Niner National

Artificial Lake Development?

20 posts in this topic

Just saw this on CharlotteStories.com

http://www.charlottestories.com/negotiations-under-way-to-build-a-crystal-clear-artificial-lake-in-charlotte/

crystal-lagoon-charlotte.jpg

The CEO of Crystal Lagoons just left Charlotte after securing a deal that he hopes will be finalized over the next few months. The deal would be for the company to build a massive new ‘crystal lagoon’ and water-front development right here in the Queen City.

The company has now announced a total of 11 projects in the U.S., after it has already started 300 other projects around the world (including in Dubai).

It doesn't reference location or anything, but the rendering they show clearly shows it being in Uptown. I'm sure that is just a placeholder though because there is no way something like this would ever be in Uptown. Seems like if something like this were to happen, it would make more sense to utilize one of the quarries in the area when they are done producing. There is on in UCity on Mallard Creek Church that will be shutting down soon or has shut down in the last few years.

We started talking about it in the Off Topic thread. I personally hate the idea.

1 person likes this

This looks like they cutout a piece of Miami and stuck it in uptown. Looks completely out of place. I can see some variation of this up near Lake Norman, but not here. . 

9 minutes ago, Niner National said:

http://www.charlottestories.com/negotiations-under-way-to-build-a-crystal-clear-artificial-lake-in-charlotte/

It doesn't reference location or anything, but the rendering they show clearly shows it being in Uptown. I'm sure that is just a placeholder though because there is no way something like this would ever be in Uptown. Seems like if something like this were to happen, it would make more sense to utilize one of the quarries in the area when they are done producing. There is on in UCity on Mallard Creek Church that will be shutting down soon or has shut down in the last few years.

First off this would NEVER happen this close to uptown, this would be far away where land is cheap. Charlotte Stories is ridiculous and them photoshopping this into an uptown area means nothing.

Edited by Jayvee
2 people like this

It's hideous. Based on that alone, I give it a 75% chance of happening, since our planners seem to optimize for hideousness.

1 person likes this

I like the idea of it being uptown. Only I would have it in the opposite corner of 277/77 of the Music Factory.

There are several natural islands in Lake Norman that could be a base for this type of development!!

Capture.JPG

Charlotte Stories photo-shopped the development renderings from Miami into a photo of Uptown Charlotte.... what a misleading move. There is NO indication the developer is looking at Uptown Charlotte. This would most likely be in the Lake Norman area, on Lake Wylie (all that open land near Steele Creek) to have the contract between the lake and their ulta-pure crystal water, and I could also see it outside Ballantyne. 

Edited by CLT2014

56 minutes ago, Niner National said:

Quarry would probably be too deep to fill with that much water. They probably don't have that big of a depth. 

Here is a pic of one of their completed projects in Chile. It pumps water from the Pacific, has a max depth of 11.5 feet, covers 20 acres, and has 66 million gallons of water. It has as much water as ~6,000 standard swimming pools in a backyard.

san-alfonso-del-mar_26.jpg

Edited by CLT2014

According to that rendering, Cam Newton will be Aquaman instead of Superman, as our practice fields are now underwater.

1 person likes this

Poor DeeDee. Her (Seven Eagles) hole has been dry for years now.

Edited by Miesian Corners
3 people like this

It's gross and stupid. Sounds like a 1950s developer's pipe dream: a gigantic cement pond with sand.

There, I said it.

1 person likes this

Probably a stupid question, but where would the get water for such a project if no on Lake Norman or the river?  There are no creeks around to support such a venture and I don't think that the water would provide such a massive amount.

On the off chance they did stick that thing there it would be good incentive for Cats to make the Silver light rail line go to the airport.

16 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Poor DeeDee. Her (Seven Eagles) hole has been dry for years now.

Man am I glad you included (Seven Eagles)!

1 person likes this