.jpg

post2.jpg

They really need to submerge some of these electrical lines - unless someone's trying to create an old vs new effect?

post3.jpg

post4.jpg

post5.jpg

I personally love this one. The perspective created with the architecture is arresting.

post6.jpg

post7.jpg

post16.jpg

Then I walked on over to Renzo Piano's addition to the High.

post11.jpg

post10.jpg

post9.jpg

post8.jpg

Here are some shots from behind where no one really sees it.

post15.jpg

post12.jpg

post13.jpg

post14.jpg

I'm really excited with where Atlanta is going. It's finally beginning to make an impact on what's going on today in architecture. I bet we might be getting some more tourists soon too! That should be much better for us.

This one was also taken in the Fairlie-Poplar area. It was a bright day outside, so it's a little overexposed.

Another lovely photo, IC.

I still say it's sad that there are so few people moving about on the streets of downtown. I took the Fairlie-Poplar walking tour recently, and there was a couple from London, a lady from Brazil, and several couples from OTP who were interested in seeing what downtown looked like. Toward the end of the tour, the lady from London asked, "But where are all the people?" A few others chimed in and said, "Yes, where is everyone?"

Our tour guide (who was doing a great job) seemed slightly taken aback. He said it was busier during the week but that many of the people who bought condos downtown went home on the weekends. I'm not sure what that meant. We had passed a handful of people, and there were several folks hanging out in Woodruff Park, although to be blunt you kind of got the idea that a number of them were street people. I'm not knocking that, because everybody's gotta have a place to live, but it's not exactly conducive to the idea of a bustling, pedestrian friendly community.

Anyway, it was slightly embarrassing. The only other big cities I've lived in were New York and DC, where street life is teeming at all times.

Another lovely photo, IC.

I still say it's sad that there are so few people moving about on the streets of downtown. I took the Fairlie-Poplar walking tour recently, and there was a couple from London, a lady from Brazil, and several couples from OTP who were interested in seeing what downtown looked like. Toward the end of the tour, the lady from London asked, "But where are all the people?" A few others chimed in and said, "Yes, where is everyone?"

It was a Sunday afternoon (so a lot of the shops were closed) and it was rather cold and very windy, so this may have had something to do with it. I did run into a few people, though.

Our tour guide (who was doing a great job) seemed slightly taken aback. He said it was busier during the week but that many of the people who bought condos downtown went home on the weekends. I'm not sure what that meant. We had passed a handful of people, and there were several folks hanging out in Woodruff Park, although to be blunt you kind of got the idea that a number of them were street people. I'm not knocking that, because everybody's gotta have a place to live, but it's not exactly conducive to the idea of a bustling, pedestrian friendly community.

Anyway, it was slightly embarrassing. The only other big cities I've lived in were New York and DC, where street life is teeming at all times.

Sometimes I wonder if we are expecting too much from our cities, especially when so few meet the standard. I'm not saying we shouldn't aim for streets that are active almost all the time, but we shouldn't rush to call it a dismal situation either.

Edited by ironchapman