Atlanta Photo of the Day

^ That is a cool site, certainly too many parking lots have a poor effect on the heat island.

But why did they produce these maps viewed south?

Urban_night_temp.jpg

What is surprising for this one - is the GA World Congress Center appears to have a environmentally sensitve roof, little heat is captured over night.

Edited by teshadoh

From my trip up the Westin Peachtree:

Here's a crappy pano (Well, okay, I cut it out of a bigger pic) took from a hill at the Mt. Harmony Baptist Church cemetery.

42837653_e8d8657cf5_o.jpg

And another just edited shot of it:

45652969_093e4fb437_o.jpg

Ahh...for a wide-angle lense........

And the Centennial Olympic Torch Monument:

45651067_7ee29cc079_o.jpg

Thoughts?

I have a couple more left that I'll post later.

Edited by ironchapman

I really wish they would knock that torch down. It is soooooo ugly and very low class looking. It definitely detracts from the overall skyline. What purpose does it really serve? It was not officially sanctioned by the IOC.

My guess is pride purposes. Pretty much as a way of saying to passerby on the Connector "Look at us! We hosted an Olympic Games". I personally don't think it's as much ugly as it is out of place. It would probably look better at, say, Centennial Olympic Park.

My guess is pride purposes. Pretty much as a way of saying to passerby on the Connector "Look at us! We hosted an Olympic Games". I personally don't think it's as much ugly as it is out of place. It would probably look better at, say, Centennial Olympic Park.

I'm only offering my opinion but I find it awfully gawdy. If we want to annouce to passerbys that we hosted the Olympics, something more worthy should be erected in its's place. The top of it looks like my three year old and two year old twins painted it. The red staft is sooooooo not working. You can never go wrong with understanded elegance. I am so glad that they didn't allow that to be built in or near Centennial Olympic Park. It's rather garrish and would diminish the quality of vistas from the park.

The developer of the Torch had the best intentions......if not the best aesthetic taste.

But again that's just my opinion.

Centennial Olympic Torch Monument?

Ironchapman - it's nothing but the remains of a crass cheesy ripoff built before the Olympics to make money. Fortunately the guy went totally broke b/c everyone knew it was a joke - it didn't last long after the Olympics.

Sorry. I do believe it is something of a misnomer...I just couldn't come up with a title for it that wasn't negative.

Edited by ironchapman

Well. I recently discovered I had some more pics from my Peachtree trip loaded up in my computer. Here are the one's I found:

The Centennial Olympic Park Fountain (sorry if it's not the best pic :blush: )

42832570_88a5667da0_o.jpg

My Brick in Centennial Olympic Park

^My Brick is the one that says "Jake" on it.

(I didn't really want to post that one, so I provided a link)

Very nice... I like the brick too.

How do you get Jake from James? Or Dick from Richard? Or Bill from William? Or Bob from Robert? How do you do it?

There's two James' already in my family, my last name is Walker, and my parents didn't like Jamie (or any sort of other James nicknames). We also couldn't have had a "Jay Walker" running around, now could we? :P

Thus I am Jake. many people think I am a Jacob.

BTW: I don't mind if people here call me Jake or if you call me by whatever shortened form of my screen name you can come up with (like IC, Ironman, Ironchap, etc. :))

Edited by ironchapman

Well, as luck would have it, I recently was able to upload some pic from the Westin Peachtree that I took that weren't good enough to post in my Peachtree thread, but still good enough to post. Here's one for tonight, I have about five:

Looking Southeast:

47558509_e3eccf9550_o.jpg

I might edit a few of these into my Peachtree thread later.

Edited by ironchapman

I love the way that building in the right looks like a mirror.

There's two James' already in my family, my last name is Walker, and my parents didn't like Jamie (or any sort of other James nicknames). We also couldn't have had a "Jay Walker" running around, now could we? :P

Thus I am Jake. many people think I am a Jacob.

BTW: I don't mind if people here call me Jake or if you call me by whatever shortened form of my screen name you can come up with (like IC, Ironman, Ironchap, etc. :))

I'll stick with Iron.

I love the way that building in the right looks like a mirror.

Ah yes, Centennial Tower. Many people seem to like the wierd triangle design that covers about the top 1/3 of the building. It makes for a pretty show at night. Too bad I couldn't get a shot of it.

I'll stick with Iron.

Fine by me B)

Here's something for today:

This is an interesting pic. If you look carefully, you can see me reflected in the building:

The Georgia-Pacific HQ Building:

47558511_7692dffde7_o.jpg

With any luck, my Douglasville pics will be coming in tomorrow. Mind if I post some here since it is technically part of Metro Atlanta? (I'm running out of pics that are actually from Atlanta)

Edited by ironchapman