Atlanta Photo of the Day

Also the state saw freeway construction as the primary key to economic progress and new intown developments were built like fortresses. Whats worse, they had the nerve to tear down what was in those pics to build these fortresses.

Martinman, that's for sure. I happened to be down at the Spring Street plaza of the Richard B. Russell Building and it's hard to imagine a more forbidding fortress-like view, no matter which way you look. It was 8:45 in the morning yet only a handful of people were visible. It made me very sad for the vibrant, bustling downtown we used to have in that area. I remember taking my Dad downtown to Terminal Station to catch the Nancy Hanks for Savannah. There'd be dozens of trains coming and going at all hours of the day and night.

atlterm3.jpg

Martinman, that's for sure. I happened to be down at the Spring Street plaza of the Richard B. Russell Building and it's hard to imagine a more forbidding fortress-like view, no matter which way you look. It was 8:45 in the morning yet only a handful of people were visible. It made me very sad for the vibrant, bustling downtown we used to have in that area. I remember taking my Dad downtown to Terminal Station to catch the Nancy Hanks for Savannah. There'd be dozens of trains coming and going at all hours of the day and night.

atlterm3.jpg

Its difficult to imagine someone even considering demolishing that thing, let alone actually doing it. :(

Its difficult to imagine someone even considering demolishing that thing, let alone actually doing it. :(

It is incredibly sad. Of course for decades Atlanta had two very busy and beautiful downtown passenger terminals -- Terminal Station, above, and Union Station. I think they were both torn down in the early 70's.

atlunio.jpg

Andrea, thank you for those pictures. It's such a shame that such gems were lost due to progress. Thankfully Atlanta has slowed in it's demolision of such treasures.

As to the pictures presented by Martinman....thanks also. The 14th corridor is definitely becoming quite a nicely dense street. Now the westside of 14th Street is starting to sprout nice density. Infill of residential will make this area and Atlantic Station a great destination.

You can view collections of those old birds eye portraits of Atlanta, at the National Library web site. Also, if you have software that can read MrSid image format, they are great to download & view.

From what I remember there is one that is from around 1880 (I have a copy framed in our living room), my favorite one is from 1892 & is brilliantly detailed. That last one is also detailed but often too crowded to examine closely, it is from around 1910.

In fact - I have clipped a portion of the 1892 picture to show where I live:

NEGrantPark_1892.jpg

I had a meeting in town yesterday, so I stopped by Atlantic Station afterwards to see how it is coming together.

It was very busy with crews trying to wrap up all the little loose ends (painting, caulking, cleaning, etc.).

While I'll agree with some that it feels a little cheap in places, it still is a really interesting destination. It reminds me of Quincy Market in Boston. I can totally see them moving the Christmas Tree lighting to here in a year or two.

Here are my pics:

100_2687.jpg

100_2686.jpg

100_2685.jpg

100_2684.jpg

100_2682.jpg

100_2681.jpg

100_2680.jpg

100_2679.jpg

100_2677.jpg

100_2674.jpg

100_2673.jpg