One Glenwood

orulz

so I guess Two Glenwood Tower footprint will take out the funky restored Art Deco gas station at corner of Hillsborough and Boylan?  10 years from now, Char-Grill and Snoopy's will be the only damn funky thing left on that whole side of town. (National Art Interiors building is notable and potentially funky, but completely wasted as boring office space and high end retail...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JeffC said:

so I guess Two Glenwood Tower footprint will take out the funky restored Art Deco gas station at corner of Hillsborough and Boylan?  10 years from now, Char-Grill and Snoopy's will be the only damn funky thing left on that whole side of town. (National Art Interiors building is notable and potentially funky, but completely wasted as boring office space and high end retail...

That's truly a shame.  That gas station is awesome.  Character being paved over.

It's like a weird repeat of when neighborhoods/houses got paved over for parking lots for state government.

16 hours ago, DPK said:

That's truly a shame.  That gas station is awesome.  Character being paved over.

It's like a weird repeat of when neighborhoods/houses got paved over for parking lots for state government.

Except it's a different set of tunnel vision fan boys cheering this crap on. 

On 10/25/2018 at 3:30 PM, JeffC said:

Most alarming to me is the phase 3, 9 story parking deck just submitted, that takes out the brick, Italianate Joel Whitaker house on Hillsborough. 

• Like 2

^^^ we had a hotel go up just like this with metal framing and it is 10 stories.  (the Home2Suites at Stonewall Station)   This is what is looks like from its construction cam now you can see a little bit of the steel framing at the top.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/Doradus/h2scharlotte

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, CHGuy said:

It's load bearing metal stud framing. Similar to wood studs. The steel structure below is the podium. I assume the steel will be fireproofed.

Interesting. I've never seen it in a load bearing application...only internal. There are still those steel vertical members in the rear so I'm guessing some more rigid skeleton is holding all the framing together. From the limited times I've held metal framing, it doesn't seem like it handles torque very well, but I could be wrong. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
^^ I mean that is a Charlotte style parking deck HUGE. I do think it for both office towers including the one planned and the hotel.    Says 733 parking spaces.
Here is the marketing  flyer
http://www.trinity-partners.com/content/uploads/2016/06/One-Glenwood_OFFICE-Brochure-for-email.pdf

Haha over here complaining about parking decks. Least they don’t have a 14 floor nearly block sided 3000 space parking deck being erected, like at Legacy Onion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Glenwood deck is fine. They are already building the Origin hotel to screen it to the north, and have a future phase eventually planned to the south.

It is the Two Glenwood deck planned at the corner of Boylan and Hillsborough with retail on the ground floor but no screen building that is bothersome.

It is a bit frustrating to me that they went to great extents to do the first deck right, in an arguably less important spot, and then didn't follow up and do the same with their second.

But yeah, your picture certainly provides some perspective.

And also some perspective that downtown Charlotte is just... well, on a different scale compared with Raleigh.

• Like 3