One Glenwood

orulz

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, unique1rdu said:

I located this construction cam of One and Two Glenwood.  Place mouse on image to move left to right.

http://heritagepropertiesinc.com/properties/one-glenwood/ 

Thank you unique1rdu,

A great find as I love these “cams”!

While this does offer us a great view of the larger one and two Glenwood projects, it also shows (imho) the missed opportunity to continue Glenwood ave down into a larger Union Station that had been considered in the past by the city. But again,  it’s all in the past now. My thanks again for posting! :-)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grabbed these pics a little while ago.  Not my greatest work by any stretch of the imagination (tough to take decent pics when you're driving in snow), but thought it was worth a share.  Even though this is still going to rise a few more stories, it already has a ton of presence and will definitely help link Glenwood South with the Warehouse District.

DSC_3555.jpg

DSC_3556.jpg

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 4

Hey Jones, as our resident history guru, what is the history of the topography of this site? I take it the steep falloff in elevation between north and south parts of site is due to fact that Hillsborough Street was built atop a natural ridge, and  Morgan Street was sort of built into the side of that hill and buffered with fill?

Hills borough is the ridge between Pigeon House Branch and Rocky Branch. Morgan and Hillsborough were both lower originally. Morgan was two separate spans a good 5 feet below current grade. That was in place by at least 1914 but not about before that but likely ended at West and was just a hill as you describe, and I will in a second. Hillsborough’s first bridge was built shortly after the railroad was installed in the 1850s. Looking over the site, it looks like During that period, the at-grade crossing was close to ten feet below the bridge level.....descending from Boylan to Harrington, both of which are at their original elevations. Glenwood and West are both elevated. I think a small creek started about where Morgan is now, and flowed south to just west of CAM, so imagine a small depression facing south that encompasses the old ACE towing lot. Lanes spring house was where about half way up Hargett from West, another little creek rising up from that hillside. This is my summary from a combination of Sanborn, Drie, the original Raleigh plat, and a recent uncovering of a granite encased creek next to CAM for Union Station work plus some anecdotes from Murray’s book on Wake regarding the railroad. 

Edited by Jones_
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great News! (For DTR height fans)

On my way home, I took a detour downtown and noticed something new.

There appears to be a 1 story-tall facade going up on the recently topped-out tower, which adds a slight boost in overall height. 

I presume this will be housing the AC and yada yada..

I'm getting the impression that the folks behind this project really know what they're doing here. 

If it were any taller, it'd stick out like a sorethumb IMHO,  but this new height is very impressive and cohesive in regards to this corner of downtown. Definitely an anchor piece in DTRs urban fabric; connecting vibrant Glenwood South with soon-to-be buzzing Warehouse District.

I believe that that immediately surrounding plots for suitable development should be able shoot for more height (hopefully higher ROI) because this building has broken the  proverbial ice for that area.

Lmgmo at the Pickle on 15-501, that's always what comes to mind when I think of 200+ footers near 2-3 story buildings. 

20180425_201545.thumb.jpg.6e46931e29e01279ebb9a7973fffcb41.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was jogging by this project today and noticed they are building a pretty substantial concrete exterior stairway down to the ground level on hotel side. It is on the east end of the site and goes down near the tracks. Do you think it is possible they will build a ground level path over to Hargett from here?