Atlanta Photo of the Day

^ The unique quirkiness of Atlanta's underground scene is why I wanted to post the pictures. Or more that the scenesters from the 90's have now grown up, are in their 30's & 40's & are often respectable business people & entrepeneurs. Quite a few people at the wedding were chefs, or owned small shops - all still practicing the DIY attitude.

But there aren't many cities that have successfully merged a large gay community with the punk scene & the old south roots into a bizarre mix of rednecks, gays & punks known as the redneck underground. Obviously not as significant as it was in the 90's, when Little Five Points & the Star Bar in particular was the focal point for the southern sound (though Dallas was also a major spot). But the music is still around - just a lot more countryfied, especially big in NC (have a high school friend in the Bo-Stevens).

Anyways - that is one thing I love about Atlanta & Cabbagetown. It's hip, modern, progressive, smart but also down home enough to appreciate a Miller High Life & a Merle Haggard song.

that is unreal...how dense of a livable village are midtown/downtown? meaning is it a walkable/livable residential area or just commercial space?

I live in Midtown (W. Peachtree St) and I dont think Midtown is a dense liveable village at all yet. Development is sporadic still with LOTS and LOTS of vastly underused or completely vacant and open lots. Atlanta is moving in a good direction but it wont be where it needs to for a long, long time.

Midtown has a mix of high-rise condos, as well as a residential portion made up of remaining old SFHs (1880's+) and newer developments as a result of teardowns. As for being livable, there are certain amenities (grocers, pharmacies, furniture stores, a gazillion restaurants), but it really lacks some everyday retail. Atlantic Station has filled some of that gap, but what Peachtree Street needs is a recognizable shopping district...and to fill in those damned parking lots.

That shot is AMAZING! ATLien did a graet job! :thumbsup:

Definitely one of the best shots of our city that I have ever seen. The cloud cover really works with the picture (unlike many times when, as Hybrid pointed out, ruins the shot entirely).

^ I was there last night for the music festival, or most importantly - to see the Flaming Lips.

... and it was free!

:lol: The best kind of concert.

They also had a good band doing R&B covers down at Luckie and Broad yesterday afternoon. It's been a while since I've heard "Give Up The Funk."

I have a great picture idea, but no camera......coming down Northside drive towards midtown right before you get to 17th street(theres a gay bar, the aptly named Swinging Richards,and a mexican rest. there), the view is incredible as you come up to the crest of the hill). You can see the entire(midtown and downtown) skyline rise up over the trees.

Here's my contribution for today:

The fountains are a great way to escape the heat of the day. Look at all the people enjoying themselves!

Very cool, Irony! Once again you've captured the human perspective. Are you considering a career as an artist or photographer?

Here's one I snapped yesterday -- it's a totally awful picture since I took it out the window, but the perspective on the old Polaris Lounge is interesting. Back in the 1960's, Atlantans thought this was the most amazing thing since sliced bread:

Hyatt%20Regency.jpg

Very cool, Irony! Once again you've captured the human perspective. Are you considering a career as an artist or photographer?

Here's one I snapped yesterday -- it's a totally awful picture since I took it out the window, but the perspective on the old Polaris Lounge is interesting. Back in the 1960's, Atlantans thought this was the most amazing thing since sliced bread:

I didn't know that thing was in use. I thought it was an ostentatious decoration. Is it still in use today?

I', glad you liked it. I haven't really considered a career in photography or artistry (I can barely draw a goo stick figure--but I know there's more to artistry than that).

Here's my contribution for today. It's one I took from my car a few days ago.

The Georgia Capitol and Other Atlanta Buildings

159617290_3665de2fcc_b.jpg

(L-R) The Capitol Dome, The Westin Peachtree, Georgia-Pacific's HQ, and 191 Peachtree

What do you guys think?