Atlanta Photo of the Day

I still think 1180 is among the most beautiful towers built in the US, especially in the past 20-30 years.

There are some parts of it I really like, especially the way it reflects the nearby building when driving East on 14th from the connector, but I really dislike the way it looks from a distance.

I can't escape the feeling that it's either unfinished or about to launch something. Just looks like missle silo doors opening to me.

I was out walking the dog this morning and grabbed a shot of the 3344 Peachtree construction site. That's the edge of Realm condos on the left side of the picture, and the Grand Hyatt and Terminus would be just to the left of that. To the right will be the Ackerman project and the Mansion, adding several additional towers in the 50-story range.

3344.jpg

Edited by Andrea

^Very interesting to see Atlanta that early in the morning. I'm guessing that car probably was going to (or coming home from) work.

For some reason, building "skeletons" fascinate me. I like the look of that part, too.

Did you just snap this as you went along, or did you prop it up on something?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Atlanta 1942. Many sections of the city were quite built up even then.

http://andreabennett.com/public/various/1944map.htm

Wow... that's a big map. Notice how the odd shape of Fulton county means that they had to put North Fulton (old Milton county, specifically) in a separate section.

Lots of things seem familiar about that map when you compare it to the way things look today (street names, parks, etc.), but it's still changed a lot since then.

Candler Field looks so tiny when compared to the humongous Hartsfield-Jackson that exists there today. Wow....

Wow... that's a big map. Notice how the odd shape of Fulton county means that they had to put North Fulton (old Milton county, specifically) in a separate section.

Lots of things seem familiar about that map when you compare it to the way things look today (street names, parks, etc.), but it's still changed a lot since then.

Candler Field looks so tiny when compared to the humongous Hartsfield-Jackson that exists there today. Wow....

Yes, there are several interesting features to this map. For one thing, the population in 1942 was only 392,886. It has more than doubled in just 65 years.

Most of the roads in North Fulton (Milton) are shown as unpaved. Once you got on the north side of the river, things were still quite rural. Old timers have told me that Roswell Road, which was one of the few paved highways coming through that area back then, was a major moonshining route into Atlanta. (As I have commented before, stock car racing really has its roots in Atlanta, which makes it a little surprising that NASCAR did not locate its museum here).

Schools were still officially segregated by race at that time, of course, and the map designates white schools by a large dot and the relatively few colored schools with a small one. Schools along Willis Mill, Bankhead Highway, Jonesboro Road, Lakewood and Gordon Road were designated white, and several of them became battlegrounds during the integration struggles of the late 1950's and 1960's.

It's also interesting to note how few river crossings there were south of downtown. Heading south, the only bridge after Bankhead Highway was at Campbellton Road. You could cross by ferry at a few other places, but otherwise the river formed a physical barrier.

Edited by Andrea

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...