Atlanta Photo of the Day

Downtown Atlanta

coverdowntown2br.jpg

My, my, my, it's been a long time since I have seen a picture with the old venerable Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. This picture has to be about 8 years since it was demolished. When this picture was taken Atlantic Station was just a vision. Thanks for bringing back memories NCB....it's amazing to see how much Atlanta has grown.

My, my, my, it's been a long time since I have seen a picture with the old venerable Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium. This picture has to be about 8 years since it was demolished. When this picture was taken Atlantic Station was just a vision. Thanks for bringing back memories NCB....it's amazing to see how much Atlanta has grown.

I recieved a postcard with that picture of Atlanta on it in 1996-97. Even though its an old picture, its one of my favorite's of Atlanta. Glad you enjoyed it Lady Celeste! :)

Edited by NCB

Yeah seriously, what happened? I live in Arts Center Tower and go to Tech and I can tell you that lively Atlanta is not.

Methinks suburbia ruined it. So many people moved out and left downtown a ghosttown for a long time. It's just now beginning to be revived.

Seriously, those resemble streets of cities much bigger than Atlanta. I mean, I'm thinking of Chicago.

BTW: Welcome ot the forum, Nick!

Edited by ironchapman

Methinks suburbia ruined it. So many people moved out and left downtown a ghosttown for a long time. It's just now beginning to be revived.

When I was a little kid in the 1960's downtown was still the place to be. It was as bustling as Manhattan or Boston, and all the prestigious businesses wanted to be as close to Five Points as possible. Suburban malls were barely getting off the ground, and if you wanted to do *real* shopping or see the latest movies or dine at a fine restaurant you came to town. There were no Toys R Us, and at Christmas the two downtown department stores had massive toy departments. The big Sears on Ponce de Leon was not bad, but Rich's ruled. Underground was vibrant and organic, not the manufactured mall that it is now. Men like my Dad wore hats to work every day, and you would never catch my Grandma on the streets of downtown Atlanta without her gloves.

Even in the 70's most of the prestigious legal, banking, accounting and insurance firms were clustered around Five Points. Folks were aghast when Alston & Bird talked about moving to 14th Street -- it was unheard of for a big law firm to move that far out! Peachtree Center was pretty much the northern boundary of acceptability in those days.

Edited by Andrea

Seriously, those resemble streets of cities much bigger than Atlanta. I mean, I'm thinking of Chicago.

BTW: Welcome ot the forum, Nick!

Its pretty much the same thing that happened to most cities on some level, across the country. Middle class abandonment, white flight, malls...suburbia ruled. I mean there really are few examples of cities that maintianed a strong, healthy center city.

Also the state saw freeway construction as the primary key to economic progress and new intown developments were built like fortresses. Whats worse, they had the nerve to tear down what was in those pics to build these fortresses.

Edited by Martinman