One Glenwood

orulz

10 Story office building at the SW corner of Hillsborough & Glenwood. 14,500sf retail. The building itself will incorporate no parking; the parking deck will go across Morgan Street. The parking deck will actually take up half the lot at 607 W Morgan (hopefully the BACK half.) The developer is not sure what to do with the rest of the parking deck property.

I have always thought the area around Union Station should lean towards office development.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article57241653.html

One%20Glenwood%20Office

• Like 1

Building looks great.  Project success will be determine by the parking garage though.  650 space deck is rather large, so it's not looking good for Sheltons, which sucks.  Citrix deck has 90 spaces per level, so something with that footprint would be 7 levels.  Also, to serve 9 floors of office space that is 72 parking spaces allotted per office floor.

Deck needs to have decent screening hopefully on all elevations.  And really should have ground floor retail spaces along Morgan St.

Agree with jtmonk I do!

I personally would have preferred that they included the parking and perhaps even a small/boutique hotel...kind of spreading the cost to build around.

Slso, this looks even more shocking when you think that the 23 story Sky House apartment building was built for 60 million and just sold today for 105 million...

Looks plenty good to me. I hope it has good street presence on all three sides. Reminds me of Charter Square South. Regarding 607 Morgan, its so deep, I could see the deck sitting in the center of the lot, and allowing for street fronting buildings on each side of it for Hargett and Morgan, but I suppose we shall see. I think this is one of the most astute pick-ups, especially for an out of town company, of all the projects being planned. For all of the changes we've seen in the last 15 years, it seems like the next 5 will get things 'over the hump'....almost all dead spaces gone, districts connected, people on the street at all hours....  

46 minutes ago, RaleighRick said:

I think this is the original proposal for 1 Glenwood.56ac3f10dc163_IWish.jpg.89ee1ee31b4e268056ac3ef8bcbba_IWish2.jpg.91571ea5e0a8cd8

Thank you RaleighRick, great pics!

I think that I will go sit in a corner and cry...what a loss!

And while I actually do like the design of the 10 story building, it's just that, a 10 story building...what a waste of prime downtown space. Oh well, there money  my dreams. Sigh!

I don't have a problem with the 10 story version. Things have shifted around a bit. Think of all the projects on the way. I'm more than satisfied. 

The Dillion,Charter Square,301 Hillsbrough,the N&O which will hopefully be Raleigh's new tallest,fingers crossed. Throw in this 10 story(150') we're looking good. 

I Just hope we can get another hotel or two started this year. 

This TBJ article has a bit more information in it:
http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/01/details-emerge-for-10-story-office-at-one-glenwood.html

The entrance to the parking deck will be configured such that you'll go straight through the traffic light at Glenwood and Morgan into the deck.  I guess that means the deck will be toward the front and at least partially on the un-built part of the site.  I also wonder if they could make the deck mostly below-grade in this instance considering topography.  In the article it does say the "site will be able to accommodate more building structures beyond the 10-story building and parking deck" so I wonder if they could build over the top of the deck at a later date?

4 hours ago, Jones_ said:

The parking deck and building aren't on the same site. I wonder which one they mean...

I kinda wonder if it's the parking deck as they said in multiple news sources that the plans for that side of the street aren't complete, but the project itself when finished will be valued around $100 million.  Plus we've already seen the render above for the main site itself.  No idea though, just rambling thoughts.

Yeah guess it has to be that...pretty poor journalism to say the 10 story building and parking deck are on the same site...anyway, if they love this part of town as much as they say they do, I imagine they'd leave some room for another project. I look forward to it. 

On 1/30/2016 at 9:32 AM, DPK said:

In all honesty I think the original size of One Glenwood would have been out of character for the surrounding neighborhood, but that's just my opinion.  You'd have this monolith at the end of a fairly mid-size scaled district.

Exactly!  This current proposal is a great fit.  The 38 story proposal belongs on the N&O site or Enterprise lot or replacing/adding on to the Alexander Sq parking deck, etc...

10 stories is actually a really nice step down from 29 at Wells Fargo, to 20 on the Campbell Law lot, to 10 here, and then those 2-4 story office buildings along Hillsborough mixed in with the older apartments and such. 

My choice, 30-40 story lot, is immediately west of Sheraton...demolish that old parking deck or maybe both parking decks...and get a huge class A, headquarters on that spot that can benefit from the hotels and convention space. Plus that lot is on the plateau/ridge through central downtown is very prominent from several angles (south Saunders, Boylan, Hillsborough St). But I digress, as I often do...

To everyone...
Help me understand the idea that buildings of 18+ floors in the NH's area, literally the suburbs is ok?
But a building of 21+ floors in the "downtown area" is too tall?
That 10 floors makes more visual sense? 
...my apologies, but we will just have to agree to disagree...

10 hours ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:
To everyone...
Help me understand the idea that buildings of 18+ floors in the NH's area, literally the suburbs is ok?

Thanks as always Ernest for your input that every building should be taller than what is proposed.  Agree to disagree.

I agree with you totally. Again...downtown gets 10 story buildings on prime sites...yet towers of any height get approved in the subburbs. Green_man..he never said every building should be taller than what is proposed.

The one beside Bank of American at the plaza sure as bleeping blank should have been taller...what a waste!!!

10 hours ago, DwnTwnRaleighGuy said:
To everyone...

10 is completely fine for the site. This building is pretty far-removed from the other skyline-contributing buildings. Anyway, no shortage of other spaces in the area for something taller. I'm pretty happy to see a building that's not a matchstick apartment and has some architectural gravitas to it.

Also I think it's totally irrational to compare projects from after 2008 to pie-in-the-sky proposals preceding the 2008 crash.

I think a 25 story proposal here would be fine and I think the zoning is too restrictive, however I don't consider this project a wasted opportunity for a SuperTall(tm) or something. To me, once you get to three stories, building height is completely irrelevant, beyond the fact that height can bring about increased density. For office buildings, to me, the square footage - or more specifically the FAR - matters far more than the height.

First off, not all parts of "downtown" are the same, and secondly, the suburbs certainly are allowed to densify and mold themselves into a more urban form.

Regarding the One Glenwood site, this is an interesting piece of land downtown...sort of the center of a bow tie. Its has railroads cutting through, Edenton dumping up on to Hillsborough, and Glenwood terminating...all in one spot. Heading west you have an historic swath of structures that serves and serves well, as a transition zone from downtown proper, to both the Glenwood, corridor and the NC State corridor. All this taken together along with the simple topography and I think anything over say 15 or so, would start to look almost as awkward as the Pickle on 15-501. 

For my money I'd rather see a residential building here with ground floor retail on all sides...something like say an Art Deco warehouse, along the lines of the Creamery but with apartments instead of office space. It'd connect the actual Warehouse district with the warehouse-y powerhouse area and the older Glenwood buildings on extreme southern Gleenwood. The block needs thickened up. Its super walkable in the immediate area, and to all the other downtown areas. People should inhabit this block in my opinion and office space feels like an under utilization.