Atlanta Photo of the Day

• 3 months later...

Wow. Looks like it's been awhile since new pics got loaded here...

Atlanta has been invaded by foreign elements and it's set up camp again. There were still some flurries in the air, so pardon the extra fuzz...

web0000285fh3.jpg

Peachtree Corridor (Buckhead Loop to Downtown)

web0000284ta5.jpg

Buckhead (Lenox/Buckhead Loop Cluster down Peachtree)

web0000283im2.jpg

Central Atlanta (Midtown to Downtown)

• 2 weeks later...

....drool - I miss those greasy scrambled eggs from the Majestic. So, Plaza is still doing the Rocky Horror Friday nights? None of those pictures they are showing look very artsy, the Plaza doesn't specialize in art films anymore, but only discount pictures?

Anyways - thanks for taking pictures of one of my beloved street corners!

....drool - I miss those greasy scrambled eggs from the Majestic. So, Plaza is still doing the Rocky Horror Friday nights? None of those pictures they are showing look very artsy, the Plaza doesn't specialize in art films anymore, but only discount pictures?

Anyways - thanks for taking pictures of one of my beloved street corners!

No independent art houses left in Atlanta anymore. George LeFont sold the Plaza to independent operators in summer 2006 and closed Garden Hills Cinema a couple of months later when his lease there expired. Eight-screen Landmark Midtown in the Midtown Promenade (it was a UA previously IIRC) uses a couple of screens for indie films, but shows first-run major studio releases on the rest. The Starlight Drive-In still survives however for a unique (and cheap!) movie-going experience (first run).

^I'm looking forward to it, NCB. I've been very impressed by your work so far. Nice shot of the skyline there. I assume you were driving at the time.

I went into Atlanta today myself to try out my new camera. Hopefully, I'll be able to post them soon. However, I leave to go back to college tomorrow (I'm spending the weekend at home), and Georgia Southern's server doesn't allow me to upload to Flickr for some reason, so it may be a while before I can post them.

Great photos of Atlanta's skyline from the interstate, you two (whaddya know, they are good for something after all ;) ). It makes me wish I was back home rather than stuck in Statesboro (no offense intended to my fellow Statesboro forumers ;) ).

Keep the great pics a-coming!

Great stuff, JerseyBoy! It looks like we took many pictures in the same areas. Whenever I go through cities like Atlanta or Houston, I turn into a bit of an "interchange/look how wide that interstate is!" geek myself. :lol:

As for my photo from below the I-20 interchange, I call that nothing more than luck. I literally just held the camera around the seat, held the shutter to get a shot through the back window, and hoped for the best. After a little cropping and rotating, I managed to come out with a shot that wasn't half bad.

There's still quite a bit of our city's history tucked away. I was walking through the neighborhood the other day and snapped a photo of this old stone house from days gone by. The hundreds of thousands zooming across the GA 400 bridge in the background would not notice it.

2321291218_c210e45460_o.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...