One Glenwood

orulz

• 3 weeks later...

One Glenwood today by me the tourist.   Including some great crane action on the parking action.  Next time I come through town I will check out some of your great museums.   The garage on this one is a little big especially from the back side hopefully something will block it. 

IMG_0050.JPG

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

• Like 4

So drove by this on Morgan Street yesterday.  Parking deck structure presents a blank concrete facade to street for bottom two or three stories...set back 15 or 20 feet from street.  Are they going to add to facade of street level retail or something else interesting?  Because otherwise, Morgan Street streetscape will be pretty bleak for the deck structure...

On 5/18/2018 at 4:54 PM, Green_man said:

Interesting.  This?

one-glenwood-5-18-18.JPG

Access from below street level parking to hopping parts of downtown just across the bridge?  Maybe they will have public parking serving Glenwood South/Warehouse District down stairs, with the guest parking at street level and above?

22 hours ago, Jones_ said:

My guess is the first two building levels won't need direct access to the deck..lobbies, meeting rooms etc. Third floor and up must be guest rooms with those hallways having doors out into the deck. 

Thanks.  When I reviewed earlier in thread, I saw that there is a hotel in front of the deck. Boy, it is really going to be shoehorned in there... I know city frowns on pedestrian "habitrails" above street, but will there be a tunnel or something...that could be sort of a dangerous at grade street crossing to One Glenwood proper...

29 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Thanks.  When I reviewed earlier in thread, I saw that there is a hotel in front of the deck. Boy, it is really going to be shoehorned in there... I know city frowns on pedestrian "habitrails" above street, but will there be a tunnel or something...that could be sort of a dangerous at grade street crossing to One Glenwood proper...

Good question. I don't think a tunnel is being put in because it'd be bored into fill that is holding  up the Morgan St bridge. I also haven't seen a pedestrian overpass...but I haven't looked super close for one in renderings. 

I thought I had read at one point that this developer had assembled the entire block bounded by Glenwood, Boylan, Morgan, and H-boro.  What is fate of nondescript suburban style office building  (you can see it behind One Glenwood in photo five posts up) at Boylan and Morgan (across Morgan from Moonlight Pizza).

Edit:  per wake county property site, "Glenwood Two LLC" at same address as "Glenwood One LLC" owns the office building and the restored service station in front of it on corner of HIllsborough and Boylan.  Other property owners own the stuff in the middle of the block.  One is an address in Wilson that looks like a family inheritance situation, and the other (615 Hillsborough St.)  is some property company out of Winston-Salem and that parcel is only one they own in Wake County (land speculators?)

Edited by JeffC

"Two Hillsborough":  10 story building.  Office above Retail.  Ground floor retail in 3 spaces (~9800 sf, 3350 sf, & 4300 sf).  Office: 270,403 sf.  Large landscaped/ plaza area between this and One Glenwood.  Phase 2 has two 1-story buildings in the plaza for more retail, one of which is a structure of stacked shipping containers for a coffee shop.  Building height 173.5' at its tallest point.

• Like 3

Looks a little bland, but then again, there is nothing of architectural interest on this block other than the cool restored service station.  A shame that one will go, and the run down former stations on the two other corners of this intersection remain.

47 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Looks a little bland, but then again, there is nothing of architectural interest on this block other than the cool restored service station.  A shame that one will go, and the run down former stations on the two other corners of this intersection remain.

If you look a little closer, there are quite a bit of slight angles on the floor plates and elevations.  And very different look between the 3 buildings in this development (1Glenwood, 2Hillsoborough, and the Hotel).  Glad they all aren't the same architecture.

Other two former gas stations will not be around much longer.  I think both bought by the same developer from all the small 4-5 story apartment buildings along Hillsborough St.  Zoned for 7 floors, so maybe they go higher than those, but not sure how they work around the parking requirement then.

4 hours ago, JeffC said:

That audio store is really a 100 year old colonial revival house. Look down the side alley and you can see the bay windows poking out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...